Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 30, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #18,137 of 46,526
Just bought a pair of these. I owned ATH-M50s and moved on to HD 598s. I love the hell out of them but the next and top tiers interest me greatly. I really have an itch to hear them to see what I'm missing. I'm still pretty new to all of this. I didn't notice much change from the M50s to the 598s other than comfort and openness (for obvious reasons). I have a Fiio E7. I'm going to give that a shot but I'm curious about the modi/magni combo.

Just got them today. I may have caught the bug. These things tame my music. That may sound bad, I don't know, but it's so smooth. I might have to get the modi/magni now and try out one of the heaviest hitters in the headphone game. I am absolutely in love with the Audeze LCD-XC look, but want to give the open back ones a try as well. Sennheiser HD 800 too. I have a burning in my wallet all of a sudden listening to these things. A-am I screwed?

Jun 30, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #18,138 of 46,526

Just got them today. I may have caught the bug. These things tame my music. That may sound bad, I don't know, but it's so smooth. I might have to get the modi/magni now and try out one of the heaviest hitters in the headphone game. I am absolutely in love with the Audeze LCD-XC look, but want to give the open back ones a try as well. Sennheiser HD 800 too. I have a burning in my wallet all of a sudden listening to these things. A-am I screwed?

If you have to ask, you already know the answer!

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #18,140 of 46,526
  I have a burning in my wallet all of a sudden listening to these things. A-am I screwed?

When the burning sensation goes away, your body has learned to overcome the outward manifestations of your disease. You still have it, of course. It may go into remission periodically, sometimes even for years, but fundamentally is not curable. 

On the positive side, there are many world-renowned and productive people who are not ashamed of their headphone gear addiction disease (HGAD). Notable examples include ... um ... er ... well actually I can't think of any.

(Sorry about your wallet, but the burning feeling will go away. In the meantime, Nomex underwear is always a good investment.) 

Jul 1, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #18,141 of 46,526

You will be blown away by the HD 800 and then regret buying the other, lateral movement side-grade HPs in the interim.  I'll betcha a beer.

However that is not to say the HD 800s will be your flavor of choice, as they are considerably different in tone than the 650.

I thought that once I got my HD800 I wouldn't be listening to my HD650's at all, but such is not the case. I like both of them and they are different enough to each fill a need in my audio library. I can't think of anything more relaxing than some Coltrane on my HD650s in the evening after dinner. Just click on the Valhalla and be transported away...and it is legal <G>

I thought that I would still listen to my HD650 ,even after getting my HD800.....but I just did not reach for them anymore.
They are terrific cans....but i sold mine to somebody on this thread...that way I figured they would get the head time they deserved.

Jul 1, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #18,143 of 46,526
If I were to buy a DAC and AMP combo which should I get? Trying to be on a budget. I can try to stretch my budget a little bit but these are my options pretty much. HD650's haven't arrived yet but I think it's time to upgrade my amp/dac. I'm currently just using my Xonar DG as DAC/AMP
Schiit Asgard 2 + Modi
Vali + Modi
Matrix M-Stage

Jul 1, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #18,145 of 46,526
Jul 1, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #18,146 of 46,526
Maybe. Wondering what would be the best for all my headphones and maybe future ones.

Asgard 2 and Modi.... upgrade to Bifrost in future (if the budget is real tight)...

Jul 1, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #18,147 of 46,526
Maybe. Wondering what would be the best for all my headphones and maybe future ones.

The O2 was designed to work well with the majority of headphones on the market. It supposedly only starts to come unstuck with the planar varieties.

Jul 1, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #18,148 of 46,526

If you can stretch your budget, Chord Hugo is an amazing dac/amp combo.

Another option, Meridian Direct dac + Vioelectric HPA V200 would be a killer combo.

I wouldn't buy odac/amp. It's a boring sound signature. Not musical at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back