Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 5, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #34,879 of 46,564
  Nice move.
Try them first out of your O2/ODAC combo but indeed Crack will be a very good amp with these HD650. If you prefer a cooler sound, you also have Valhalla 2, very good amp which pairs with HD650 very well.

Thank you for your reply. Actually, I tried these cans with my O2/ODAC combo, and they sounded great imo. However, I also felt like the headphone could be even better when being paired with better amps, especially tube amps. I've read through many threads about these cans and Bottlehead Crack seemed to be one of the best choices within my budget. I'm currently living in EU, and ordering this tube amp online is now quite hard for me (including taxes, shipping cost and time). Ok, maybe I'll take a shot on Valhalla 2.   

Aug 5, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #34,880 of 46,564
Hi guys,
I am buying a HD650 soon..hoping to get the deal..

Just wanna ask..what is the difference of the HD650 old version vs new version..??

Thanks,
Jonathan

Expand your horizons from this site and research a little bit:
  1. http://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-hd650-600-and-580-updated-drivers/
  2. http://www.head-fi.org/t/380441/new-vs-old-hd650
  3. https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3oytfj/hd600hd650_driver_versions/
  4. http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650-page-2#ZF8PyQYCM3L5OICx.97

Aug 5, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #34,881 of 46,564
  Thank you for your reply. Actually, I tried these cans with my O2/ODAC combo, and they sounded great imo. However, I also felt like the headphone could be even better when being paired with better amps, especially tube amps. I've read through many threads about these cans and Bottlehead Crack seemed to be one of the best choices within my budget. I'm currently living in EU, and ordering this tube amp online is now quite hard for me (including taxes, shipping cost and time). Ok, maybe I'll take a shot on Valhalla 2.   

One of my favorite amps with the HD650 is a tricked out BH Crack w/ speedball (tricked out with film output caps, PS bypass caps, a better pot, etc.).  But if you can't source it, the Valhalla 2 (with Holland/Amperex tubes) is my other favorite tube amp (if your budget is under $500).  Valhalla2 scales more than the BH Crack, IME (conversely, the Crack isn't quite as dependent on a good DAC to hear it at its best).

If you're interested in a cool (trans)portable, solid state amp out of the UK that sounds very very good with the 650, the Neco Soundlab V5 gets my recommendation.

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #34,882 of 46,564
One of the best amplifier for the HD650 is a good vintage integrated amp or receiver w/ a high damping factor of 50+. A high damping factor amp makes the bass sound tight with no distortion whatsoever.  It also opens up the mids and depth sound of this superb headphone.

As one old time former Head-fi member put it in one of his posts (another internet site, not on Head-fi) : "the HD650 is not veiled, it's most of the amps used with the HD650 that are veiled."  I can concur with his opinion since I've tried the HD650 with such an amp and the sound is outstanding.  

Another amp that is incredible w/ the HD650 is the Eddie Current Zana Deux (original, SE or Super.)

Just my opinion, hope it helps.

Aug 5, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #34,883 of 46,564
Thank you guys so much for your recommendations. They would be great helps for me to find out my own set-up for the HD650. Actually, I had a chance to give these cans paired w/ Eddie Current Zana Deux in a portable audio show, and the sound was perfectly beautiful. However, it's far away from my budget. Under 500$, maybe I found out some good answers falling within my budget after some research. :)

Aug 5, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #34,884 of 46,564

You might also want to look at Feliks Audio, they have 2 tube amps Espressivo (much like a Valhalla2) and Elise (closer to EC ZDS) that are getting great reviews for driving the HD-650 and since they are based in Poland it might be easier for you to get.

Aug 5, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #34,886 of 46,564
The espressivo looks pretty slick. Not a whole lot of reviews on them yet to form a consensus though.

Btw, my Bimby is in the house. Letting it warm up while I'm at work.

Aug 5, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #34,888 of 46,564
I know this probably a bit of a ridiculous question, but please humor me:

Are the HD650's really going to sound that bad out of just an iPhone 6S (no external Dac/amp)?

It certainly won't be the most exciting listen ever, and quite far from what the 650s are capable of. They're not really "on the go" headphones, either- probably best listened to in a fairly calm, quiet situation with an amp, or even an amp and DAC. Driving 300 Ohm headphones directly from a phone is verging on cruel and unusual!

Aug 6, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #34,890 of 46,564
The HD 650 is usable on the iPhone 6S plus. Will it sound as good as the Chord Hugo + Taurus MKII? Ofcourse not. But it's still listenable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back