Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #14,731 of 46,525
  (I heard them briefly many years ago.. and have completely forgotten how they sound), so I'm thinking about giving them a shot just for s&g.

I just got some new 650s to go with my 600/700/800 Senn addiction collection.  At meets it's easy to say the 600 and 650 sounds very much a like.  At home I can confidently say the 650 is a more refined, smoother-ish 600, but not by too much but enough to instantly hear it.  And yes, more resolving.  Soundstage depth I dunno about.

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #14,732 of 46,525
I was just checking out the price history of the HD600 and HD650 on amazon UK via camelcamelcamel.co.uk and even though these are pretty old headphones, their price doesn't seem to be decreasing, in fact I think the price has gone up even? Why is this?

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #14,733 of 46,525
I don't know if its Vali love but I've never been so impressed by my HD650. Listening to Handel Water Music by Pinnock, an album I've listened to many times, and hearing just amazing detail and depth w/ the Vali. Both detailed and musical at the same time. I normally get tired of the HD650 for string heavy orchestras but I'm really digging it today w/ the Vali. 

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #14,734 of 46,525
Long time lurker, barely poster. 

Just joined the club.

Been listening for about an hour through my modest Aune T1, running through my genres and just put on Diana Krall. Good. Lord. I read all over the mids are good on these. You guys weren't kidding.

I think I found the only headphone's I'll ever need. Now I just need to save up for this Crack everyone is talking about... 

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #14,737 of 46,525
HD650 ordered!  I went with my favorite/trusty vendor, RazorDogAudio.  I'm quite excited to hear the HD650.  Not sure if I'll keep the HE-500, though.. I don't really need two full sized, open headphones.

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #14,738 of 46,525
Loving the Vali/HD650 synergy.

I did a volume matched comparison against the balanced Mjolnir to test my initial impressions. The Vali doesn't have the same control of lower registers, nor the width of soundstage. On first listen I thought the Vali was more detailed. That's not the case. The Mj is just as resolving.

What the Vali has, and what makes it such a compelling listen, is an almost reverb like quality that conveys a great sense of depth and even height in the soundstage. There's a pristine clarity to the upper registers that illuminates the individual details rendered within. People have used "wet" to describe the presentation and others have expressed confusion. I attribute this descriptor to the smooth transitions. There's an organic flow here, a "liquidity" that distinguishes the Vali from the slight grain and etch evident in the leading edges conveyed by the solid state Mjolnir.

This isn't to say the Vali trounces the Mj. When switching back to the balanced Mjolnir, the control it exerts over the lower regions, the energetic attack and explosive dynamics are immediately evident. It's instant, foot-stompin', get-up-and-tear-the-walls-down gratification. I also don't need the Mjolnir to highlight the slightly one note and flabby lower registers of the Vali*.

On the other hand, the Vali has this ability to distract from other tasks and draw me into the music. Through the Mjolnir I tend to pick apart aspects of sq, missing the forest for the trees. With the Vali, perceived deficiencies in sq don't really matter. It's all about the music.

*This aspect could be a deal breaker for some. I concede that. One thing to note though is that the bass does seem to tighten up after the unit has warmed up.

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #14,739 of 46,525

Another fine candidate for the HD600! Have you tried it? I feel the same way as you every time I listen to the HD650. I always end up going back to the HD600! 

I previously owned the HD600,liked the sound signature,but found it a little light in the bass.I feel confident as the HD650 burns the bass will be to my liking.One thing I do like compared to the HD600 is to me the HD650 has a little more punch to it and sounds more exciting to listen to similar to my LCD-2's that I also previously owned.I am running my HD650 with a Violectric V90 and Yulong D18,had fears of it sounding a little too mellow in the highs,but so far I am a happy boy with the upper frequencies.

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #14,740 of 46,525
  Loving the Vali/HD650 synergy.

I did a volume matched comparison against the balanced Mjolnir to test my initial impressions. The Vali doesn't have the same control of lower registers, nor the width of soundstage. On first listen I thought the Vali was more detailed. That's not the case. The Mj is just as resolving.

What the Vali has, and what makes it such a compelling listen, is an almost reverb like quality that conveys a great sense of depth and even height in the soundstage. There's a pristine clarity to the upper registers that illuminates the individual details rendered within. People have used "wet" to describe the presentation and others have expressed confusion. I attribute this descriptor to the smooth transitions. There's an organic flow here, a "liquidity" that distinguishes the Vali from the slight grain and etch evident in the leading edges conveyed by the solid state Mjolnir.

This isn't to say the Vali trounces the Mj. When switching back to the balanced Mjolnir, the control it exerts over the lower regions, the energetic attack and explosive dynamics are immediately evident. It's instant, foot-stompin', get-up-and-tear-the-walls-down gratification. I also don't need the Mjolnir to highlight the slightly one note and flabby lower registers of the Vali*.

On the other hand, the Vali has this ability to distract from other tasks and draw me into the music. Through the Mjolnir I tend to pick apart aspects of sq, missing the forest for the trees. With the Vali, perceived deficiencies in sq don't really matter. It's all about the music.

