Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #30,541 of 46,506
OK, I jumped on both the 600 and the 650. At these prices, I couldn't not do it.
tongue.gif

I didn't even think that these may be old stock (older versions) of these headphones. Fingers crossed that it's the new ones! 
popcorn.gif

Nov 21, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #30,542 of 46,506
  OK, I jumped on both the 600 and the 650. At these prices, I couldn't not do it.
tongue.gif

I didn't even think that these may be old stock (older versions) of these headphones. Fingers crossed that it's the new ones! 
popcorn.gif

It won't be legitimate old stock (black "driver" versions). Unless they have stock from like 5 years ago. You might get the different color box, but it's the same headphone and not the old veiled HD650.

If you somehow get an old veiled black driver HD650, let me know. I've kinda always wanted one.

Nov 21, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #30,543 of 46,506
The only technical change happened a long time ago around 2007. The drivers changed from black to silver and tweaks were made to the sound signature. Maybe. There's a silver hologram sticker on the back of the left-hand driver on everything post - 2007 as far as I know. I seriously doubt that there are any stock items anywhere near that vintage. The next change was only to the packaging, a couple of years ago, when it went from silver to black.

Nov 21, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #30,544 of 46,506

It won't be legitimate old stock (black "driver" versions). Unless they have stock from like 5 years ago. You might get the different color box, but it's the same headphone and not the old veiled HD650.

If you somehow get an old veiled black driver HD650, let me know. I've kinda always wanted one.

SNAP!
beerchug.gif

Nov 21, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #30,545 of 46,506
The only technical change happened a long time ago around 2007. The drivers changed from black to silver and tweaks were made to the sound signature. Maybe. There's a silver hologram sticker on the back of the left-hand driver on everything post - 2007 as far as I know. I seriously doubt that there are any stock items anywhere near that vintage. The next change was only to the packaging, a couple of years ago, when it went from silver to black.

Thank you very much for the explanation.
For a while I thought that I missed a recent update.
:beerchug:

Nov 21, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #30,546 of 46,506

OK, so the chances of me getting an old version are practically nil then. I guess it doesn't matter a whole lot, but I suppose I would rather have the latest/greatest iteration available.

Good to know. Thanks for posting. Once I get mine in the mail, I will let everyone know what version I have. Additionally, I will finally be able to become active ITT.

Right now, I am using an Emotiva DC-1 as it's a dac/amp combo and I like that I can use it in my full system as well as for my headphone rig with no fuss/swapping cables/etc.

I am seriously so excited that I can hardly contain myself! LOL!

By the way, have there been different revisions to the HD-600 as well? That question may be better suited for the 600 thread, but you all seem to be super knowledgeable IMO.

Nov 21, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #30,547 of 46,506

By the way, have there been different revisions to the HD-600 as well? That question may be better suited for the 600 thread, but you all seem to be super knowledgeable IMO.

Yes, older drivers had black screen, newer ones are silver. I had mine replaced with brand new drivers at some point and haven't noticed any difference...

More on it in Tyll's review (check the Page 2 for visual comparison):

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650#H5WeeOpwbJJtVrqt.97

Nov 21, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #30,548 of 46,506

Yes, older drivers had black screen, newer ones are silver. I had mine replaced with brand new drivers at some point and haven't noticed any difference...

More on it in Tyll's review (check the Page 2 for visual comparison):

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650#H5WeeOpwbJJtVrqt.97

Thanks for the link. Very informative and interesting read, to be sure. I love the way Tyll approaches his reviews. No hyperbole, with tons of experience, and with honesty at the forefront. Great read, I recommend everyone read that article if they haven't.
cool.gif

Nov 21, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #30,549 of 46,506
Went for a 650 since I think it will be more of an opposite for my 700 and I'd like to get some of this warm sound. My AD700 compared to my HD700 to me seem to have similar sounds focused I guess more toward the highs and is suited to when I listen to stuff like Paramore. But I think the 650 would be good when I listen to softer stuff like John Mayer. There goes this quarters bonus..

Nov 21, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #30,550 of 46,506
  Can I buy your HD 800's at a knock-down price when you inevitably come to sell them?
biggrin.gif

If I can afford the 800's  I would sell one of the 650's and keep the 800 and a 650.  Monies a little tight so it may be awhile.  Just got first snow fall today, so far 13 inches, some folks got over 14, not fun, two days ago cut grass for last time, 65 degrees.

Nov 21, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #30,551 of 46,506
I've owned 3 HD650's since 2011. The first two came in the silver outer packaging and the bluish display box. The latest one I have is less than 2 weeks old and came in the black outer packaging and black display box. All of them have the current silver material in front of the driver.

I was able to briefly compare my new HD650 with my last HD650 before shipping that off to its new owner and the differences were minuscule at best. The newer (black box) HD650 seemed a touch brighter, edgier in the upper registers, but I would attribute that to the stiffness of the pads that soften over time.

The only other difference is the silver hologram sticker visible through the mesh of one of the cups on the new HD650. I doubt this sticker has a bearing on sound and is indicative of any other change than a company wide policy to better implement authenticity checks. Highly doubtful that the mid to high end Senns are counterfeited but it could certainly be an issue for the myriad entry level models Sennheiser makes. Those would require some verification and it makes sense to also have a uniform authenticity sticker going up the range.

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #30,552 of 46,506
i ordered my hd650 from them a year ago for $294 :blush: and i got the new "blackbox" edition.i think they only showing the old stock photos ,i'm pretty sure everybody will get the new editions with the new box.

Nov 21, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #30,553 of 46,506

The one I bought used is claimed to be from 2004 and has the black screen. Maybe I should attempt to find a silver screen one at some point and compare.

Nov 22, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #30,555 of 46,506

The one I bought used is claimed to be from 2004 and has the black screen. Maybe I should attempt to find a silver screen one at some point and compare.

Black outside protective screen or the back of the driver seen inside the screen?
They all have black metal protective screens one the outside.
The newer ones have a silver shiny driver when you look INSIDE
The older ones have black drivers INSIDE
In any case I wouldn't be too concerned, some say they here a difference, some don't

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back