Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 12, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #31,156 of 46,527

I have actually been eyeballing the original Vali this past week, and nearly pulled the trigger on one, but thought I would be pining to try tube rolling and didn't do it. Now comes along the Vali 2. On paper, it looks to be a pretty decent upgrade to the original Vali (and a perfect "starter amp" for tube n00bz), even though the cost is a bit more. It looks like it's going to be fairly flexible as well, something I appreciate as everything I own (aside from the 650) are easy to drive 'phones.

My biggest concern (not knowing ANYTHING about tubes) is possible channel imbalance due to only having a single tube for both channels. As mentioned, Schiit does mention this as a possible issue, so I worry about trying to roll tubes and ending up being disappointed when the tubes aren't balanced, and I have wasted my precious (little) money.  I am guessing there are ways to avoid this, how, I don't know...

Also, when I look at web sites to order tubes, I am totally lost. I tried typing in the tube info that Schiit provides on their website, but it didn't seem to help me sort out my confusion. Additionally, I am not sure what "kind" of tube to look for in regards to the Vali 2 amp, Schiit says double triodes, however that means absolutely nothing to me and typing that in on the sites for buying tubes yields no results. Instead of sorting by type, they seem to sort by by model number.

Is there a good web site I can read to help educate myself? Maybe a beginners crash course or something not too technical or easy to understand without having knowledge of electric circuits.

That's the problem-joy of tube amps, depending on your opinion. Either it's fun playing with the different tubes for sound, performance, etc; OR it's just a big PITA.
I used to enjoy endlessly tweaking my system over all the little details but later burned out on that. Now I just want to turn it on and listen to the music, ticks me off when she don't sound right.

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #31,157 of 46,527
Dec 12, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #31,158 of 46,527
Dec 12, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #31,159 of 46,527

I have actually been eyeballing the original Vali this past week, and nearly pulled the trigger on one, but thought I would be pining to try tube rolling and didn't do it. Now comes along the Vali 2. On paper, it looks to be a pretty decent upgrade to the original Vali (and a perfect "starter amp" for tube n00bz), even though the cost is a bit more. It looks like it's going to be fairly flexible as well, something I appreciate as everything I own (aside from the 650) are easy to drive 'phones.

My biggest concern (not knowing ANYTHING about tubes) is possible channel imbalance due to only having a single tube for both channels. As mentioned, Schiit does mention this as a possible issue, so I worry about trying to roll tubes and ending up being disappointed when the tubes aren't balanced, and I have wasted my precious (little) money.  I am guessing there are ways to avoid this, how, I don't know...

Also, when I look at web sites to order tubes, I am totally lost. I tried typing in the tube info that Schiit provides on their website, but it didn't seem to help me sort out my confusion. Additionally, I am not sure what "kind" of tube to look for in regards to the Vali 2 amp, Schiit says double triodes, however that means absolutely nothing to me and typing that in on the sites for buying tubes yields no results. Instead of sorting by type, they seem to sort by by model number.

Is there a good web site I can read to help educate myself? Maybe a beginners crash course or something not too technical or easy to understand without having knowledge of electric circuits.

From the Schitt website...........
Roll Your Own Sound
Vali 2 is supplied with a single NOS RCA 6BZ7 tube, which can be swapped for the same tubes we use in Lyr 2 and Mjolnir 2—feel free to use virtually any ECC88, 6922, 6DJ8, 2492, etc to “roll” the sound to your own preference. Plus, you only need a single tube, so rolling is easy and more affordable!  Look for the 6dj8 or 6922 on Ebay, loads of them there.

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #31,160 of 46,527
For female jazz vocals I think some of you guys should take a listen to:

1) Inger Marie Gundersen 
2) Viktoria Tolstoy
3) Fiona Joy
4) Heck.........I've even recently started to listen to Tracy Chapman's Greatest hits :)

edit:

add +

5)Beth Rowley "little dreamer" album

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #31,161 of 46,527
  I didn't look at amazon.com...I'm afraid my sinking horrible Canadian dollar does not allow me to shop in the US anymore :frowning2:

I do not know your current amp but the most drastic change in SQ is usually swapping headphones if your going from 1 solid state to another.  If you jumping from Solid state to tubes....that's going to give you some more additional flavour to your music. 

I've have aproximately $800 dollars worth of power conditioning to my headphone rig and I do find that this relaxes and provides flow to my system. There's alot of ways to play in this hobby :)

I currently have a Magni 2 Uber, but I think I'm looking to upgrade to a Lyr 2.  Someday I'd like to step up to the HE-6 or mess around with a LCD-2/3 when I land a real time job.  SS and tubes in 1 would be ideal for me, and I would never have to worry about having enough power.  Trying to pick up a used one though, it's so spendy!  I actually just recently bought the Magni, so I can return it if I'm fast enough on the trigger, but id rather not throw down 500 for it if I can find a used one.  Drat the 2 private message rule for new users.  It's gonna limit my ability to converse with sellers.

