Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 30, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #35,491 of 46,514
So its been an interesting day.

The 650 and the Jotunheim both arrived today within a couple hours of each other (Jot via Fed Ex, 650 via USPS).

Since Jot came first I paired it with my Beyer T90, which has been my only can for the past few months. I've gotten quite accustomed to its lively signature and elevated treble and super detail. Its an awesome pairing.

Then the 650 came and I was shocked. Not really 100% shocked because I knew the 650 was dark but I wasn't prepared for how dark. Through the Jotunheim my initial impressions were not good at all, especially since I'd heard so many people raving about this pairing. These are just my initial impressions so please keep that in mind.

Where is the bloody treble??? These cans are so unbelievably dark its almost comical. Is Sennheiser playing a prank? And this is a guy who owned the HD600 for a while (and loved them) so I am used to the Sennheiser house sound and the 600 is not very bright... But they are like Grados compared to the 650!

I calmed down and realized I had been using Beyers for a while and going from treble elevated cans to the 650 was probably going to be...weird at first. But I was not prepared for this level of DARK.

I immediately went about applying the coin, rear foam, and dynamat mods (someone sent me dynamat) that I'd read about.

There was an immediate and striking improvement and I was not as turned off anymore but they are still relatively dark, just not virtually unlistenable like before.

I am still uncertain about the 650. To say they are going to take getting used to is an understatement. I almost feel like the only way I'm going to keep these is if I get a silver dragon cable, which is supposed to brighten them up (no cable debates please!).

You modded the HD 650 on Day One? Wow!

Sep 30, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #35,492 of 46,514
Yeah I think you really jumped the gun on the 650 mod! I guess you don't believe in equipment burn-in (no debates please) but sheesh give your equipment time to settle in for a few days. Also give your brain a chance to recognize how terrific the 650's really sound.

Sep 30, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #35,493 of 46,514
@ColtMrFire that's exactly how the HD650 sounded to me 10+ years ago when I first heard it.  I was coming from the Grado SR225, which was not exactly dark
biggrin.gif
  A silver cable helps (I use a Zu Mobius), but will not drastically change the treble.  After you get used to it and compare it to a variety of headphones, you will realize that it is actually natural sounding.  I use mine side by side with an SR-009 and HD800 and I don't find the HD650 missing treble at all; the other cans are just brighter, and brighter does not mean more resolving!

Sep 30, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #35,498 of 46,514
^ So you can "listen" to it now, with the mod? Barely tolerable or much better than without? But it's still not up to par with your expectation?

Without the mod they were unlistenable for my ears. I would've sold them immediately. I've heard cans that I needed to get used to but I still liked them enough to give them that chance. Unmodded the 650 was not something I was remotely interested in. Dark, muddy and veiled, for my own ears. With the mod they are much better, but still very hard to get used to. But I am still listening. Jazz sounded great (but still dark). Classical sounded awful. Pop/electronica sounds pretty good. These seem to work best with bright recordings to balance out the dark signature.

Sep 30, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #35,499 of 46,514
There was no way I was going to get used to the 650 without modding it. I could barely stand to listen without the mod. I can't get used to something I can't even listen to.

Haven't heard the 650 yet, but I have heard the beyer t90. Treble on that thing is not natural at all. One of the most coloured headphones I have heard.

Sep 30, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #35,500 of 46,514
And the opposite. T90 works best on darker or neutral music to balance the bright signature. With classical there is no contest. The bigger soundstage and livelier signature on the T90 definitely helps as well with classical.

Sep 30, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #35,502 of 46,514
You modded the HD 650 on Day One? Wow!

I don't blame him.  I wanted to return mine right away! Now, its my favorite headphone.

Many of us have gone through initial dismay with the 650's (I have already posted my story) but patience and time will reward you. A good amp and a good DAC will only heighten the scalability of these phones. My LP G109S and Bifrost MB is proof to me.

Sep 30, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #35,503 of 46,514
@ColtMrFire
 that's exactly how the HD650 sounded to me 10+ years ago when I first heard it.  I was coming from the Grado SR225, which was not exactly dark :D   A silver cable helps (I use a Zu Mobius), but will not drastically change the treble.  After you get used to it and compare it to a variety of headphones, you will realize that it is actually natural sounding.  I use mine side by side with an SR-009 and HD800 and I don't find the HD650 missing treble at all; the other cans are just brighter, and brighter does not mean more resolving!

How long did it take for you to get used to/enjoy the 650? And did you have others cans at the same time?

Sep 30, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #35,504 of 46,514
Without the mod they were unlistenable for my ears. I would've sold them immediately. I've heard cans that I needed to get used to but I still liked them enough to give them that chance. Unmodded the 650 was not something I was remotely interested in. Dark, muddy and veiled, for my own ears. With the mod they are much better, but still very hard to get used to. But I am still listening. Jazz sounded great (but still dark). Classical sounded awful. Pop/electronica sounds pretty good. These seem to work best with bright recordings to balance out the dark signature.

Agreed on the classical music and 650 -- bad.

It's still prob the best HP for female vocals -- Melody Gardot, Margot Timmins, Krall, Barber, Lynne.
Great for brass jazz -- oldies especially (Coltrane, Davis, Young).

Sep 30, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #35,505 of 46,514
I must admit, when I first bought 650 4 yrs ago (?) and heard it thru my BHA-1, I was shocked. VEIL.  Treble blunted. Yuck. But with time, I realized what a great can it was for my older, crappier recs that needed a forgiving HP -- and face it, for me, there are many times, like late at night, when I did not want to hear every little f---g detail in my recordings. The 650 (and now the 600) was the can I reached for at those times.

If I want to "be there", I attend a concert. Not reach for an HP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back