Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 22, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #11,896 of 46,565
Quote:
I haven't been on this site for years but the hd650 is still the king phone!....with double the hits here as the hd800 thread? It's crazy! Not much has changed.

My 650 has been sitting in the top of a cupboard for five years or more due to natural selection. Imo its hardly worth the effort to sell this kind of stuff...more fun to get it out for a comparison every few years.

It was the bass of the 650 which was the big let down for me. I really loved everything else, but that weak bass reminded me of listening to a gigantic tight paper coned horn speaker with a teeny little magnet and barely any travel.

Apart from the bass they're a great phone though.

My amp etc is fne. Any tips on how to enjoy them would be great. I like DIY modding. Any simple mods to tighten and deepen that bass?

if you wanted deep bass then you should sell these headphones asap... they have a mid bass punch but rolled off sub bass as well as treble... they are mid oriented headphones...

edit: okay read your post fully... they are a mid-fi headphones now which people buy due to budget restrictions and acceptable quality...

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #11,897 of 46,565
Quote:

I like to listen to electronica a lot with the HD-650. And, as much as I love the HD-650, I'm sorry to say, if you're specifically looking for that extra "oomph", I'm not sure you'll find it with the HD-650. I personally love electronica with the HD-650, because I love all those mid-focused synthesizer parts... which, since they're mids, the HD-650 happens to do really, really well. So I personally have no problem with electronica on the HD-650. 

But if you're specifically looking for bigger bass impact, I'm not sure there is much you can do. 

I have admit, however, that I don't have much experience with pairing the HD-650 with other amps and DACs, so it certainly is possible getting different sources, may help with the bass. Maybe other people may chime in with their experiences? I know user yokken listens to electronica a lot, and has a pair of HD-650's as well. 

I got one of Jan Meiers PCStep, I think its his 'house' sound but the bass on the hd650's with this little portable DAC/AMP is deep, controlled, has slam when needed and driven with a lot of authority compared to the other stuff I own it made the hd650's really quite bassy I was suprised.

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #11,898 of 46,565
LCD2 = HD650 with fuller bass, and added refinement. More body, more natural sound, better dimensionality.

Tradeoffs being less air between instruments.

Don't bother if what you want is bass bloat. The LCD2 renders bass naturally, and won't add bass for the hell of it.

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #11,899 of 46,565
Quote:
Hmm...I have not heard the T1 but have owned the dt770/880/990. They all had a V curve so I assumed that the T1 would be similar. 

I agree with Flisker about the bass on the 650. But may be plenty of sub bass for us may not be enough for you. 
size]

I just feel like that amp has to be doing the bass difference, because with my setup I can feel quite strong sub-bass and I'm not bass light guy, but quite the opposite. I want to feel the music, not just hear. 

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #11,901 of 46,565
Quote:
Then you should get yourself a nice speaker based system

It's not possible, because If I would crank it as high as I do headphones nobody in house would approve that, they already don't like open headphones :D

But HD650 gives me nice feel of music, same with T1.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #11,902 of 46,565
Then you should get yourself a nice speaker based system

I just feel like that amp has to be doing the bass difference, because with my setup I can feel quite strong sub-bass and I'm not bass light guy, but quite the opposite. I want to feel the music, not just hear. 

I agree with muxamed on this. While my headphones are better in terms of clarity, detail retrieval, and neutrality, they're no substitute for the the impact and tactile experience of my speaker setup (and my speakers are on the low end of the spectrum in those categories).

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #11,903 of 46,565
Quote:
I agree with muxamed on this. While my headphones are better in terms of clarity, detail retrieval, and neutrality, they're no substitute for the the impact and tactile experience of my speaker setup (and my speakers are on the low end of the spectrum in those categories).

Guess I'll have to look into speakers too someday, when I get my own house :wink: 

Apr 22, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #11,904 of 46,565
if you wanted deep bass then you should sell these headphones asap... they have a mid bass punch but rolled off sub bass as well as treble... they are mid oriented headphones...

edit: okay read your post fully... they are a mid-fi headphones now which people buy due to budget restrictions and acceptable quality...
Don't get me wrong..I have other phones and loudspeakers which fulfil my needs superbly. I just wanted to know if there were any mods people do on the 650?

