Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #28,861 of 46,565
That's exactly how I feel about the Polaris. Plus an experience I once had with one of the Little Dots doing a fireworks display in my front room. It kind of made me mistrust valves and reliability.

No problem at all though really with either my Ember or Polaris, so I ought to get over it.
tongue.gif

Geez, my greatest fear is tube fireworks with my WA6.  I have all my gear plugged into surge protectors, but still....Paranoia. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #28,862 of 46,565
Many here love the Ember and I'm no exception but for the HD-650 I find the BH Crack to be a better match.  I think its almost like they were designed to work together almost perfectly.  I also have a Lyr2 which is another good amp but for the HD-650 the Ember and BH Crack are better matches.
If you can only get one amp I would go for the Ember, the most versatile of any amp I've had the pleasure of trying, this is even after visiting my friend in Japan this pass week who has stuff that I only dream about and gave me an opportunity to try some fairly high end equipment in a purpose built room.
One thing I will say about the Bifrost and either the Valhalla2/Lyr2/Asgard2 is that the stack looks really nice.
If you are on a limited budget or just want something that is much better than out of computer headphone jack I would look at Aune T1, it was recommend to me by another here for a friend on a budget and it has worked out very well.  My friend only has 2 headphones, HD-650 and K7XX and the T1 work quite well with both.

Thanks, I will look more into the bh crack, ember and aune t1 as well then. I did notice that the crack and ember are both diy amps. I've never put one together before (or anything similar for that matter). Is it easy putting it together, or is it a complicated project?

Sep 11, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #28,863 of 46,565
Thanks, I will look more into the bh crack, ember and aune t1 as well then. I did notice that the crack and ember are both diy amps. I've never put one together before (or anything similar for that matter). Is it easy putting it together, or is it a complicated project?

The Ember can be bought fully assembled. Highly recommend that route, if you're manually challenged.
blink.gif

Sep 11, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #28,864 of 46,565

You need to know that the Aune T1 is only using the tube via usb. The line in is solid state.

Sep 11, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #28,865 of 46,565

Does anyone know where to get the Aune S16 as a DIY kit? A friend commented the S16 also pairs very well with the HD-650 and brings more 3D imaging than the Yulong D200... now pondering between these 2...

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #28,869 of 46,565
Would you consider this a positive thing for a setup with the hd650?

Absolutely not. The HD 650 sounds superb with the right valve & amp. For the record none of the valves I have for my Ember emit any noise whatsoever. Absolutely silent at all levels.

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #28,870 of 46,565
Absolutely not. The HD 650 sounds superb with the right valve & amp. For the record none of the valves I have for my Ember emit any noise whatsoever. Absolutely silent at all levels.

This makes sense. I won't get the aune t1 then. I think the ember will be my pick.

I am wondering if I will need a DAC as well. I've seen on this forum that a DAC is often used along with an amp. Is it completely necessary to use a DAC with the hd650 as well?

Btw I'd like to apologize to everyone for all the questions. I'm extremely new to this, and I would like to make sure I'm getting everything I need and also doing everything right.

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #28,871 of 46,565
This makes sense. I won't get the aune t1 then. I think the ember will be my pick.

I am wondering if I will need a DAC as well. I've seen on this forum that a DAC is often used along with an amp. Is it completely necessary to use a DAC with the hd650 as well?

Btw I'd like to apologize to everyone for all the questions. I'm extremely new to this, and I would like to make sure I'm getting everything I need and also doing everything right.
Do you have any stores that you can go to and audition gears?
I'd suggest you get the amp first. And then later on add a dac if you want to. For me personally using the Aune T1 as a DAC only, it helped immensely. Without it using my amp straight from my laptop, the sound is very constricted and in my head. It feels like you're scrunching your forehead while listening to music.

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #28,872 of 46,565
I'm thinking of getting a pair of HD650s since I enjoy all kinds of electronic music and I think it would suit me. Can any of you suggest a DAC/amp combo that:

-Is $300 or less
-Can drive a pair of HD 650s
-Has a built-in battery
-Is pocketable

Best regards,
John

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #28,873 of 46,565
Do you have any stores that you can go to and audition gears?
I'd suggest you get the amp first. And then later on add a dac if you want to. For me personally using the Aune T1 as a DAC only, it helped immensely. Without it using my amp straight from my laptop, the sound is very constricted and in my head. It feels like you're scrunching your forehead while listening to music.

I do not know of a store where I can do that. I've never looked into it. It would probably benefit me if I did something like that though.

So are you telling me that another amp can be used as a DAC?

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #28,875 of 46,565
For me personally using the Aune T1 as a DAC only, it helped immensely. Without it using my amp straight from my laptop, the sound is very constricted and in my head. It feels like you're scrunching your forehead while listening to music.

Any reason for using Aune T1 as DAC only? Is the amp section not that good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back