Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #20,236 of 46,514
After using my HD650s exclusively for months, I decided to give my previously very loved HD600s a shot at today's listening session.  Even though the HD600s excel at neutrality, clarity, and airiness, the HD650s just sound better to me. They have more meat on the bones, they do treble and bass so well, and they just sound more real and natural. 

Back in the box the HD600s went. Maybe I'll see them again in 6 months.

Nov 8, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #20,237 of 46,514
  After using my HD650s exclusively for months, I decided to give my previously very loved HD600s a shot at today's listening session.  Even though the HD600s excel at neutrality, clarity, and airiness, the HD650s just sound better to me. They have more meat on the bones, they do treble and bass so well, and they just sound more real and natural. 

Back in the box the HD600s went. Maybe I'll see them again in 6 months.

Sell them 
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #20,239 of 46,514

I don't feel my HD650s are any amount brighter due to the silver plated copper.  I'm of the opinion that the bass gained a bit of accuracy (just a bit), and the treble might extend a small amount.  But the very important mids (oh so important on these phones), haven't changed a bit.

I wouldn't want to screw with the HD650 mids ever, I think that's where the appeal of these headphones live.  Female vocal lovers unite!!!!!

Yeah I may just go with the silver, Drew from Moon Audio also recommends the silver for HD650.

I'm also contemplating selling my TH900s I feel they don't suit my style of music anymore, the only music they beat the HD650s is EDM & Metal, which I could live without somewhat, the TH900 bass slam I will miss, but the recessed mids and narrower soundstage I will not, compared to the HD650s.

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #20,240 of 46,514
I'm interested in purchasing them, I thought here would be the best place to ask these questions.

I currently own the ATH-AD1000X's and they have been killing my ears recently, when I first bought them I had the same problem, but after a month of wearing them I sorta just adjusted to them, but after they broke (cable needed to be re-soldered) I stopped using them, I fixed them now and I just cannot handle them anymore. If anyone has owned a pair of these, it will help alot with my questions.

Firstly, the comfort of these is what I'm interested in, I'll be wearing these for hours a day and want them to not destroy my ears, the ATH-AD1000X's were just not suited for my ears, I guess the circle shape is the problem, and also the depth between the pad and the metal covering the driver. These look more natural in design for the ear shape.

I will be using these mostly for movies, I'm looking at getting a Xonar DX/DSX to get the dolby out of it, but in terms of realism, do they sound real when watching a movie? Do you feel the bass when like shots and stuff like that are fired?

Secondly music, I listen to Vocal Jazz, Pop, R&B and every now and then some Dance/House, and also todays general music, I see always people talking about how laid back these are, I'm not sure what they exactly mean laid back? I mean, right now I'm listening to music and movies through a pair of Apple Earpods and everything sounds pretty good, so will the laid back feel really affect me if I think Earpods are good? If anyone here listens to Drake or Miguel how does it sound? How will American Pie or Time in a bottle sound with these?

Final question is gaming, I play alot of Counter-Strike: GO and was wondering if these headphones have a good sounding soundstage? If I play some Battlefield 4 how will that sound? 

The ATH-AD1000X's sounded boring for me, they did sound good at times but they sounded just too flat, when I hear people saying the HD650's sound laid back I think to myself Adele will sound like a man and Eminem will sound like he's got a deep voice. Also I imagine laid back being a car audio system with only a sub. That is exactly how I picture laid back, just a subwoofer.

I hope someone here will have the answers to my questions. I'm currently so tempted to buy them, I will like order them right now if they are better than Earpods or the ATH-AD1000X's hehe :) If I manage to sell my ATH-AD1000X's I'm looking at getting the NFB-15 or Objective 2, something @PurpleAngel suggested. 

Anyways thanks for those who reply.

Nov 9, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #20,241 of 46,514
Nov 9, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #20,242 of 46,514
God damn its been like three years since I last came here! I still got these HD650s some kind soul sent me for free a while back but they've been gathering dust since the cable crapped out. gotta get new ones. Anyway, I've started producing some music lately and I was looking for some suggestions on a fairly affordable amp/dac (like 250ish maybe, less is best) combo for my laptop that can drive these beasts without adding too much colour. I guess that rules out tubes, and I'd prefer not to have to buy new tubes all the time, but if it stands on its own merits i would be ok with it. I have to go to college in a year so it shouldnt be to cumbersome. I haven't really kept up with the industry and now it seems like there's so much to choose from! If someone could give me a direction that'd be awesome. 

