Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #28,846 of 46,565
I have to completely disagree, as I own K702 and play them daily. Using them right now, in fact, with an Oppo105 and a Feliks Elise. With the bass mod, they have the deepest, most well-defined bass next to all my other cans. The only thing I don't listen to is what's commonly called Classical by folks who know nothing about music. Love big bass. BTW, without the bass mod, they still reach deep, albeit without as much weight.

I use k702, 712 and k553 so I'm very familiar with the AKG sound as well.

However, you have disagreed with me based on a 'modded' headphone, so you obviously felt the need for more bass. That's where the K712 comes in. It does bass without introduced artifacts.

That's why I feel that the 702 is good with Baroque, Classical and chamber works, where you don't necessarily feel the need for a rumbling bass. Listening to say, Black Sabbath on the just doesn't work too well for me unless it's at low volume.

Frequency Response graphs also show a bass roll off which isn't as bad with the K712.

So for chamber, it's k702, romantic - modern and rock - k712. For real fun - th900. For smoothness and 'refined' type of sound, hd600 or hd650 depending on how much bass weight I'd like.

So, when describing a k702, I'm describing one that hasn't been modded.

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #28,847 of 46,565
Some people swear with the bass mod. With the bass mod k701 and k702 will have more bass. At the same time it will introduce low frequency distorsion that I really don't want to hear in any pair of headphones. The drivers and the enclosure are not made to match the resonances that the bass mod introduces. 

Do you own a pair of bass-modified K701/2? Doesn't seem like it. I do and have no idea what you're talking about or how you arrived at this claim.

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #28,848 of 46,565
Actually, I've heard one and then turned to the K712. You must have felt that stock k701/702s are lacking in bass then?

Anyway, this is an hd650 thread and I was naughty for bringing up the K712, but anyone considering hd650 should try the K712 if they can. It honestly resembles the Senn sound with a bit more stretch either side of the frequency response.

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #28,850 of 46,565
I use k702, 712 and k553 so I'm very familiar with the AKG sound as well.

However, you have disagreed with me based on a 'modded' headphone, so you obviously felt the need for more bass.

I actually didn't feel a need for it, but wanted to see what the mod did, aurally. Once the stickers were removed, the performance of the headphone improved rather dramatically. Not just in the bass. There was no reason to go back to the stock config.

That's where the K712 comes in. It does bass without introduced artifacts.

Again, I disagree, as its low-end response is hardly perfect. What audible artifacts are you talking about? Not sure how you can answer that (please see the last comment).

Frequency Response graphs also show a bass roll off which isn't as bad with the K712.

It's impossible to measure LF response of a headphone accurately with a dummy head. The results at the frequency extremes are typically discounted in their entirety by folks who understand the process.

As you do not own bass-modded K701/2 and all this is just hypothetical. Sorry, not interested in further discussion. Nothing personal.

Edit: text

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #28,852 of 46,565
No, I don't own a bass modded one. Only heard one.

Comparative frequency response graphs are very useful and give quite a good indication as to how a headphone sounds.

Disagree as much as you like. You haven't heard a k712 yet possibly? I'm interested what you say is wrong with the bass end of the k712. To me, it's more the top end actually.

Nothing personal but you strike me as pretty aggressive in your opinions and perhaps this should be on another thread.

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #28,853 of 46,565
Nothing personal but you strike me as pretty aggressive in your opinions and perhaps this should be on another thread.

Yes, this should be in another thread. Speaking for myself, I have no intention of addressing this further than we've come. And, please, no personal comments.

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #28,854 of 46,565
  Beyerdynamic has a new closed headphone out called the DT 1770, the successor of the 770. IIRC, the 770 was always a great closed alternative complimenting the sound of HD 650, and now the updated version has some truly worthy upgrades. The thread here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/776807/beyerdynamic-dt-1770-product-info-discussion-and-impressions/315#post_11903511

Basically everybody agrees that the HD 650's really come to life with tube amps. I have the Project Ember tube amp and am impressed with it, but there are two other tube amps which are said to come pretty darn close to the Zana Deux amp, at only 1/4th the price; of which blew me far, far away in amazement at home much it took the HD 650's to a whole other level. So if you're willing to spend twice the price of the Ember's tag of $300 and go all the way to the top, you can also consider one of these two:

Feliks Audio Elise

Glenn OTL amp

I will be sure to report in on this Glenn amp, the one you linked is mine  
biggrin.gif
once I actually get it in my hands and have had time to listen...   it should be very, very soon.......I have a huge collection of tubes to roll in it

Listening to Dire Straits - On Every Street right now for the first time since I got my Emotiva Steath and HD 650s. Dang I never knew this CD rip sounded this good.  Yee Haw

Every Dire Straits album sound wonderful.....so well recorded.

