Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #33,091 of 46,514
  I too own the 650's - my last purchase actually and a few others. I also have the LCD2 Fazors and a few others.

My go to Headphone is there Mr. Speakers Alpha Dog - no real need for the Prime - too expensive for what it brings to the table - very open sounding!

Here are some suggestions:

Philips Fidelio X2 (if you like the 650's you'll love these
NAD Visio  HP50
Grado PS500's (originals not the e or it series)

And lastly, but not least, the Focal Classics.

At the end of the day if I go listen to each headphone with the same song via the same source the Alpha Dogs win hands down but I suspect from what I have read on this forum that I have one of the 'perfect' pairs.

IF you can find a used pair or buy one on sale now - DO IT. They are tweakable and they supply the tweaks!

I love the 650 also and my Alpha Dogs are great.
Why do you love the Alpha Dogs over the LCD2?

Mar 6, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #33,092 of 46,514
I find the LCD2's uncomfortable - that's the sole reason  and too heavy - but I believe with two purchases last week, the new Audeze Carbon Fibre Headband or the Suspension band I bought from a member I will alleviate that problem.

One other thing - On my Alpha Dogs I opened the little slots up just a tad with the hex wrench and now I get something like the deep sub bass notes on songs where they exist.

Hope that helps. the 650's weigh nothing really and are good enough.

As I more or less forced my lovely into listening to the same song on all the headphones one after the other - she said - they ALL sound great to me.

So there you have it from someone who listens to a very good stereo system most of the time :) My Wife!

Mar 6, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #33,094 of 46,514
  I find the LCD2's uncomfortable - that's the sole reason  and too heavy - but I believe with two purchases last week, the new Audeze Carbon Fibre Headband or the Suspension band I bought from a member I will alleviate that problem.

One other thing - On my Alpha Dogs I opened the little slots up just a tad with the hex wrench and now I get something like the deep sub bass notes on songs where they exist.

Hope that helps. the 650's weigh nothing really and are good enough.

As I more or less forced my lovely into listening to the same song on all the headphones one after the other - she said - they ALL sound great to me.

So there you have it from someone who listens to a very good stereo system most of the time :) My Wife!

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #33,096 of 46,514
I have a quick question!

Are the HD650s normally $300 now?

It's one of the headphones that's truly hard to put a standard price on in my opinion. It can float anywhere from $300-500 seemingly depending on the time of year and maybe stock too. I think though if you pay more than $400 you maybe overpaid and could of waited it out.

Mar 6, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #33,097 of 46,514
It's one of the headphones that's truly hard to put a standard price on in my opinion. It can float anywhere from $300-500 seemingly depending on the time of year and maybe stock too. I think though if you pay more than $400 you maybe overpaid and could of waited it out.

Thanks for the response!

Do you think I should pull the trigger on them if I am able to get them for $300? My current over ear headphones are Sennheiser Momentum 1s. Which I got for $350 when they first released.....

Mar 6, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #33,101 of 46,514
  OK!!!

The thing about the $300 is kind of iffy. I technically pay $500 for the headphones and $200 gift card to Amazon. 

The HD-650 is currently $417 on Amazon, this is on the higher side, it was $290 in Dec.

You could use the $200 gift card for other purchases, tough decision.

What will you be using to drive the HD-650?

Mar 6, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #33,102 of 46,514

The HD-650 is currently $417 on Amazon, this is on the higher side, it was $290 in Dec.

You could use the $200 gift card for other purchases, tough decision.

Thank you for the time you invested to research the price on Amazon! Hahaha

I actually don't have an amp or dac. I was thinking of using the gift card to buy the amp/dac.

I read a few threads on what amp/dac combo works well with the HD650s. I saw many headfi users say the magni/modi combo doesn't work all that well with the HD650. If that's true, what should I use gift card on?

Mar 6, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #33,103 of 46,514
  Thank you for the time you invested to research the price on Amazon! Hahaha

I actually don't have an amp or dac. I was thinking of using the gift card to buy the amp/dac.

I read a few thread on what amp/dac combo works well with the HD650s. I saw many headfi users say the magni/modi combo doesn't work all that well with the HD650. If that's true, what should I use gift card on?

If your budget is $200 then the Aune T1 MkII works quite well, got one for a friend who has the HD-650 and K7XX, she really enjoys this combination.  The other amp that seems to be getting a lot of attention is the Vali2 so you could pair it with a Modi2, will be close to $300 for both including shipping. 

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #33,104 of 46,514
Why not just save that 200$ and wait til the 400i are on sale for 300$. Then add in an extra 100$ and you have 2 different headphones, so you can switch between them depending on your mood. For an amp, go for a lyr2 and bitfrost dac. Then theres your endgame setup.

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #33,105 of 46,514
The Maverick D1 was my entry DAC/Amp combo and it goes well with the HD650 in my opinion. It doesn't do so hot for some headphones I've had but the HD650 combo was fine for the price I paid for it. Mind you I had the original D1 and I think they've done well to improve their product since then
http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/tube_magic_d1

edit: New Maverick D1 Plus http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/d1p

There is a Maverick D1 thread on Head-Fi, take a stroll over there and see if it interests you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back