Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #32,806 of 46,523
  Have you ever heard the O2 with the 650's?

No. I have the BHA-1 to keep me smiling.
biggrin.gif
cool.gif
beerchug.gif

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #32,807 of 46,523
  Not crackle, but a tiny halo of fuzz or courseness where the driver isn't responding in a way to allow the treble to flow through naturally.

Have you ever heard the O2 with the 650's?

Honestly, it's probably more gear/source dependent than anything else... it's also entirely a non-issue with the 650's IMO... at least 75% of the artists I enjoy are female vocalists. If we're going to nitpick with the 650's vs the 800's, I would say the difference in dynamics afforded to instruments such as flutes or violins on the 800's is a much more noticeable comparison. This is why the 800's kill with orchestral or classical.

This makes sense, I usually use the HD-800, T-1, and SR-009 mainly for classical where they are superb.

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #32,808 of 46,523
No. I have the BHA-1 to keep me smiling. :D :cool: :beerchug:

Exactly. I am tempted to get a BHA-1 and compare to some other amps myself. I have the ecp Black Diamond on loan right now and I'd enjoy comparing the two. The BD works very well to give the 800's a full, rich tone and kicking bass. I find it a bit thick for the 650's. Also less overall detail retrieval in comparison with the Zana Deux.

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #32,811 of 46,523
Exactly. I am tempted to get a BHA-1 and compare to some other amps myself. I have the ecp Black Diamond on loan right now and I'd enjoy comparing the two. The BD works very well to give the 800's a full, rich tone and kicking bass. I find it a bit thick for the 650's. Also less overall detail retrieval in comparison with the Zana Deux.

Bay-Bloor in Toronto carries BHA-1. There's also one on CAM for $900 or so?

Zana Deux is a dream amp, but it's outta my reach $$. I just don't spend that much time with HPs, but if I did....

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #32,813 of 46,523
The T1 (1st gen) had had slightly too much treble zing for me with violins - in a way that was not wholly accurate to what the instrument sounds live. It also detracted from the enjoyment of music listening. For me strings, especially in chamber compositions are more realistic on the HD 650 - though even the latter of course is not wholly comparable to the real thing.

With orchestral music, the T1 presented a larger and cohesive 'headstage' than the HD 650, and the treble is less glaring which makes the listening experience more enjoyable. The detail it presents was also addictive.

However, I came to the conclusion that I was enjoying music more with the HD 650 and my other cans. Took a little while to decide on my sound preference, and listening priorities, but the T1 went and HD 650 stayed. My current collection satisfy my preferences.

I haven't heard the T1 2nd gen or either of the HD 800 models though. I wouldn't mind a open 'neutral' headphone in future.

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #32,814 of 46,523

However, I came to the conclusion that I was enjoying music more with the HD 650 and my other cans. Took a little while to decide on my sound preference, and listening priorities, but the T1 went and HD 650 stayed. My current collection satisfy my preferences.

Great choice. I had T1 too. lasted 2 weeks, then sold it. Got the 650.
I think you would love the HE560. For classical, it does it for me.

beerchug.gif

Feb 22, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #32,816 of 46,523

The T1 (1st gen) had had slightly too much treble zing for me with violins - in a way that was not wholly accurate to what the instrument sounds live. It also detracted from the enjoyment of music listening. For me strings, especially in chamber compositions are more realistic on the HD 650 - though even the latter of course is not wholly comparable to the real thing.

With orchestral music, the T1 presented a larger and cohesive 'headstage' than the HD 650, and the treble is less glaring which makes the listening experience more enjoyable. The detail it presents was also addictive.

I haven't heard the T1 2nd gen or either of the HD 800 models though. I wouldn't mind a open 'neutral' headphone in future.

The T1 Gen 2 pretty much eliminates that treble zing and is a little warmer(just slightly) over the original T1, still has that fantastic imaging/ I borrowed the T1 Gen 2 for like a week.

Feb 23, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #32,818 of 46,523
  Can any one recommend me short cable for HD600 which would be an upgrade?

The stock isn't that bad. Exactly what are you seeking to improve upon with a cable u.g.?

HP cables are hard to discern "upgrade" quality, at least with my 650. Don't know about 600.

cheers

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #32,819 of 46,523
Not much love for T1 here but I still like it for select genres, agree with most that it can be overly bright and not sound correct with some instruments, violin being one of them.

@Zankes - Cables are the last thing that I would "upgrade" and for me have never made any sonic difference.  As @CanadianMaestro noted the stock cables are pretty good, a bit long for some maybe.

Feb 23, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #32,820 of 46,523
Not much love for T1 here but I still like it for select genres, agree with most that it can be overly bright and not sound correct with some instruments, violin being one of them.

@Zankes
 - Cables are the last thing that I would "upgrade" and for me have never made any sonic difference.  As @CanadianMaestro
 noted the stock cables are pretty good, a bit long for some maybe.

I found the T1 a bit too bright myself, great headphone though and with the right system won't really have any complaints. Sadly didn't have the right system for them when I borrowed them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back