Rip them all  
smile.gif

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #28,855 of 46,565

Every Dire Straits album sound wonderful.....so well recorded.

Rip them all  
smile.gif

Think I've got all their studio albums, yep they're excellent for 1980s rock recordings.
Seen them once live in Chicago. I was so disappointed I want to strangle the mixer tech. He had the levels so low on Marks mike I couldn't hear a word he was singing and my seats were in a good location.  
mad.gif

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #28,856 of 46,565
I've been reading and hearing conflicting information in this thread as to what type of amp is more suited for the HD-650, tube amps vs solid state amps. Having the HD-650 myself amongst others and IEMs I also concur that the HD-650 has a warmer darker character and for that reason I seem to think that solid state amps would be more suitable... Any suggestions to a DAC+solid state up to 500 USD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the question really is more which sound appeals to your taste more, I'm sure there are both tube and SS amps that will sound excellent with the 650s.
I personally couldn't  recommend the Emotive Stealth DC-1 more highly. World class DAC + headphone amp + preamp capable, right in your price range at 
$499.00.  Take them up on the 30 free trial, bet you don't return it. 5 year warranty for your piece of mind.  Also includes pro balanced outputs if you have use for them, build like a tank, look at the size of the power supply. You couldn't get mine from me with a gun.
https://emotiva.com/products/dacs/electronics/dacs/stealth-dc-1
http://www.head-fi.org/products/emotiva-stealth-dc-1-balanced-24-192-fully-differential-dac

Sep 11, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #28,857 of 46,565
Looked at the Stealth DC1 and seriously considered but unfortunately their DAC doesn't decode DSD...

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Sep 11, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #28,858 of 46,565

Just picked up a Project Solstice which is like a mini-Ember. Gotta say it sounds pretty good so far. Compared to my O2 amp there's a lot more emphasis on the low end. Very smooth and not as hard sounding compared to the O2 and I think soundstage and separation are better too.

Did the higher cost of an Ember pit you off?

Listening to Dire Straits - On Every Street right now for the first time since I got my Emotiva Steath and HD 650s. Dang I never knew this CD rip sounded this good.  Yee Haw

+1. Mark Knopfler's album, Shangri-La also is great for the 650 experience.
I've been reading and hearing conflicting information in this thread as to what type of amp is more suited for the HD-650, tube amps vs solid state amps. Having the HD-650 myself amongst others and IEMs I also concur that the HD-650 has a warmer darker character and for that reason I seem to think that solid state amps would be more suitable... Any suggestions to a DAC+solid state up to 500 USD?

Honestly, I prefer a solid state amp like Polaris or BHA-1 with my 650. Gives it that extra sparkle and bass accuracy with my tracks. Tubes are great, so it's a battle for newbies to decide which to spring for. I like a quieter noise floor and more accuracy, so SS is my favorite for the 650.

Sep 11, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #28,859 of 46,565
I have Schiit gear (Magni, Modi, Magni 2U, Sys and Bifrost) all of which is SS however I have been drooling over a tube amp for a while now (still kind of gun shy though) and have considered the Valhalla 2 and Lyr 2 but the folks on the HD650 thread have been raving about the Project Ember for quite some time.  I have researched this hybrid tube amp (reading the Project Ember thread) and exchanged emails with Jeremy.  I am intrigued by what I have learned and might pull the trigger next year some time.

You might want to do some research on this amp as well.  It's competitively priced with the Valhalla 2.  Happy hunting.

I will definitely look into the ember as well then. Thanks a lot!

Sep 11, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #28,860 of 46,565
Honestly, I prefer a solid state amp like Polaris or BHA-1 with my 650. Gives it that extra sparkle and bass accuracy with my tracks. Tubes are great, so it's a battle for newbies to decide which to spring for. I like a quieter noise floor and more accuracy, so SS is my favorite for the 650.

That's exactly how I feel about the Polaris. Plus an experience I once had with one of the Little Dots doing a fireworks display in my front room. It kind of made me mistrust valves and reliability.

No problem at all though really with either my Ember or Polaris, so I ought to get over it. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back