Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 28, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #18,124 of 46,514
So I've had my HD650's since December and I'm ashamed to say this is really only my second or 3rd really good listening session with them (as long as the baby stays asleep.)  The others were with my Dragonfly and my Onkyo receiver.  This time I'm finally using a Magni/Modi stack. I really enjoy these cans and wish I could fit in more time with them!

Jun 28, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #18,125 of 46,514
So I've had my HD650's since December and I'm ashamed to say this is really only my second or 3rd really good listening session with them (as long as the baby stays asleep.)  The others were with my Dragonfly and my Onkyo receiver.  This time I'm finally using a Magni/Modi stack. I really enjoy these cans and wish I could fit in more time with them!
the hd650's are one of the best I've ever heard! I'm extremely impressed with how they sound with my setup! To my ears, they're definitely a world class headphone to my ears.....I've never experienced sound this good to my ears! I'm in audiophile nirvana! :)

Jun 28, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #18,126 of 46,514
On an entry level amp I don't find the HD650 an upgrade over the Q701, more of a different flavor. I just got my Crack +Speedball so I'll see if it really scales up.
the better the amp, the more they will scale :) also, I would recommend that you try tube rolling with them....there are way better tubes out there, much better than those stock tubes...trust me :D

Jun 28, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #18,127 of 46,514

Congratulations on your Baby, first and foremost, secondly your choice of really great HP's. Enjoy your Baby, they really do grow up too fast and you will look back on this time fondly. My Oldest is out of college, Youngest is 13. You will have plenty of quality listening time in the future.

Jun 29, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #18,128 of 46,514
Congratulations on your Baby, first and foremost, secondly your choice of really great HP's. Enjoy your Baby, they really do grow up too fast and you will look back on this time fondly. My Oldest is out of college, Youngest is 13. You will have plenty of quality listening time in the future.

Thanks. "The baby" is actually my fourth. He was just the only one who could bring an end to that listening session. The wife had the 2 older girls (5 and turning 4 this month). The dogs were at the groomer and the 19 month old was napping hard. He is the lone boy and is 4 1/2 months old.

I listen the the C5 and P7s all day at work (as much as possible). I just don't get to jam open cans very often. I do fully enjoy each one very much though.

Thanks again!

Jun 29, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #18,129 of 46,514
I have just got the new velour Brainwavz HM5 ear pads and they are a perfect fit for the HD600/650, and needless to say, much cheaper too. Sure you don't have the clip-on feature but that's easily fixed with a dab of glue.

Jun 30, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #18,130 of 46,514
well I am now the proud owner of the HD650!  Picked it up from a great seller in my area for an amazing price.  They were used very little and looked brand new.

Running them off of the M-Stage for right now but will be building a Crack + SB in the next few months.

One question:  The right earcup swivel is much looser than the left.  The left one takes a bit of effort to adjust but the right moves very easily.  Not a big issue since it doesn't move once it is on your head anyways but is there a way to tighten it?  I've read this mentioned elsewhere but must have missed how to fix it.

Jun 30, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #18,131 of 46,514
Well I didn't get much action on my OTL question, but I looked into it in the meantime. Basically, the high impedance of the HD 650 and its ilk accommodate the negative trade-offs associated with an OTL valve amp design exceptionally well—they're somewhat immune to the side effects of an OTL design (mainly the high output impedance). The OTL design frees up all the difficulties of deploying a high-performing transformer, which are apparently formidable, even though OTL circuits aren't trivial, either. Beyond that, I should expect at least some nuanced sonic difference between an Asgard 2 and Valhalla 2 based on their different designs, even though the core measurements would seem to obviate any difference, and they're otherwise products of similar class. 

Clearly I'm nursing a case of upgraditus, or at least looking for something new. The Valhalla 2 seems like the most interesting thing to come along lately that matches my interests, especially with the HD 650's reputation for OTL synergy and scaling up well with upstream equipment generally, although it's still hard to anticipate a worthwhile change in performance for the investment, even after selling the A2 to offset the V2 cost. It would be fun to have pretty much all the power I could get for HD 650, though, and to try a well-regarded tube amp. And it just seems like the "right" fit on paper. And the tubes would look good on my desk.

