Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #28,891 of 46,565
Sep 11, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #28,893 of 46,565
Ok makes sense. So how do you use the aune t1 as a DAC? Is it the way it's plugged in? Or do you have to change something/add something to it?
To use it as a DAC only, just plug it to the laptop's usb port and use the RCA line out from the Aune T1 into a different amp. That way it retrieves and processes digital information via USB and converts it into analogue signal to be sent to a different amp via RCA cable. With this most basic setup, you don't need to make any changes to the unit itself or your playback software because usually your system (assuming windows) would automatically choose the Aune T1 as the preferred output.

Sep 11, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #28,894 of 46,565
To use it as a DAC only, just plug it to the laptop's usb port and use the RCA line out from the Aune T1 into a different amp. That way it retrieves and processes digital information via USB and converts it into analogue signal to be sent to a different amp via RCA cable. With this most basic setup, you don't need to make any changes to the unit itself or your playback software because usually your system (assuming windows) would automatically choose the Aune T1 as the preferred output.

I get it. I will try the hd650 with an amp first to see how I like them, then I will get a DAC and use like you just explained. I wonder how different the two experiences will be. Thanks for the help!

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #28,895 of 46,565
Better DAC's retrieve more information and/or present it in a more enjoyable way. Better (generally more powerful) amps are all about driving the headphones adequately to deal with transient loads. Some amps (mainly, but not exclusively, valve-based) allow further tuning of the final sound character.

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #28,896 of 46,565
The really superb, top-end DACs have separate power supplies (internally) for their analog and digital sections, that are "wired" to eliminate noise propagation.  And excellent chip implementation. For amps, the top ones have superb control over the HP drivers. (Adequate power, too of course. )

Sep 11, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #28,897 of 46,565
The really superb, top-end DACs have separate power supplies (internally) for their analog and digital sections, that are "wired" to eliminate noise propagation.  And excellent chip implementation. For amps, the top ones have superb control over the HP drivers. (Adequate power, too of course. )

Do these top end amps eliminate the need for a DAC as well? Or do you still need one?

Sep 11, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #28,898 of 46,565
Do these top end amps eliminate the need for a DAC as well? Or do you still need one?

No. You need a DAC somewhere along the signal path to convert the digital signal (from CD or digital file) into music. Even a computer sound card will have an internal DAC.  You can get some line preamps and integrated amps with built-in DACs (floor system). For HPs, there are headamps that combine a DAC + amp. TEAC has one, as do other brands. I hope I've understood your Q......

I'm outta here -- enjoy your WE.

Sep 11, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #28,899 of 46,565
No. You need a DAC somewhere along the signal path to convert the digital signal (from CD or digital file) into music. Even a computer sound card will have an internal DAC.  You can get some line preamps and integrated amps with built-in DACs (floor system). For HPs, there are headamps that combine a DAC + amp. TEAC has one, as do other brands. I hope I've understood your Q......

I'm outta here -- enjoy your WE.

I think you do understand my question. I'm just having a little issue understanding how each part works and what is necessary. I think I have a better understanding of it all now, though. Thanks for the help! Enjoy your weekend as well.

Sep 11, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #28,900 of 46,565
Highly recommended book on audio gear.

Robert Harley, The Complete Guide To High End Audio.
Chapters on DACs, amps, CDPs, etc.

This is not a shopping guide. It's a handy reference book on "how" things work.

Cheers

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #28,901 of 46,565

His system seems to be an older model, with a tape deck.

You got better eyes than this old man.  
wink.gif

Sep 12, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #28,902 of 46,565
So far with my LCD-2, I can tell that it will be partnered up with my HD650 and I'll listen to them the most. I'm not sure how to describe the differences between the two yet, but I think the HD650 is just in some ways...more musical? These next few months are going to be really fun
o2smile.gif

Sep 12, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #28,904 of 46,565
If anyone has had a chance yet to try the HD-650s with the new Schiit Mjolnir2 amp, please share your impressions !

I'm not necessarily opposed to getting a (for me) single-purpose dedicated amp like the BHC/speedball to match the 650s, but OTOH putting the money into a amp that can elevate the SQ of all my cans makes a lot of sense. (And I only have so much desk space.) 

Thanks !

Sep 12, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #28,905 of 46,565
The original Mjolnir is a fine amp for the HD650. I lived with it for a long time and loved how it gave the HD650 an angry streak. Bass is taut and controlled but hits hard, soundstage width is less confined, PRAT levels injecting energy without inducing fatigue. The original Mjolnir is an excellent match for the HD650, one that I suspect would best many of the matches that the usual suspects here advertise as the greatest of all. The Mjolnir 2 (with the solid state tubes) reportedly presents the original Mjolnir's qualities, but with greater refinement. With actual tubes, it's a different beast altogether. If the Mjolnir 2 can elevate other headphones, why wouldn't it also elevate the HD650 beyond the entry level amps spammed in this thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back