Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 27, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #20,566 of 46,565
I listened to LCD-2's for two years straight and IMO the 650 with the right amp is more enjoyable across the board. The 650 soundstage is bigger and image outlines are much better defined.

Good to know, thanks~

I'm wondering if moving to a balanced setup would add space, and maybe even a pinch more clarity and bass impact. The Augio-GD NFB-28 seems to be one of the more reasonably priced balanced amps that's also a Sabre DAC.

It's honestly tough for me to know where increased treble clarity ends and soundstage begins, though.

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #20,567 of 46,565
I listened to LCD-2's for two years straight and IMO the 650 with the right amp is more enjoyable across the board. The 650 soundstage is bigger and image outlines are much better defined.

Which LCD-2 was it?  I found the rev 2 to be a very pleasant listen with enjoyable soundstage and superior treble response, while keeping a very dark signature...

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #20,568 of 46,565
I also was using EQ with all my headphones. But recently I decided to try Out of my head program and I don't need EQ anymore cause I prefer to use a preset with which recording sounds best for me . Right now I own 4 presets and planning to get one more soon cause one of my favorite album sounds best with it

Careful with that, you might get your brain acclimated to a highly processed sound and if you try to listen to unprocessed you may find things never sound right. I tried one of those programs (forget the name now), it was quite good and engaging, but I pulled the plug on it as I was afraid of getting used to that type of thing. Ultimately, as long as you like what you hear, it doesn't really matter does it?

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #20,570 of 46,565
I also was using EQ with all my headphones. But recently I decided to try Out of my head program and I don't need EQ anymore cause I prefer to use a preset with which recording sounds best for me . Right now I own 4 presets and planning to get one more soon cause one of my favorite album sounds best with it

Careful with that, you might get your brain acclimated to a highly processed sound and if you try to listen to unprocessed you may find things never sound right. I tried one of those programs (forget the name now), it was quite good and engaging, but I pulled the plug on it as I was afraid of getting used to that type of thing. Ultimately, as long as you like what you hear, it doesn't really matter does it?

Without that program I never was able to enjoy music without using EQ

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #20,571 of 46,565
  Are there any phones with comparable sound signatures to the 650s, but have a larger soundstage?

Audition the ZMF Blackwoods if you get a chance.  I can't see an HD650 lover not enjoying this closed headphone....

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #20,572 of 46,565
Audition the ZMF Blackwoods if you get a chance.  I can't see an HD650 lover not enjoying this closed headphone....

I came back to Head-Fi world just a week after the NYC Metro Area meet happened it turns out, and of course ZMF was there. That was my chance..

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #20,573 of 46,565

What's your favorite preset?

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #20,575 of 46,565
Good to know, thanks~

I'm wondering if moving to a balanced setup would add space, and maybe even a pinch more clarity and bass impact. The Augio-GD NFB-28 seems to be one of the more reasonably priced balanced amps that's also a Sabre DAC.

It's honestly tough for me to know where increased treble clarity ends and soundstage begins, though.

Uh, of course I could always double-check that I don't have any EQ adjustments enabled, doh! Forgot that I had tried to compare my DT770s by bringing down the treble, and I forgot to reset it 
blink.gif

60% of the time, it works every time...

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #20,576 of 46,565
If anyone has any worries about the HD650's soundstage, imaging, or highs, then load up the latest remaster of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, close your eyes, and listen.  It is a surreal experience.  It was an out of head experience. 

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #20,577 of 46,565
  If anyone has any worries about the HD650's soundstage, imaging, or highs, then load up the latest remaster of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, close your eyes, and listen.  It is a surreal experience.  It was an out of head experience. 

I was just getting to know the 650s soundstage with the Wandering EP by Yosi Horikawa. I'll revisit DSotM as well.

Nov 27, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #20,578 of 46,565
  Here's an odd thing. I almost always listen to my 650's using EQ of some description. It's not because I perceive a weakness that I'm trying to compensate for as such, just that I have tended to prefer them (and all my other headphones too, for that matter) this way. Well, all morning, for the first time in years, I've been listening to classical music. At the moment it's a Mendelssohn violin concerto and I just can live with EQ of any description. They sound much better flat, with no EQ at all. Imaging is vastly superior in my opinion and the tonality of violins in particular is wonderful. It's not like my normal listening tastes are for the overly processed music currently sitting in the charts either. I tend to listen to more folky stuff like Bonnie 'Prince' Billy and the like. When I push the boat out it's usually for older Mike Oldfield, Yello & Royksöpp. Who knows what 'natural' is to those artists.

I've also been of the opinion that my Forza Audioworks cable added little to the experience. Not now. The aftermarket cable is far superior in resolution and, dare I say it, timing.

I'm guessing that these days ALL music is processed to such a degree that any sense of reality is extinguished from the final mix and so EQ is perfectly acceptable because the engineer has already decided there's no 'right' way to hear the sound. I don't know. This has been an eye-opener for me. Further scrutiny is required. Can't wait.

Am I alone in thinking this way?

I need to qualify this. Whilst it's true that the Forza / no EQ works very well with well recorded classical music the combination just doesn't work with more mainstream music. Almost everything I've listened to since the above statement benefits from the replacement of the stock cable. I prefer the darker tone it lends to the likes of Lorde, Lana Del Rey & even Emmylou Harris. I think the stock cable might be of very high quality, despite it's looks. Who knew?

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #20,579 of 46,565
Another example of why I think that the HD650 is truly in a league of their own :

Presently listening to Elton John's  "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"  (30th ann. Deluxe Ed. SACD

HPs : HD650, HP amp. : Headamp GS-1, Source : Teac CD-2000 CD/SACD 

The experience is mind boggling, the sound is richer, fuller, the tonality is clear & musical, piano sound displays every single key played, guitar strings/chords sound resonate with a clean crisp almost bell like sound (on the song of the same title as the album).  The soundstage is wide & very deep with each instrument heard without any muffled or grainy overlapping sounds.  When this HP is properly amped with an equally proper source the results are astounding.  

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #20,580 of 46,565
  Another example of why I think that the HD650 is truly in a league of their own :

Presently listening to Elton John's  "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"  (30th ann. Deluxe Ed. SACD

HPs : HD650, HP amp. : Headamp GS-1, Source : Teac CD-2000 CD/SACD 

The experience is mind boggling, the sound is richer, fuller, the tonality is clear & musical, piano sound displays every single key played, guitar strings/chords sound resonate with a clean crisp almost bell like sound (on the song of the same title as the album).  The soundstage is wide & very deep with each instrument heard without any muffled or grainy overlapping sounds.  When this HP is properly amped with an equally proper source the results are astounding.  

Do you still have the Trafomatic?  How does it compare to the GS-1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back