Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #33,226 of 46,520

back to hd650, senn is asking me 64,44 € for new pads :'(  I remembered they were expensive, but wow.

They're about EUR50 at thomann inc. delivery. But still I agree they are expensive.

I recently saved on delivery cost and exchange rates when I bought the pads along with some other stuff from there. It still made me wince at paying that price. My current pads are about 2yrs old and they're getting a bit flat.

Mar 15, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #33,227 of 46,520

Quote:  
for the record you never see me say that you can't improve your final sound with a better DAC or amp,

Starting to shift the goalposts a little?

And Jason Stoddard is on a sales pitch remember...his word is not Gospel.

I'm not going to fall in to the Castleofargh confusion trap this time friend
wink_face.gif

I'll let you go on if you must...

Mar 17, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #33,230 of 46,520
Mar 17, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #33,232 of 46,520
old post

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #33,234 of 46,520
I don't think the HD 650 particularly excels with movies & gaming but it's fantastically musical.

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #33,235 of 46,520
  Hi all,

You know how it is, with 2216 pages of posts, you have to start asking some questions that are already "asked and answered" as they say in the court room dramas :)

I own an HD 800 (which I'm selling BTW) but I was wondering if there is anyone here who owns both the HD 800 and the HD 650, either at the same time or at one point or another? I'm the odd bird here as I, believe it or not, used the HD 800 much more for home theater, Xbox and even regular TV. (I should point out that while we know that most AVR's are crap with regards to headphones there are actually two that work brilliantly with headphones: A good DAC, virtual surround and plenty of power. One is Yamaha's flagship model. I own the other one, the Denon flagship model AVR-X72000WA).The big sound stage of the HD 800's makes it great for this application. But I'm selling my HD 800 and considering a downgrade. I've been looking a lot at the HD 650. There seems to be a lot of debate about whether or not the 650 is better than the 600 but I'm leaning towards the 650. Before I pull the trigger on the HD 650 I would like some feedback,advice and experience from 650 owners. First, is there anyone here that can compare the HD 800 vs HD 650 from actual experience? Second, if you are a 650 owner, have you tried it with anything similar to what I've done? And even if you haven't, how's the bass and sound stage in the 650? The 650 and 800 are both 300 ohms, both open but about $1000 apart. I'm selling my HD 800's regardless, but am I bonkers for considering such a "downgrade"? Will the sound stage close in on me with the 650? Pros, cons? 

Another thing I could mention is that I never really enjoyed the HD 800s with music except for classical and similar music but that's not my genre. For music I'm using my modded Fostex TH900 and Audeze LCD-X with much more enjoyment. (If your into electronica, the Fostex are awesome!). The Audezes are open with low impedance and do work well in the same way I described my HD 800 usage above but they are really heavy and become quite fatiguing after a while.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

For what you want the HD-650 for I use a HD-700, easier to drive out of most AVR's, sound stage almost like a HD-800 and great for hearing dialogue in movies.  And like you the HD-800 does not get too much use for music other than classical and sometimes jazz if its well recorded.  I also have a TH-600 which I agree are great for EDM and other genres where you want the bass kick and a LCD-2f for when I want a little better sub-bass over the HD-650.

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #33,236 of 46,520
  I'm considering getting those
I have a Modi 2 Uber and a Vali 2
How well will they sound together?

From what others have posted here the Vali2 is a good pairing with the HD-650, I've tried the original Vali and didn't care for it but from what those are saying who have had both its no contest with the newer one.

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #33,239 of 46,520
  darn you Zeos!!! but the measurements don't look too good. 
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT50RPMk3.pdf
dat bass roll off.

Yeah it's like a straight 45.  I've read here people say the mids are recessed even more than the X2's and that's what I didn't like about the X2's.  His demo sound did sound good though but you can tell the vocals were recessed and far.  Well I guess if you don't mind that signature then should be good.  He hyped it so much I almost bought one from Musician's Friend with promo code for $115, lol.  But I was like, I better read some more reviews first.  Anyways, I just finally picked up a 650 so didn't want to spend more.  Can't wait to hear it.

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #33,240 of 46,520
On that note, I finally did the "coin mod" because I have my replacement pads and foam from Sennheiser. The coin mod improves the treble immensely; I'm hearing more micro-details, more precision, and less grain. Trailing notes and decay are not sounding as muffled. If anyone is reluctant to try the mod, give it a shot. I will send you my brand new foam from Sennheiser if you prefer stock.

I have hyperacusis, and so far there is no fatigue at all... they just sound as described above. (Don't remove the foam entirely, as posted in the last while... silly silly.)

Crappy picture showing the mod and also the new foam pads:

Good job I felt the hole mod concentrated the sound through the hole more which made headphone placement much more important which can be annoying to adjust for optimal results. But overall my opinion of the coin mod is same as yours more details, more resolution, less veiled.

I have my back side modded like this at the moment and I'd say it's like the coin mod it further increases resolution, treble and midrange is incredibly clean. The drivers can finally breathe. Though having it open like this can be very bad for dust to get in and ruin your headphone. I am going to make it dust proof soon. I am also adding dynamat to the back tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back