Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 24, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #14,941 of 46,514
I just recently got both the HD650 and HE500.  The HE500 has much clearer sound but small sound stage.   After owning them for a week,  I prefer the sound the HD650.  It's just sound better.   It is more addicting and it makes me want to listen more.  The sound of the HE500 is clear but  without feelings.  IOM, HD650 is the best.

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #14,942 of 46,514
  I just recently got both the HD650 and HE500.  The HE500 has much clearer sound but small sound stage.   After owning them for a week,  I prefer the sound the HD650.  It's just sound better.   It is more addicting and it makes me want to listen more.  The sound of the HE500 is clear but  without feelings.  IOM, HD650 is the best.

I got the HD650 too and was hesitant about the HE500 or even the HE400, great to hear your thoughts. I love the sound coming from the HD650, I can just imagine what would it be to drive them properly (BTH Crack) bout for this year it has to be like this.

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #14,943 of 46,514
In comparison to HE400, i genuinely believe the 650s are superior. The HE400s created the initial "wow' factor, however the more I listened to both sets, the more lenient I got towards the 650s. The 650s simply sound richer.

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #14,944 of 46,514

I recently added the HD 650s, and have had the HE-500s for a couple months.  Unmodded, the HE-500s do exhibit the characteristics you mention.  Modded (grills, pads and felt), they really open up and improve.  I haven't listened to the HD 650s enough to compare to the HE-500s - also waiting for my Lyr to return from being repaired; seems unfair to compare them with only the C5 to drive them - but I can say they're very different cans.  I've enjoyed the HD 650s so far, but hardly wait to hear them driven by the Lyr.  Hopefully Thursday :)

So, you can read up on the various HE-500 mods (all reversible), and see if they're something you'd like to try.  Here are some links:

Jergpad Mod
Re-grilling Mod
"Fuzzor" Mod

And I should mention my own mod: sticking AKG Q701 pads on the HE-500s.  For now that's what I use, though I have the Jergpads I made.

Of course, one could argue that the HD 650s are better, because they don't need to be modded.  Still, I love my HE-500s.  I reckon I'll love the HD 650s, too.

Dec 24, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #14,945 of 46,514
Bottlehead S.E.X. without any modifications is more suitable for lower impedance phones than the Sennheiser 650. For example my AKG Q701 sounds very good on Bottlehead S.E.X. but 650 sounds so so. On my other OTL tube amp, the 650 sounds much better than AKG Q701. I do not have the Crack, but after reading numerous posts, I think Crack as an OTL amp might be a better amp for 650 than S.E.X.. 

Quote:
  Has anyone tried the HD650 with Bottlehead S.E.X.?

Dec 24, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #14,946 of 46,514
Is the BHC above my knowledge and too advanced for me?

I think it's out of my current price range anyway as I will also need a DAC, but I am just wondering if the BHC is too advanced for me and if I should grab vali/modi or magni/modi instead. Space is also an issue for me, and it looks like it's pretty big!

I know nothing about these things, I am not even entirely sure what I'm buying. I don't fully understand tubes and have no idea what a speedball is. I'm guess I should just go with something else and not pay attention to BHC?

Also a question I asked earlier: I read reports of cell phones interfering (causing audible noises) with the Vali. Is this a realistic issue or was the user unlucky? My device will basically be between two PC's, both with WiFi cards and two cell phones on the desk at basically all times.

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #14,947 of 46,514
Mate, I asked myself all those same questions. It's not incredibly easy but about as difficult as Lego Technics and it's indisputably the best sound I've ever heard with these phones. Wonderful.

You won't regret it.

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #14,948 of 46,514
Mate, I asked myself all those same questions. It's not incredibly easy but about as difficult as Lego Technics and it's indisputably the best sound I've ever heard with these phones. Wonderful.

You won't regret it.

+1
Plus you always can get in for sale forum already assembled one. After hearing one you will no longer be interested in Vali or Lyr

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #14,950 of 46,514
  I kept my HD650 in the box given every time i am not using it and they give some smell over time. Smells like mould and it is awful, probably due to the humid weather here. How do you guys keep them. Sigh.

I'd invest in a decent headphone stand (or at least something to hang them on in a safe place) instead. I never had a problem with my HD 650, but both HD 700's I've had had a really weird funky smell to them out of the box, but keeping them out in the open over time, and the smell just went away. I think it was the foam inside the original box...smelled like some kind of toxic chemicals.

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #14,951 of 46,514

You won't regret it.

How much space does it require on my desk? Is it fragile?

Also, what's the price difference between this and a Vali anyway? I can get help doing it myself as well. I need a DAC with it still too, don't I?

Dec 24, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #14,952 of 46,514
  I'd invest in a decent headphone stand (or at least something to hang them on in a safe place) instead. I never had a problem with my HD 650, but both HD 700's I've had had a really weird funky smell to them out of the box, but keeping them out in the open over time, and the smell just went away. I think it was the foam inside the original box...smelled like some kind of toxic chemicals.

Oh, definitely get a leg for mine too. I thought that was only mine! Almost suffocated every time open the box.

Dec 24, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #14,953 of 46,514
Hey guys,

Just got a pair of the 650's!!! Know there is a long burn in period but am wondering what the best music / sound to play for the burn in is - any opinions? Also looking for any music that might still sound great right out of the box / good on the 650's in general. Looking to expand my music library right now so throw out any and all suggestions! Have been listening to David Lanz, Miles Davis, Air, Daft Punk, and Christmas music.

Thanks!

Dec 25, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #14,955 of 46,514
I prefer HD650 over SR325is for classical music, especially those symphonic with large sound stage. But HD650 is obviously more expensive, and requires amp...while SR325is doesn't.
However, many grado headphones are very picky about the amp, and sometimes it sounds worse with the amp...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back