Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #20,776 of 46,506
I can safely say my HD-650 clamp is far less hard on my head that the one I had at stock. The pads softening also helped.

I still had an easier time with the HD-800 though, less clamp and MUCH bigger earpads. That's probably what I'd first change about the HD-650, they always felt a bit too small and not deep enough for me.

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #20,777 of 46,506
I know I was told to wait 2 more weeks before complaining again, but I'm not sure a burn in is gonna help me out. The more I run my favorites through these headphones, the worse I feel about the money I spent. They definitely can't go as loud on the harder rock albums I enjoy and the closed-in sound doesn't mesh well with some of my favorite bootlegs. They are also distorting at lower volumes than my ATs, so I'm scared to push them any farther. I do notice a real improvement on your typical "audiophile" recordings, but I didn't really spend $400 to enjoy albums I wouldn't listen to normally :frowning2: 

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #20,778 of 46,506
  I know I was told to wait 2 more weeks before complaining again, but I'm not sure a burn in is gonna help me out. The more I run my favorites through these headphones, the worse I feel about the money I spent. They definitely can't go as loud on the harder rock albums I enjoy and the closed-in sound doesn't mesh well with some of my favorite bootlegs. They are also distorting at lower volumes than my ATs, so I'm scared to push them any farther. I do notice a real improvement on your typical "audiophile" recordings, but I didn't really spend $400 to enjoy albums I wouldn't listen to normally :frowning2: 

Really sorry to hear that.  I agree that if they are that far off from your tastes that break-in won't get you there.  It's hard to imagine them sounding closed in or distorted at low volumes as they have about as little distortion as any headphones.  Not going loud enough definitely seems like an amp issue as mine can certainly go loud enough to permanently damage my hearing.  Maybe for the kind of music you enjoy and slam you're looking for, a closed phone is the only way to go.

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #20,779 of 46,506

What are you driving them with? I must've missed the first time you mentioned them.

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #20,780 of 46,506

What are you driving them with? I must've missed the first time you mentioned them.

Driving them with the Schiit Modi/Magni stack. They get ear-piercingly loud (@40% volume knob), but not without some serious distortion. Even the opening drums for Alice in Chains "No Excuses" unplugged are distorting (and I'm sad because it's always been the album I thought sounded the best on most of my other equipment).

I have no idea where to begin as far as looking for the right headphone upgrade. I fell in love with the Audio Techinca ATH-M50 once I EQ'd the top end out of them, but they are absolutely painful to wear and are extremely "in your face" with the presentation. I ended up with the AD900X/A900X set from there (also having to lower the top end with EQ), but always wished for the AD900X soundstage with the M50s lively bass/tom drum reproduction. The A900X was a step in the right direction, but I don't know how to move up from there. I like how clear the bass is presented on the HD650, but I hate having to keep the volume so much lower to avoid the distortion. The pain after wearing the 650 for 20 minutes also reminds me of the ATH-M50. Maybe I have John Tesh head.

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #20,781 of 46,506
This is my first post and Hello! 

...I hope the clamping force wears down soon. Everything else with the HD650s is amazing. Glad I jumped on these headphone!

Welcome and congrats. Please see a post I made on this thread earlier regarding fixing the clamp force. It can be fixed and done safely. It would take ages for it to relax naturally. Since adjusting my hd650s they are infinitely easier to listen too.

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #20,782 of 46,506
Driving them with the Schiit Modi/Magni stack. They get ear-piercingly loud (@40% volume knob), but not without some serious distortion. Even the opening drums for Alice in Chains "No Excuses" unplugged are distorting (and I'm sad because it's always been the album I thought sounded the best on most of my other equipment).

I have no idea where to begin as far as looking for the right headphone upgrade. I fell in love with the Audio Techinca ATH-M50 once I EQ'd the top end out of them, but they are absolutely painful to wear and are extremely "in your face" with the presentation. I ended up with the AD900X/A900X set from there (also having to lower the top end with EQ), but always wished for the AD900X soundstage with the M50s lively bass/tom drum reproduction. The A900X was a step in the right direction, but I don't know how to move up from there. I like how clear the bass is presented on the HD650, but I hate having to keep the volume so much lower to avoid the distortion. The pain after wearing the 650 for 20 minutes also reminds me of the ATH-M50. Maybe I have John Tesh head.

Maybe there's something wrong with them. The distortion you describe is a mystery to me.

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #20,783 of 46,506
Amazon hd 650's on sale for $399 600  for$ 388  http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-650-Headphones/dp/B00018MSNI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417817292&sr=1-1&keywords=hd+650+headphones Not many left

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #20,784 of 46,506
  The Woo WA3 arrived today. I asked my employer if I could go home early to get it out of the cold (FedEx notified me that they left it at the front door). I have a great boss ... 
L3000.gif

Listening to my new SACD of Holly Cole's "Don't Smoke in Bed" via my SACD Rube Goldberg playback chain and the new amp, along with a glass of Crown Royal Black. I really am in heaven, right now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really nice rig mate, totally love it. Got to get me some Woo someday soon. If you want a nice dark 100% Rye Canadian whiskey try Alberta Premium Dark Horse. I also like the Crown Black, but it has corn as the main grain. Cheers.

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #20,785 of 46,506
Dec 5, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #20,786 of 46,506
  Well okay, since he said he meant iTunes that means he's doing it legally. But still, to others, piracy is bad mmmkayy...

Can't get Flac from iTunes, something is funny here
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #20,787 of 46,506

I've read that... My plan is to enjoy the stock tubes for a while and then, when I win the lottery, buy the upgrade tube set from Woo and go from there.

I can't believe how much I've been spending on Head-Fi and my 2-channel system and I've got to cool it for a while... my daughter needs braces for her teeth 
frown.gif

Damn those kids, always something. Don't they know we need more gear? So funny, I did the same thing the last year bumping up y two channel rig and headphone rig (at the expense of my 9 yer old daughter's desire to have a pony ... as if).

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #20,788 of 46,506

DT 880 my friend. Won't have killer bass slam, but they do so much right. I kept my 880s over the 650, but I did like the 650s as I don't listen to classic rock much anymore. Grew up on that stuff and I get bored of the same old so despite being in my 40s I am far more inclined to put on Thievery Corporation or Deadmau5 than ZZ Top, but regardless, the 880s are great with rock and other genres and it sounds like you miss the edges and some sparkle that the 650s don't provide that well compared with the 880s. And the 880s are stupidly comfortable to boot.

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #20,789 of 46,506

Something is wrong with your amp/dac then.  I use that exact album as my reference recording to measure all headphones, amps, and dacs.  It sounds exquisite out of the HD650.  It sounds like a live performance in my living room.

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #20,790 of 46,506
I've been a long time fan of audiophile gear but have never made the jump to... the deeper end of the pool. Lots of experience with IEMs from $10-500 and low-end cans (SRH-840, M50x, etc...) that did not require dac/amps. Really didn't want to ever get sucked into the world where dac/amp were required but my interest finally got the best of me.

$315 HD650's from black friday
$245 schiit m&m plus cable 

$560 in the end which is not bad at all. I was heavily debating going all in and going either schiit modi/ valhalla 2 or just straight into bitfrost/valhalla 2 but I think I'll take this in little steps so I can appreciate upgrades. Plus Valhalla 2 OOS was a big factor, but I think I'll be happy enough going from my daily M50x -> HD650 m&m. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back