Also I looked it up and it seems like they had the 650's for 300 on Black Friday......

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #31,162 of 46,527
A great vintage jazz record with excellent sound is Gerry Mulligan Meets Ben Webster. The upright bass is one of the best sounding I've heard and both saxes are very lifelike.

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #31,163 of 46,527

I currently have a Magni 2 Uber, but I think I'm looking to upgrade to a Lyr 2.  Someday I'd like to step up to the HE-6 or mess around with a LCD-2/3 when I land a real time job.  SS and tubes in 1 would be ideal for me, and I would never have to worry about having enough power.  Trying to pick up a used one though, it's so spendy!  I actually just recently bought the Magni, so I can return it if I'm fast enough on the trigger, but id rather not throw down 500 for it if I can find a used one.  Drat the 2 private message rule for new users.  It's gonna limit my ability to converse with sellers.

Also I looked it up and it seems like they had the 650's for 300 on Black Friday......

Man.....$300 USD!!! that is such an insane price!!

Try to audition as many headphones as possible. I wouldn't buy the LCD 3 due to is high rate of failure. My Local shop is very leary of selling them knowing RMA will eat the profit pie in shipping costs for repairs.

If there are things to upgrade I'd go with upgrading source (DAC) and headphones. Your current modest amp can happily power majority of headphones out there. Spending more money on an amp is inevitable but my "opinion" your better off buying a better dac or change your headphones first. 

You will always have upgraditis but methodically choose what will reap the biggest change in SQ. 

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #31,164 of 46,527
  That's the problem-joy of tube amps, depending on your opinion. Either it's fun playing with the different tubes for sound, performance, etc; OR it's just a big PITA.
I used to enjoy endlessly tweaking my system over all the little details but later burned out on that. Now I just want to turn it on and listen to the music, ticks me off when she don't sound right.

Yeah, I think it really becomes a love/hate type of deal. I look at vinyl in the same light. Fussing over your record collection, constantly tweaking and adjusting your 'table, etc. Frankly, I was a bit overwhelmed when I started seriously looking at getting into vinyl.
confused_face(1).gif
I settled on a cheap automatic table that has no adjustments or options. It's ok (at best), but my digital system sounds significantly better, and the only real fussing I need to do, is what I place on myself (DAC, amp, & speaker/headphone choices). I'd like to eventually get a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon 'table, but I don't see it happening any time soon. Records themselves are costly (seems everyone is a collector these days), so I don't buy much of it.

Anyway, I do really want to try tubes. I am sure it is a lot of fussing as well, but I like what the Vali 2 seems to offer. In all honesty, I also like that it can be used as a tube preamp as well. That flexibility is part of the appeal for me. I was thinking I could toss it into my full size system for a listen there too. That way, I would have an opportunity to try tubes in both the headphone environment, and 2 channel environment, with a minimal cash outlay.

Once I sort out tube rolling a bit, I can venture down that path as well. If I don't like the fuss, then I can just stop and either use the tubes I have collected or sell the whole lot and move on.
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #31,165 of 46,527
  Man.....$300 USD!!! that is such an insane price!!

Try to audition as many headphones as possible. I wouldn't buy the LCD 3 due to is high rate of failure. My Local shop is very leary of selling them knowing RMA will eat the profit pie in shipping costs for repairs.

If there are things to upgrade I'd go with upgrading source (DAC) and headphones. Your current modest amp can happily power majority of headphones out there. Spending more money on an amp is inevitable but my "opinion" your better off buying a better dac or change your headphones first. 

You will always have upgraditis but methodically choose what will reap the biggest change in SQ. 

Right now I have a modi 2 uber for my DAC, would it really be worth upgrading that over my amp? 

And, yea, I've heard that LCD's have had some pretty bad rep for returns, probably would stick with Hifiman's, I really need to get to a meetup and listen to some high end stuff before I pull the trigger on that high of purchase.  I'm not looking to make that move for awhile.

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #31,167 of 46,527

Right now I have a modi 2 uber for my DAC, would it really be worth upgrading that over my amp? 

And, yea, I've heard that LCD's have had some pretty bad rep for returns, probably would stick with Hifiman's, I really need to get to a meetup and listen to some high end stuff before I pull the trigger on that high of purchase.  I'm not looking to make that move for awhile.