Peace
kuku

Nov 9, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #20,243 of 46,514
  God damn its been like three years since I last came here! I still got these HD650s some kind soul sent me for free a while back but they've been gathering dust since the cable crapped out. gotta get new ones. Anyway, I've started producing some music lately and I was looking for some suggestions on a fairly affordable amp/dac (like 250ish maybe, less is best) combo for my laptop that can drive these beasts without adding too much colour. I guess that rules out tubes, and I'd prefer not to have to buy new tubes all the time, but if it stands on its own merits i would be ok with it. I have to go to college in a year so it shouldnt be to cumbersome. I haven't really kept up with the industry and now it seems like there's so much to choose from! If someone could give me a direction that'd be awesome. 

Peace
kuku

Mini Schiit stack. Magni + Modi = $200.

Nov 9, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #20,246 of 46,514
  Are there any good deals out for the HD 650s? I want one but don't want to pay over $500 for them...

Not right now, but some time in the end of September they were going for as low as $370 on Amazon...
Currently it's ~$450. You can wait or buy used.

Nov 9, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #20,248 of 46,514
  I'm interested in purchasing them, I thought here would be the best place to ask these questions.

I currently own the ATH-AD1000X's and they have been killing my ears recently, when I first bought them I had the same problem, but after a month of wearing them I sorta just adjusted to them, but after they broke (cable needed to be re-soldered) I stopped using them, I fixed them now and I just cannot handle them anymore. If anyone has owned a pair of these, it will help alot with my questions.

Firstly, the comfort of these is what I'm interested in, I'll be wearing these for hours a day and want them to not destroy my ears, the ATH-AD1000X's were just not suited for my ears, I guess the circle shape is the problem, and also the depth between the pad and the metal covering the driver. These look more natural in design for the ear shape.

I will be using these mostly for movies, I'm looking at getting a Xonar DX/DSX to get the dolby out of it, but in terms of realism, do they sound real when watching a movie? Do you feel the bass when like shots and stuff like that are fired?

Secondly music, I listen to Vocal Jazz, Pop, R&B and every now and then some Dance/House, and also todays general music, I see always people talking about how laid back these are, I'm not sure what they exactly mean laid back? I mean, right now I'm listening to music and movies through a pair of Apple Earpods and everything sounds pretty good, so will the laid back feel really affect me if I think Earpods are good? If anyone here listens to Drake or Miguel how does it sound? How will American Pie or Time in a bottle sound with these?

Final question is gaming, I play alot of Counter-Strike: GO and was wondering if these headphones have a good sounding soundstage? If I play some Battlefield 4 how will that sound? 

The ATH-AD1000X's sounded boring for me, they did sound good at times but they sounded just too flat, when I hear people saying the HD650's sound laid back I think to myself Adele will sound like a man and Eminem will sound like he's got a deep voice. Also I imagine laid back being a car audio system with only a sub. That is exactly how I picture laid back, just a subwoofer.

I hope someone here will have the answers to my questions. I'm currently so tempted to buy them, I will like order them right now if they are better than Earpods or the ATH-AD1000X's hehe :) If I manage to sell my ATH-AD1000X's I'm looking at getting the NFB-15 or Objective 2, something @PurpleAngel suggested. 

Anyways thanks for those who reply.

I will try to answer what I can.

1. I've not owned the AD1000X, however, I have owned the AD700X, as well as the AT wood cups. Comparing those AT cans, there wasn't a drastic difference in the depth between the drivers and the earpads covering them. However with the HD650 that depth is shallower. Your ears will touch the foam covering the drivers, and you will feel it more than the thinner fabric material with covers the AT drivers.

I suspect it is more likely your fit issues are to do with the AT 3d-wing design. Personally I find it very comfortable, more so than the HD650,  but there are users who do not like the AT's fit or seal.

2. With regards to gaming, I used to play quite a bit of BF4. I would say that HD650 handled it fine, if unremarkably. The HD650 is not known for soundstage. In fact I find its sound pretty forward and intimate even compared to my AT cans. So for FPS games where positional accuracy may be wanted, I always feel better can be had. However, I tended to stay away from surround sound software, even when I had a Xonar essence soundcard. So your experience using the software with these headphones may be different.

I can't compare how detailed they are to AD1000X without having owned them. Best check out this thread which you may already be aware of.