Well then I thought, why not keep the A2 and try some complimentary headphones in a similar class, like the K702 or DT880. And then I thought, why bother with a "lateral" investment, just bite the bullet and get the HD 800, a step up in class yet also a sonic compliment to the HD 650. Then I'd really cash in on that V2 amp investment, which would look modest in comparison to the headphone upgrade. Of course I'd also be out around $1,700 at that point, and then my DAC would start to look a bit long in the tooth. And I most likely wouldn't sell the HD 650. So it goes. 

I'm mostly a straight-ahead rock music guy, but I'm cultivating an interest in classical, and to a lesser degree jazz (you know, grown-up stuff), so probably won't be long before I talk myself into the HD 800. I guess there isn't a question here, but presumably I'm not the first HD 650 owner to contemplate some upgrades, so feel free to weigh in.

Jun 30, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #18,133 of 46,514
Well I didn't get much action on my OTL question, but I looked into it in the meantime. Basically, the high impedance of the HD 650 and its ilk accommodate the negative trade-offs associated with an OTL valve amp design exceptionally well—they're somewhat immune to the side effects of an OTL design (mainly the high output impedance). The OTL design frees up all the difficulties of deploying a high-performing transformer, which are apparently formidable, even though OTL circuits aren't trivial, either. Beyond that, I should expect at least some nuanced sonic difference between an Asgard 2 and Valhalla 2 based on their different designs, even though the core measurements would seem to obviate any difference, and they're otherwise products of similar class. 

Clearly I'm nursing a case of upgraditus, or at least looking for something new. The Valhalla 2 seems like the most interesting thing to come along lately that matches my interests, especially with the HD 650's reputation for OTL synergy and scaling up well with upstream equipment generally, although it's still hard to anticipate a worthwhile change in performance for the investment, even after selling the A2 to offset the V2 cost. It would be fun to have pretty much all the power I could get for HD 650, though, and to try a well-regarded tube amp. And it just seems like the "right" fit on paper. And the tubes would look good on my desk.

Well then I thought, why not keep the A2 and try some complimentary headphones in a similar class, like the K702 or DT880. And then I thought, why bother with a "lateral" investment, just bite the bullet and get the HD 800, a step up in class yet also a sonic compliment to the HD 650. Then I'd really cash in on that V2 amp investment, which would look modest in comparison to the headphone upgrade. Of course I'd also be out around $1,700 at that point, and then my DAC would start to look a bit long in the tooth. And I most likely wouldn't sell the HD 650. So it goes. 

I'm mostly a straight-ahead rock music guy, but I'm cultivating an interest in classical, and to a lesser degree jazz (you know, grown-up stuff), so probably won't be long before I talk myself into the HD 800. I guess there isn't a question here, but presumably I'm not the first HD 650 owner to contemplate some upgrades, so feel free to weigh in.

I cannot speak to the V2, but the V 1 sounded fantastic with my 650's, but to complicate things :japanese_ogre:, I am using a Lyr 2 now, it is an awesome combination with my 650's. We listen to similar music, the pace, drive, bass control, grip are phenomenal, and with the Voskhod Silver Shields 6N23P's great for rock, I switch in a pair of Amprex Bugle Boys, for extended classical or jazz. Good luck and great listening!

Jun 30, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #18,134 of 46,514
You will be blown away by the HD 800 and then regret buying the other, lateral movement side-grade HPs in the interim.  I'll betcha a beer.

However that is not to say the HD 800s will be your flavor of choice, as they are considerably different in tone than the 650.

Jun 30, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #18,135 of 46,514
  You will be blown away by the HD 800 and then regret buying the other, lateral movement side-grade HPs in the interim.  I'll betcha a beer.

However that is not to say the HD 800s will be your flavor of choice, as they are considerably different in tone than the 650.

I thought that once I got my HD800 I wouldn't be listening to my HD650's at all, but such is not the case. I like both of them and they are different enough to each fill a need in my audio library. I can't think of anything more relaxing than some Coltrane on my HD650s in the evening after dinner. Just click on the Valhalla and be transported away...and it is legal <G>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back