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #11,905 of 46,565
I think that you're looking for the lcd2.2 
size]

Beyerdynamic T1 :) Bass impact and just bass overall is amazing on these, SQ is higher than HD650 imo.

But as for HD650 bass ... there is plenty of it, even sub bass, just add little EQ and that's it if you like these headphones.

I'm from Singapore too and Hifiman can be found if you head to the Adelphi and look around on the first floor, I remember a shop selling the HE-500 and HE-6. I also have tried the Denon line of Hps and the recessed mids are quite the opposite of the 650's mids. If you're looking for the 650 and wishing for more bass, they respond quite well to an EQ and you can crank the bass up quite a bit before distortion sets in.

LCD-2 and te d7ks are slightly out of my price range but still on my list nevertheless. The beyer t1's treble is a no no for me! And I'm not exactly a fan of eqing or bass boost functions but I gotta say, te hd650 plus bass boost is pretty good but sometimes it maybe overwhelming. And yes, I agree the LCD-2 is basically a hd650 better in every way. But it's hard to power and heavy!

@noobmachine,

Jaben sells them too but no demo and no return policy equals I'm not taking the risk.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #11,906 of 46,565
Hard to power? Lol. The LCD2 sounds good off everything. It's very easy to power, and I've hooked it up from headphone jacks to a very powerful SA-31. Any decent amp will make them sing. Don't believe the hyperbole. They aren't that picky.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #11,907 of 46,565
^ +1
Yeah the LCD 2s aren't that difficult to drive, my cMoy actually can power them decently. And @myap,the shop wasn't jaben, it was another store at the bottom floor, they have both the HE 500 had LCD2s for demo, and they have schiit amps as well, I believe the shop is called Audio Iconic if I'm bit mistaken. And also having owned both 650 and LCD2s, I wouldn't say it has more bass, it has better extended bass, and better quality bass, nor exactly "more oomph" to put it that way. And there is also a strange lack of dynamics in the LCD2 that isn't a problem in the 650s.

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #11,909 of 46,565
I was thinking of getting a Schiit Lyr for my HD650 and using my Nuforce Icon HD/HDP solely as a DAC since it gets such high praise. Does anyone happen to be running this combination? Worth it for the amp upgrade?

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #11,910 of 46,565
Quote:
^ +1
Yeah the LCD 2s aren't that difficult to drive, my cMoy actually can power them decently. And @myap,the shop wasn't jaben, it was another store at the bottom floor, they have both the HE 500 had LCD2s for demo, and they have schiit amps as well, I believe the shop is called Audio Iconic if I'm bit mistaken. And also having owned both 650 and LCD2s, I wouldn't say it has more bass, it has better extended bass, and better quality bass, nor exactly "more oomph" to put it that way. And there is also a strange lack of dynamics in the LCD2 that isn't a problem in the 650s.

Oh Yeah! They have a deal going on: Lyr+Bitfrost+LCD-2 for SGD 2788. I nearly settled for that but well the price...
O.o The HE500 is available for audition? But, I just checked for a graph and the peak at 9-10 hz is slightly worrying 
and the bass response isn't promising because I heard a guy said it isn't enough. The reason I like the HD650 is 
its tastefully darkened sound sig. and also the superb sense of openness and I've confirmed that these are indeed
their strengths. The LCD-2 isn't like heavy on bass but it has a more impactful low end. More dimensionality (Imaging),
sure! More Articulate Mids, duh. Same Dark Sound, yup.

I think if ANYONE comes saying, what should I upgrade to frm the HD650 with a thousand bucks, the answer would be
definitely the LCD-2 no argument.

@NoobMachine, have your had any experience with the D7ks, it sounds like its for me, but I'm afraid it maybe too bright because
the HD650's treble quantity is just right for me. 

What exactly is the minimum to power the lcd-2, I heard on the audeze website min is 1w and optimum is >2w, and I doubt audeze
wants to screw themselves by saying its a hard to power hp, becos that would turn some customers away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back