Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 3, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #14,611 of 46,514
  Anyone here use the Vali with the HD650's yet? Impressions?

I would say for the HD-650 (ONLY!) it's comparable in sound to the Fiio E9.
I tried about 5-6 different sources with the Vali and HD-650 and can't hear them with the Vali.

However, the Vali is very good with my modded Q701.

I'm a little disappointed I don't like it much with the HD-650. O2 and even the Magni is far better for the HD-650 (IMO).

The soundstage of the Vali is very closed in and doesn't do the HD-650 any favors. Vali also has very farty/loose bass with the HD-650 and any source i've tried. Maybe you could buy a $10,000 DAC to fix the Vali's problems.

EDIT: The only thing for me that could save the Vali with the HD-650 is that if you had a DAC with a massive soundstage and it had about zero warmth.

Strangely enough the Vali with the Q701 sounds dead neutral.

Dec 3, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #14,613 of 46,514
Has anyone here ever used both Morgan Jones' amplifier and the Bottlehead Crack for their HD 650s? Would love to know a conclusion, since there's almost nothing I've found about the Morgan Jones one and I have a chance of getting one.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #14,615 of 46,514
Hi guys please give me some advise I will get my HD650 today.
I already ordered the Fiio e17 for 88usd new condition and it is on the way also i cannot return it since there is no free return at adorama.com
I also bought the dragonfly for 99usd+tax yesterday at bestbuy this i can return easily. 

So should i keep the Fiio e17 and return the dragonfly or keep the dragonfly and resell or cancel the fiio e17. Or should i just get the Schiit Magni for now then later on get the Modi or should i get Modi for now and later on get the Magni or should I get both at a time . 
I also think of keep the e17 for now and get the e09k later on but i head the magni modi sounds better. 
Or should i keep the dragon fly/e17 and buy the magni and connect dragonfly/e17 to magni (i dont know if it is possible or not)

I am really confused as this is my first time buying an expensive headphone and first time ever buy an dac and amp. 

thank you for your help.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #14,617 of 46,514
I would keep DragonFly over E17

So i will keep the dragonfly and later get the magni and set up
laptop ->dragonfly -> magni ->hd650 
Is it possible to have this setup. how is it compare to the laptop ->modi->magni->hd650 

Have you heard them personally. I am willing to wait and give up short term benefit for long term gain, I can even just get the Magni or Modi and use it for now and later on get the other if magni modi is the best option i can have.

thank you for your opinion. 

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #14,618 of 46,514

How does the SQ compare to O2 (as O2 is considered one of the more transparent)?

Sorry not able to help you with that as I have not heard the O2 all I can say is the Crack has plenty of detail and transparency sometimes to much depending on which headphone and the tube you are running the beauty is you can roll another tube and it will can become so musical and holographic in presentation real soaring headroom and body to vocals with out so much detail which can be annoying sometimes. I am having a lot of fun with it works well both my HD650 and T1's have never sounded better.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #14,619 of 46,514
I would keep DragonFly over E17

So i will keep the dragonfly and later get the magni and set up
laptop ->dragonfly -> magni ->hd650 
Is it possible to have this setup. how is it compare to the laptop ->modi->magni->hd650 

Have you heard them personally. I am willing to wait and give up short term benefit for long term gain, I can even just get the Magni or Modi and use it for now and later on get the other if magni modi is the best option i can have.

thank you for your opinion. 

Yes I heard them personally that why I'm posting my opinion but I would go with Asgard, there is plenty in for sale forum and even I sell one

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #14,620 of 46,514
Yes I heard them personally that why I'm posting my opinion but I would go with Asgard, there is plenty in for sale forum and even I sell one

Hi you mean keep the dragon fly and later on get the Asgard 2. 

Do you know how to connect the Dragonfly to the Asgard 2. which cable should i use?

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #14,622 of 46,514
  Hi you mean keep the dragon fly and later on get the Asgard 2. 

Do you know how to connect the Dragonfly to the Asgard 2. which cable should i use?

I quite like the Audioquest Evergreen. Quality built and not too expensive at $35. Works great going from my 3.5mm connection on my DAC to the stereo RCA on my amp. Some people swear by cheapy cables, some swear by even higher end stuff. I think this is a great cable personally and would buy another in a heartbeat if needed.

Edit: Check Audioquest's website and make sure you're buying from an authorized vendor. There are several available on Amazon, but not all are legit.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #14,623 of 46,514

How does the SQ compare to O2 (as O2 is considered one of the more transparent)?

Sorry not able to help you with that as I have not heard the O2 all I can say is the Crack has plenty of detail and transparency sometimes to much depending on which headphone and the tube you are running the beauty is you can roll another tube and it will can become so musical and holographic in presentation real soaring headroom and body to vocals with out so much detail which can be annoying sometimes. I am having a lot of fun with it works well both my HD650 and T1's have never sounded better.

Thinking about your question another way the Cracks ability in transparency is beyond that which my HD650 in standard form can resolve if that's any help. Plugging the T1's into the Crack and it will resolve details that my own HD 650 clearly misses and the Crack 650 combo is well know for its superb synergy they really are a killer combo..

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #14,624 of 46,514

I quite like the Audioquest Evergreen. Quality built and not too expensive at $35. Works great going from my 3.5mm connection on my DAC to the stereo RCA on my amp. Some people swear by cheapy cables, some swear by even higher end stuff. I think this is a great cable personally and would buy another in a heartbeat if needed.

Edit: Check Audioquest's website and make sure you're buying from an authorized vendor. There are several available on Amazon, but not all are legit.

It's very simple you need 1/8" on DragonFly side and regular RCA on Asgard side

Thank you two for your opinion. It is very helpful. 

:frowning2: I just called adorama and they said too late to cancel the order. I will receive the e17 (88usd lwoest price ever seen)

I guess i will have to return the dragonfly and later on get the e09k or maybe get the magni modi if i have enough money and resell the e17. I think the magni + modi sounds better than Dragonfly + Magni since they made for each others. Do you guys think so ? 

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #14,625 of 46,514

I would say for the HD-650 (ONLY!) it's comparable in sound to the Fiio E9.
I tried about 5-6 different sources with the Vali and HD-650 and can't hear them with the Vali.

However, the Vali is very good with my modded Q701.

I'm a little disappointed I don't like it much with the HD-650. O2 and even the Magni is far better for the HD-650 (IMO).

The soundstage of the Vali is very closed in and doesn't do the HD-650 any favors. Vali also has very farty/loose bass with the HD-650 and any source i've tried. Maybe you could buy a $10,000 DAC to fix the Vali's problems.

EDIT: The only thing for me that could save the Vali with the HD-650 is that if you had a DAC with a massive soundstage and it had about zero warmth.

Strangely enough the Vali with the Q701 sounds dead neutral.

Thank you for your input. I was pondering whether or not to get a Vali or Magni (going from a FiiO E09K) and got several mixed reactions from members here on Head-fi. I e-mailed a tech at Schiit asking the tech which amp (the Magni or Vali) I should choose to go with my Titanium HD Soundcard and the HD650's. Here was the tech's reply:

"Vali, without a doubt."
  (Tech's name omitted)

Now after reading your post I am concerned again because I am going from a FiiO E09K which is basically the same thing as the FiiO E9 that you mentioned sounded pretty much the same as the Vali. Maybe I will get better results coming from my Titanium HD - I hope so.

Thank you for your response and input tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back