*This aspect could be a deal breaker for some. I concede that. One thing to note though is that the bass does seem to tighten up after the unit has warmed up.

My observations of the HD650 with with the Vali vs. the Mjolnir are similar.  The Mjolnir is technically better and has a larger soundstage, but the Vali has a very engaging organic sound, with lots of detail and remarkably coherent treble for the HD650. I noticed the touch of reverb with the Vali right away--and it sounds like very fine analog equipment. The Vali is flat out one of the best amps I've ever heard with the HD650 for it's balance of detail and neutrality with the HD650s warm signature.

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #14,741 of 46,525
I don't own any Senns, yet, but I've got the urge to try the HD 600s or HD 650s.  I've done a lot of reading the last few days, but I'm still not sure which I'd prefer.  I'm looking for something different from the HE-500s and Q701s.  I'm leaning toward the 650s, as neither of the other two are "laid back."  I've modded both to the point where I'm pretty happy, going so far as to put Q701 pads on the HE-500s.

Whatever I get will be driven by a Lyr, primarily, and a JDS Labs C5, occasionally.  Either amp could use the HiFimeDIY U2 Sabre DAC or the Bifrost Uber I'll be getting soon, but it'll mostly be Lyr+Bifrost, then C5+U2 Sabre.  99% will be FLACs, some hi-res.

I've got a decent collection of tubes for the Lyr, so I can vary the sound as needed.

So my question(s) for you are, will the Lyr+Bifrost combo be as good as I'm imagining it with the 650s?  I've read they scale up nicely.  I don't listen to much that's too frenetic; no death metal or fast punk, so I'm not worried about the 650s being able to keep up.  It's mostly classic and indie rock:

Rush, Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Neil Young, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Van Morrison, Creedence, Roxy Music, Steely Dan, VU, Peter Gabriel, Echo & the Bunnymen, The Flaming Lips, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., Robert Pollard (all incarnations), Darker My Love, Jesus and Mary Chain, Poster Children (greatest band you've never heard of...?), British Sea Power, The Bevis Frond (2nd greatest...?), Camper Van Beethoven, Robyn Hitchcock, Stereolab, Built To Spill, Elvis Costello, Luna, Paul K (3rd greatest...?), Pavement, Spiritualized, zengomi (my brother :wink:, et alia.

The HE-500s are likely to remain my main cans, so I'm happy to switch as needed.

Is there any point in getting some Senns, particularly the 650s, given all of above?  Demoing is not an option.  A used pair is, hopefully.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
beerchug.gif

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #14,742 of 46,525
  Hello,

Got myself a a-couple-of-months-old second hand HD650 reserved for tomorrow.

Having read Mad Lust Envy's gaming-oriented review on the cans, I'd like to know if soundstage and positioning is indeed in need of improvement. I love listening to music and from what I've read, not one time I came across with a review criticising HD650, so I'm definitely into this pair, so I was wondering if cable/amp etc. upgrade could improve soundstage and positioning of the headphones.

I'll be pairing this with a  Asus Xonar U7 for starters but what else can I do, if I ever can ? Or should I give up on HD650 and look somewhere else?

Thank you.

I have the HD595 and HD650 headphones.  The HD650 is hands down better for music.  I also prefer the HD650 for single player games.  The headphones are all around better, and they also have more bass, so you get impact out of explosions and such.

However, if you are looking for headphones for a COMPETITIVE gaming session, I think the HD595 are better.  I do not think the term is 'soundstage' but the HD595s seem to have more "space" around in which sounds can be coming from.  The sounds from the HD650 are all closer to your ear.  What this means is that the HD595 is a little better at conveying positional locations of enemy sounds (shots/footsteps).  The HD650 reproduces the sound better, but the extra spaciousness of the sounds from the HD595 seem to really help with positional cues.

Furthermore, the bass is much much less in the HD595s.  This is actually a good thing in competitive games.  Explosions can cover up the sound of a gun shot or footsteps.  So it is a bit easier to hear those things on the HD595.

But still for single player games the HD650 is better.  It is makes the game more engaging.  And with the HD595, if you are playing a game like Skyrim, sometimes when you are talking to someone, it can sound like they are far away from you, when they are right near you.  With the HD650, the voices sound more natural.  

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #14,745 of 46,525

Thanks 
smile.gif
  I knew we had an NSA mindreader here 
wink.gif
  To paraphrase Han Solo, I dunno, I can imagine quite a lot.

I know which thread I'm in, but would you say the 650 over the 600?  If so, why?  Please give me your best subjective take on it.  Seriously.

I'd guess a lot of the negative reviews I've read have been from people underamping the 650s, whereas a lot of the detailed positive reviews have come from people who specifically mentioned the importance of proper amping.  Tyll is a notable exception, preferring the 600.  nwavguy has a nice positive review of the 650 on his blog.

Well, let's see what Santa says, but I'm curious to hear your take on the matter, and anyone else who cares to chime in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back