3. I can confirm Adele will not 'sound like a man' with the HD650s. Instruments/vocals sound pretty natural, and even. Subwoofer is definitely not what I think of when listening to the HD650. A lot is made on how coloured the HD650 is, and imo I find it is an exaggerated view. Similar to the description of the headphones being 'slow' and unsuitable for 'fast' music. Perhaps it's a semantic issue, but I have no idea what that means - arpeggios in Beethoven piano sonatas sound fine on the headphones.

However, I would say compared to my other cans the HD650 is darker sounding. The AT headphones I've had definitely have had more extended treble making them more exciting with details coming to the forth much more, but also more fatiguing. It's been a while since I used the AD700X, which were warmer than the AT's I have at the moment. I guess this is why the HD650s are called 'laid back'... Detail is there, but not as upfront.

So what I'm saying is that if you found the AD1000X 'boring', the HD650 may not be what you are looking for.

---

Personally, I really enjoy the HD650 as it gives a nice contrast to my other headphones. I use it an equal amount to my others. It's relaxing, and does every genre of music well. Coming from the wood cup ATs there is much less exaggeration in the sound signature which can be an instant relief to the ears. Relaxing and lovely tone. The flip-side is that going back to hyper detailed ATH-W----- amazing mids, and their highs which seem to extend forever is like breathing in fresh air. So there it is, no headphone is perfect yada yada yada I'm an AT fanboy . YMMV

Edit: typo

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #20,249 of 46,514

My pair are used but still quite new. Found that they do have a bit of clamp pressure to them. From what I've read, this will go away over time. I'd say they are quite snug, and the earpads easily go around my large ears. I could wear these for hours. Of my headphones I've owned/had I'd put my Denon AH-D600 a big step up in comfort, and the Shure SRH-840 a small step up.

Quote:

These are excellent for movies. They have great detail retrieval and a very balanced signature. When it comes to movie watching, even more so than music, the presentation of headphones can be an issue. A lot of people talk about soundstage for headphones, but truthfully, headphones do not have accurate soundstage by their very nature. Stereo music (and stereo 2.1 channels for movies) are mixed and mastered for speakers to played in a room space. When listening to headphones, each ear only hears one channel discreetly, unlike when listening to a stereo speaker setup, where each ear will actually hear both channels.

As a result, listening to movies on headphones, can make it sound like your center channel is sucked right out, and everything hard panned left and right. What can work quite well, with some acceptable loss of clarity, is to use a form of Dolby processing. 

Recently, I've been using nPlayer for mobile. It has built-in Dolby Mobile and it works convincingly well with both in-ear monitors and the HD650 to make it sound like everything is in front of. Combine this with the fact that you are actually watching everything in front of you, your mind does the rest and after a while you feel like you are listening to a home theatre setup.

One thing to note, with the HD650, even though people talk about the bass being boosted, you may find this a tad lacking for some music and movies. Personally, I think it is find, but if you want to get subwoofer type bass check out Denon AH-D600 (which is solid for movies/gaming).

That said the 650 is an excellent all-rounder. Oh and the Dolby processing I was talking about above, well it actually accents the bass considerably. So this will help quite a bit. I have an amp with bass boost, so if I'm watching something that I feel could benefit from that I can flip the switch - pretty handy.

Quote:

Gaming is a different thing entirely. I'm a CS Go player, trying to wean myself off, but it is such a classic game for me, I hold it up there with chess :wink: 

For the most part, I use my Denon AH-D600, mostly because of no amp requirements, supreme comfort, and I feel their accent bass works excellently. Having owned a number of headphones, and used them with gaming, gun shots can by piercingly sharp, but some cans have a tonal signature that just smooths everything over - the D600 is one of those. It rumbles on the low ends, and never ever gets fatiguing.

The HD650 on the other hand I've been using recently on vacation, and playing CS Go, it is sharper. However, positioning is great. Better than the D600. If your game supports 'headphone' mode, this is not just an effect but changes how the audio is processed for headphones. For binaural music - the HD650 is one of the best I've listened to. 

So you have a couple recommendations from me - it is just gaming, music and mobile usage though get the AH-D600 or equivalent (not sure if there are many though).

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #20,250 of 46,514
Since I'm in Canada just bought it for $475 CAD (which is $419 USD) and amazon is great customer service and don't have to pay duties over border to Canada.

I bought mine through Musician's Friend for $399, and if you can find it cheaper, they'll match the price. They ship free in the U.S., so not sure how much extra for Canada. I never regretted decision to buy the HD650s.. and glad I have them. Someone wrote about the ATH-AD1000X headphones, and since the 650s are open back, they will be far less fatiguing to the ears...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back