Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 20, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #21,286 of 46,564
LOL at the anxiety over a change in packaging.

Even after a number of years, the "stealth update" that introduced the silver screen and its affect on the sound is still being debated. The notion of a veil being lifted is contentious. There are many factors. The HD650 had a unique signature when launched and it may have jarred those used to more etch in their headphone listening experience. I suspect the wear on the actual pads when compared to newer units to have more of a bearing on any perceived differences.

Components have also evolved considerably since the HD650 and its contemporaries ruled the roost. It may have required top tier gear to get the most out of it then, but great bang for buck components have since emerged that maximise the HD650's potential without great expense. The HD650's scaling ability is one that is now overstated imo. Again, you can reach its ceiling via "entry level" gear, like the more affordable Schiit gear for example.

I doubt Sennheiser would be implementing changes to this line at this stage - unless it were a cost cutting measure. Maybe. Either way, the HD650 is established. Any changes and corresponding affect on sound would be marginal, if even noticeable.

Just put 'em on. Hit play. Enjoy.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #21,287 of 46,564
OCD is taking on new meaning.  Some folks need to get out more often...

biggrin.gif

HS

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #21,288 of 46,564
LOL at the anxiety over a change in packaging.

Even after a number of years, the "stealth update" that introduced the silver screen and its affect on the sound is still being debated. The notion of a veil being lifted is contentious. There are many factors. The HD650 had a unique signature when launched and it may have jarred those used to more etch in their headphone listening experience. I suspect the wear on the actual pads when compared to newer units to have more of a bearing on any perceived differences.

Components have also evolved considerably since the HD650 and its contemporaries ruled the roost. It may have required top tier gear to get the most out of it then, but great bang for buck components have since emerged that maximise the HD650's potential without great expense. The HD650's scaling ability is one that is now overstated imo. Again, you can reach its ceiling via "entry level" gear, like the more affordable Schiit gear for example.

I doubt Sennheiser would be implementing changes to this line at this stage - unless it were a cost cutting measure. Maybe. Either way, the HD650 is established. Any changes and corresponding affect on sound would be marginal, if even noticeable.

Just put 'em on. Hit play. Enjoy.

I'm actually really enjoying these headphones, I stopped caring about the packaging already. But as for the dampening material change you mentioned, so far I've only seen evidence that a change did take place. I've read posts of people who didn't know about the update, tried them at an audio store (the older version most likely) and said that they sounded way different when they tried them at home. With the ones at the audio store sounding more bass heavy and muddier. Just what I've heard.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #21,289 of 46,564
My only complaint with the 650s is that the headband's increments get bigger as you adjust it up. After the 6th click the increments get exponentially bigger, I bring it up to 10 clicks. This is annoying because at 10 clicks it rests slightly too high on my head, but at 11 clicks it's too low.

You sir have a huge ******* noggin

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #21,290 of 46,564
You sir have a huge ******* noggin

No it's my hair, very short sides but high on top. My head is a good size to my height of 6'0. I think my noggin is a bit big though, maybe that's why I graduated high school at age 16 with 4.0 GPA :p

Now that I'm all riled up I'd also like to take them time to encourage everyone to lift, it's my passion.

Update: Sorry about that.

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #21,291 of 46,564
So you have "high" hair and you set the headphone above your high hair? Did we all fall down a rabbit hole somewhere along the way?

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #21,292 of 46,564
No it's my hair, very short sides but high on top. My head is a good size to my height of 6'0. I think my noggin is a bit big though, maybe that's why I graduated high school at age 16 with 4.0 GPA
tongue.gif

Now that I'm all riled up I'd also like to take them time to encourage everyone to lift, it's my passion.

Update: Sorry about that.

Ok, I got you man, that makes sense. So something like this?

No, but seriously. That's good your doing well in school. Credentials make life much easier later on, not that I'm old and wise at 30 but I've been working long enough to appreciate it.

I can also empathize with the workout thing. Not enough people do it. Here's a quick shot of how I like to do my curls.

When chicks see me pump out 5 reps with these heavy hitters strapped to my arm I can't keep them off me.

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #21,293 of 46,564
I hope you've remembered cables Teddy...

http://www.coconut-audio.com/index.html

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #21,296 of 46,564
Not bad, I know this isn't a bodybuilding forum, but it's alsways nice to see other like minded people.

I prefer to hear about like minded people, not necessarily see them. A picture of a guy flexing his muscles is a little jarring to my eyes on a headphone discussion thread. For what it is worth I also have been lifting weights for a number of years (I promise not to post any pictures!!) I will admit I'm a little full of it as I'm sure if somebody posted a picture of a beautiful woman lifting weights I wouldn't mind.

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #21,297 of 46,564
Hello, i was wondenering if the HD650 is an upgrade to the AKG Q701. i have had my Q701 for a few months and like them but before that i came from Sennheiser HD595s and i loved the sound and feel of them and felt they were really detailed sound stage. im probably a pretty big noob about headphones and amps i just ordered a Fiio e11k to help push my Q701. Im just curious whats people opinions on upgrading to the HD650s. i mainly just use them for gaming a little for music. thanks

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #21,298 of 46,564

I prefer to hear about like minded people, not necessarily see them. A picture of a guy flexing his muscles is a little jarring to my eyes on a headphone discussion thread. For what it is worth I also have been lifting weights for a number of years (I promise not to post any pictures!!) I will admit I'm a little full of it as I'm sure if somebody posted a picture of a beautiful woman lifting weights I wouldn't mind.

I agree on the beautiful women thing. Got give props to him though for making those 650 look like dumbbells!! Got a good laugh there.

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #21,300 of 46,564

I agree on the beautiful women thing. Got give props to him though for making those 650 look like dumbbells!! Got a good laugh there.

+1, total props for that no doubt, cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back