Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 16, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #24,256 of 46,514
I think I may have gotten the best deal ever for a pair of sennheiser 650. I ordered a pair of 650's on amazon for $200 used. They said minor cosmetic damage.. Which for the price seemed worth the risk. I just got them today and every sign suggest they are a brand new. They even have that new headphone plastic smell and gloss. 

I ordered a like new pair from Amazon for 212 yesterday, I'll report back on their condition when they arrive. It might be next week as I went cheap and chose free shipping. Lol

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #24,258 of 46,514
Hey guys, I've spent about 4 hours listening to my LCD-3 Fazor's and I am convinced these are a satisfying upgrade from 650's. I've tried the HE-500's in the past and found I preferred the 650's, but at this point, if anyone is on the fence for a TOTL, I recommend them. I'll post more if anyone is interested once I get more listening time. I'm a huge lover of the 650's, and I think the LCD-3F's are keepers.

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #24,259 of 46,514
Great deals!

They are still available brand new for $279 here.

I would have purchased it new there but if I am not impressed with this headphone or I don't find it to be more comfortable and a step up from my fidelio X1 I will be returning it to Amazon and finally purchasing the HD800. I've been putting it off attempting to find a really comfortable headphone with great sound but have been unsuccessful. The x1 is very uncomfortable to me. Here's hoping I won't have to spend $1000.

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #24,262 of 46,514
Well, I'm officially in on the new Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon.  I'm really excited to pair it with my HD650, as I already have a balanced cable for them.  Unfortunately, it's a 4 month wait.  I always enjoyed the HD650 with the balanced Mjolnir.  I'm hoping for a similar experience.  I'll report back in August...

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #24,263 of 46,514
  Well, I'm officially in on the new Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon.  I'm really excited to pair it with my HD650, as I already have a balanced cable for them.  Unfortunately, it's a 4 month wait.  I always enjoyed the HD650 with the balanced Mjolnir.  I'm hoping for a similar experience.  I'll report back in August...

I'm waiting too. For both the LC and the Mojo. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #24,265 of 46,514
  Rick, you're gonna end up selling all that other schiit you got once you get the Mjolnir. 
wink_face.gif

But I have headphones that will not be balanced. I guess I'll just have to get the Rag. LOL

Apr 16, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #24,267 of 46,514
I would have purchased it new there but if I am not impressed with this headphone or I don't find it to be more comfortable and a step up from my fidelio X1 I will be returning it to Amazon and finally purchasing the HD800. I've been putting it off attempting to find a really comfortable headphone with great sound but have been unsuccessful. The x1 is very uncomfortable to me. Here's hoping I won't have to spend $1000.

The X1 is considered to be very comfortable. If that is not the case for you, I guess you have a rather large head. And if that is the case, then for sure you need to widen the headband of the HD650. It is actually very simple. Just extend the metal parts of the headbad to the fullest and bend only that part carefully with both hands, using your thumbs on the outside to do so. This mod is reversible easily. Just avoid to bend the plastic, it can break, or the paint can chip off. This procedure has been described many times in this thread already, so you might want to trust me.

Apr 16, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #24,268 of 46,514
The X1 is considered to be very comfortable. If that is not the case for you, I guess you have a rather large head. And if that is the case, then for sure you need to widen the headband of the HD650. It is actually very simple. Just extend the metal parts of the headbad to the fullest and bend only that part carefully with both hands, using your thumbs on the outside to do so. This mod is reversible easily. Just avoid to bend the plastic, it can break, or the paint can chip off. This procedure has been described many times in this thread already, so you might want to trust me.

The X1's go on correctly without my head touching the top of the metal headband but it gets real close (my head is a little bigger then most as I am a little over 6' tall). When they first go on they feel good but after a few minutes they feel heavy. The self adjusting headband seems so taut that when I move my head left and right the headphone moves upwards making noises that are distracting.  That movement continues upward on my head until the bottom of my earlobes are touching the pads, then it stops. I then need to pull them back down to the proper position. I just feel like the everything about the unit is uncomfortable, I do not like self adjusting headbands, or maybe I just don't like this self adjusting headband as I haven't owned any other headphones that have it. I've only had it 2 months and am probably going to sell it for just under what I paid for it unless someone could make a suggestion. 

Apr 16, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #24,270 of 46,514
A lot of us will be waiting on the LC. What's a good cheap balanced cable to pair with the 650's?

I got ZY Hi Fi cables on Amazon.  $77.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back