Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #21,436 of 46,518
The K701 is absolutely the worst sounding serious headphone I've ever heard. Also the white was ugly and they were very uncomfortable.

Well I agree in part but for perspective they do cost substantially less than the HD650 and often can be found at bargain bin pricing via retailers like Massdrop. I didn't like the Q701 I had even at the Massdrop price, but I did think the construction was of a decent quality and for the money performance wasn't to bad . If I hadn't had experience of some other phones like the HD650, ATH W1000X and Beyer T1's prior they might well have been keepers.

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #21,437 of 46,518

Wow... Amaze-balls.

biggrin.gif

HS

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #21,438 of 46,518
I've never understood the negative reviews of these headphones. I thought build quality, comfort and style were all good. Sound was exactly as I was expecting, very detailed with an open and airy soundstage. Bass present and well defined/controlled on bass heavy songs but not on others. As a result a bit too clinical for me who prefers a more fun and dynamic sound but that's my preference. I would never describe them as bad in any way.

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #21,439 of 46,518
Well I agree in part but for perspective they do cost substantially less than the HD650 and often can be found at bargain bin pricing via retailers like Massdrop. I didn't like the Q701 I had even at the Massdrop price, but I did think the construction was of a decent quality and for the money performance wasn't to bad . If I hadn't had experience of some other phones like the HD650, ATH W1000X and Beyer T1's prior they might well have been keepers.

True, but at the time they came out they were being touted by quite a few influential people as the best yet. It was baffling to me then and now.

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #21,440 of 46,518
And they still are incredibly popular.

It just goes to show that it never ends, decisively, at the *headphone*.  

You can line up 10 of the world's best super cars with 10 of the world's best drivers and swap back and forth until everyone has had a chance to drive every car.  The cream tends to float to the top because the car IS the end of the experience.  Not so with headphones, where each listener may prefer a different genre of music, listening volume, dac, source, amplifier, "feel" on their head, and how the sound that emits is translated in their brains by their ears, the last of which is likely to be unique for every listener.

That's why me, a self proclaimed AKG fanboy, am looking in Senn (and Beyer) threads for a counterpart.  I don't want two cans that sound very much alike but rather two that will complement each other in different listening scenarios.  Maybe if one ends up getting used for more than the other I'll sell one, but for now I want two :)

Dec 27, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #21,441 of 46,518
Of course the manufacturers should constantly be trying to learn new ways to make improvements. I'm talking about users making non-reversable modifications that destroy their own phones.

Ruining them is your conclusion.  There are tons of threads here about modifying equipment and one could label it all as ruining if it's not reversible.  I think of it as owners exploring for a better or preferred sound.  Is there risk?  Maybe, but that's the owner's choice.  Further, the results are interesting for many vs just hearing from the same guy or crowd that they've found their end all be all rig and basically arguing at all costs that nothing can be better.  Yawn.

HS

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #21,442 of 46,518
Hi! My Sennheiser HD 650s are supposed to be shipped today and I cant wait as I have never heard them before! However, from what I've read, these headphones don't truly shine until hooked up to an Amp/DAC. This is a problem because I will be for the most part listening from my iPhone 6 and MacBook Pro. Being a novice, I have no idea what equipment I should buy to pair with these headphones. From your guys perspective, what equipment do you think would give me the best bang for my buck under $200? Thanks

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #21,444 of 46,518
Hi! My Sennheiser HD 650s are supposed to be shipped today and I cant wait as I have never heard them before! However, from what I've read, these headphones don't truly shine until hooked up to an Amp/DAC. This is a problem because I will be for the most part listening from my iPhone 6 and MacBook Pro. Being a novice, I have no idea what equipment I should buy to pair with these headphones. From your guys perspective, what equipment do you think would give me the best bang for my buck under $200? Thanks

You can look at some FiiO products. I remember listening to my departed 650 from an old iPod Video and an E12 amp and I was quite impressed. It would be an affordable option that would hold you over until you were able/willing to perhaps go dedicated desktop components (assuming that is what you would eventually like). Within reason the better the gear the more you will get from any headphone that is adequately designed. Of course there are diminishing returns so a $5000 amp/dac will not sound 5 times better than a $1000 amp/dac, but certainly the 650s will sound better driven with more robust gear, especially if you like longer and louder listening sessions. The power supply is but one aspect of an amplifier for instance, but an important aspect so as you get into better gear you will typically find more robust and stable power supplies used. Again, I am not meaning to over-simplify the discussion or suggesting that without spending hundreds of dollars things will sound bad, but within reason it is possible to better drive the 650s.

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #21,445 of 46,518

Happy christmas to all of you people with beautiful taste!!!

How do you like the Xonar? I have a Xonar Xense and just got the 650s. They sound absolutely lifeless, detailed, but really lacking in the lower midrange. Aside from volume they sounded better on my iPhone.

I went so far as to plug into my onboard sound card and that was better. My onboard is a Creative X-Fi 20K2 amped to drive 150 ohm loads,so the volume is more than enough 90% of the time. I am hoping to get a dedicated USB DAC/AMP, no idea where to start.

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #21,446 of 46,518
Ruining them is your conclusion.  There are tons of threads here about modifying equipment and one could label it all as ruining if it's not reversible.  I think of it as owners exploring for a better or preferred sound.  Is there risk?  Maybe, but that's the owner's choice.  Further, the results are interesting for many vs just hearing from the same guy or crowd that they've found their end all be all rig and basically arguing at all costs that nothing can be better.  Yawn.

HS
I personally applaud anyone who modifies their gear. We as headfiers are always searching for better gear/ equipment looking for the ultimate sound.

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #21,447 of 46,518
I personally applaud anyone who modifies their gear. We as headfiers are always searching for better gear/ equipment looking for the ultimate sound.

So do I, just don't expect the resale value to be there.

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #21,448 of 46,518
I was just accepted to my first choice university around two weeks ago so I don't see myself going to a desktop anytime soon. Also this means that this amp/DAC will likely not be upgraded/replaced in the next 5 years unless it breaks. The Fioo portable amp/DAC seems like a good option for the money but they only are reccomended for headphones 16-160 ohms.

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #21,449 of 46,518
I was just accepted to my first choice university around two weeks ago so I don't see myself going to a desktop anytime soon. Also this means that this amp/DAC will likely not be upgraded/replaced in the next 5 years unless it breaks. The Fioo portable amp/DAC seems like a good option for the money but they only are reccomended for headphones 16-160 ohms.

The 650 isn't that difficult to drive, but it depends on how loud you like your playback volume. If you don't need it extremely loud the E18 I believe would work well, but integrated amp/dacs aren't my bag so perhaps somebody here can chime in. What university and program are you in? Not another engineer I hope!! Just joking, I'm a social science major and it often seems nobody values the social sciences and everybody is an engineering student.

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #21,450 of 46,518
The 650 isn't that difficult to drive, but it depends on how loud you like your playback volume. If you don't need it extremely loud the E18 I believe would work well, but integrated amp/dacs aren't my bag so perhaps somebody here can chime in. What university and program are you in? Not another engineer I hope!! Just joking, I'm a social science major and it often seems nobody values the social sciences and everybody is an engineering student.

I was accepted to Cornell University for a major in economics and hopefully a business minor. I can't wait! But this also means that I don't have the luxury of space for gear or the means to buy expensive gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back