The entire system is a chain of events. Having a weak link will always be a weak link.

The headphone will be a drastic change. The DAC will be the second IMO and the headphone amp will be the 3rd. 

To put into perspective my Tube dac with my inexpensive 02 objective amp can easily sound as good if not better than my Burson Virtuoso using the internal burr brown chipset DAC.

Higher you go up the wallet empty adventure in amplifiers you can get smoother more refined sound. At the end of the day your wallet will decide the rewards you will get in dumping more money into your personal headphone rig. Forums like this seems to fuel the "keeping up with the Joneses". 

Headphones is a very private thing yet we all tend to preach the "best" when your personal ears is what matters. Listen to opinions and read reviews but ultimately use your ears as the judge :)

Swap your headphones and see if you can hear major differences in SQ....I bet you will!!  I've had this discussion with many audio friends. Certainly headphone amps can sound warmer, cooler, neutral, analytical or musical.  Your DAC can have a house sound and it can also change the overall sound going to your headphones. 

My point is that this is all about system synergy. 

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #31,168 of 46,527
  All this talk 'bout tubes is hellish for me....PTSD coming back....post-tube stress disorder. 
eek.gif

Pete, I think you should have tried the WA6 SE.  The difference in external unit for the power supply is a nice jump in SQ.

Now that I've seen the variation of tubes of the ember amp..I think that's a fun variable tweaking amp :)

I'm still having fun with tubes :) I've found the sweet spot i'm looking for in the mids.  Now I'm adding more power conditioning and cable swapping :)

I love this hobby!!

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #31,169 of 46,527
  The entire system is a chain of events. Having a weak link will always be a weak link.

The headphone will be a drastic change. The DAC will be the second IMO and the headphone amp will be the 3rd. 

To put into perspective my Tube dac with my inexpensive 02 objective amp can easily sound as good if not better than my Burson Virtuoso using the internal burr brown chipset DAC.

Higher you go up the wallet empty adventure in amplifiers you can get smoother more refined sound. At the end of the day your wallet will decide the rewards you will get in dumping more money into your personal headphone rig. Forums like this seems to fuel the "keeping up with the Joneses". 

Headphones is a very private thing yet we all tend to preach the "best" when your personal ears is what matters. Listen to opinions and read reviews but ultimately use your ears as the judge :)

Swap your headphones and see if you can hear major differences in SQ....I bet you will!!  I've had this discussion with many audio friends. Certainly headphone amps can sound warmer, cooler, neutral, analytical or musical.  Your DAC can have a house sound and it can also change the overall sound going to your headphones. 

My point is that this is all about system synergy. 

Thanks for bringing me back down to the real world.  I really need to hit up a meetup or a shop and spend time listening.  Everyone has there own type of music they listen to, and what kind of sound they like and you have to match your system to that preference.

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #31,170 of 46,527
  Yeah, I think it really becomes a love/hate type of deal. I look at vinyl in the same light. Fussing over your record collection, constantly tweaking and adjusting your 'table, etc. Frankly, I was a bit overwhelmed when I started seriously looking at getting into vinyl.
confused_face(1).gif
I settled on a cheap automatic table that has no adjustments or options. It's ok (at best), but my digital system sounds significantly better, and the only real fussing I need to do, is what I place on myself (DAC, amp, & speaker/headphone choices). I'd like to eventually get a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon 'table, but I don't see it happening any time soon. Records themselves are costly (seems everyone is a collector these days), so I don't buy much of it.

Anyway, I do really want to try tubes. I am sure it is a lot of fussing as well, but I like what the Vali 2 seems to offer. In all honesty, I also like that it can be used as a tube preamp as well. That flexibility is part of the appeal for me. I was thinking I could toss it into my full size system for a listen there too. That way, I would have an opportunity to try tubes in both the headphone environment, and 2 channel environment, with a minimal cash outlay.

Once I sort out tube rolling a bit, I can venture down that path as well. If I don't like the fuss, then I can just stop and either use the tubes I have collected or sell the whole lot and move on.
biggrin.gif

Go for it bro, and as long as it's fun have a ball.
I'm a major firearms collector and sport/target shooter. I started out doing my own ammo reloading for the cost savings but eventually got into it as a hobby all it's own. A lot of friends ask me "man that's a lot of work, looks like a major PITA", What can I say, I enjoy it, it's relaxing for me to be sitting at the press cranking out ammo, experimenting with different loads for improved accuracy, etc. 
As long as you enjoy it, do it.
As far as vinyl, I won't go there, it would only start a war with the analog-philes
But Rice Krispies are better saved for breakfast.  LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back