Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #9,136 of 46,513
Quote:
Can't help you with the HE-500's...The RS1i's are (for me) too bright. The HD650's give me all the dynamics I crave for metal without the fatigue I got from the RS1i's....

Mind if I ask you what is meant when people mention 'fatigue' with headphones? Like, what makes a headphone more fatiguing than the other exactly?

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #9,137 of 46,513
Quote:
Mind if I ask you what is meant when people mention 'fatigue' with headphones? Like, what makes a headphone more fatiguing than the other exactly?

An experienced excessive amount of frequency response, typically in the higher (more sensitive) regions.

That would probably make a headphone sound bright. However, too much bass can be fatiguing just as much.

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #9,138 of 46,513
Quote:
An experienced excessive amount of frequency response, typically in the higher (more sensitive) regions.

That would probably make a headphone sound bright. However, too much bass can be fatiguing just as much.

Comfort or lack of can also lead to fatigue.

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #9,139 of 46,513
Quote:

Ah, I see now. So, the reason why the HD 650s are highly recommended is because they are more neutral than compared with the Grados? Also, is there any significant difference between the 600s and 650s from Sennheiser?

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #9,141 of 46,513
Quote:

+1  This is what fatigues me for long term listening....

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #9,142 of 46,513
Quote:
Ah, I see now. So, the reason why the HD 650s are highly recommended is because they are more neutral than compared with the Grados? Also, is there any significant difference between the 600s and 650s from Sennheiser?

Well the HD650's have a dip somewhere in the higher frequencies which may account for some people calling them dark sounding (I don't really agree with it but I understand where they're coming from). You can see it here in the graph (around 7kHz):

I guess it's partially the reason people would say the 650's highs seem rolled off, which together with a very controlled bass response, rich mids and great comfort, make them arguably very non-fatiguing and appropriate for long listening sessions.

Wish I could comment on the Grados and HD600.

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #9,144 of 46,513
Hmm, well that might give me an answer as to which to choose. When I sit down at my computer on days I don't have work, I usually listen to music and read for quite some time. So if the 650s are the least 'fatiguing', and most comfortable to wear for long periods of time, that could be my best choice.

What amp would you recommend to pair with the 650s? Oh and by the way, my 555s headband had cracked above the ear pads. Does this ever happen on the 650s? I'd hate to spend 3 times as much for headphones and have that same problem occur.

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #9,145 of 46,513
No issues with the headband so far....

As far as the amp goes....Budget please.....
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #9,146 of 46,513
Quote:
Hmm, well that might give me an answer as to which to choose. When I sit down at my computer on days I don't have work, I usually listen to music and read for quite some time. So if the 650s are the least 'fatiguing', and most comfortable to wear for long periods of time, that could be my best choice.

What amp would you recommend to pair with the 650s? Oh and by the way, my 555s headband had cracked above the ear pads. Does this ever happen on the 650s? I'd hate to spend 3 times as much for headphones and have that same problem occur.

To be fair, I've never heard anyone say the HD600's are fatiguing. I don't know much about the Grado's though other than that people generally seem to love them for rock and metal.

I agree with keeping the amping rather budget, since you can get any of those headphones to sound great with 200 to 300 bucks of amping. But this is a matter of budget and interest in tubes or solid state etc.

No issues here with the headband either, by the way. I can't imagine how to break that thing. I've had the 650's for close to a year now and the band has neither chipped nor damaged in the slightest. Ofcourse, like any proud owner I handle them with great care.

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #9,147 of 46,513
$500 is probably the max amount I would spend on an amplifier. Then again, I don't know too much about amplifiers and their prices these days, so bear with me. I guess I should also say the sound card I have as well. It is the HT Omega Claro, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271002

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #9,148 of 46,513
Quote:
$500 is probably the max amount I would spend on an amplifier. Then again, I don't know too much about amplifiers and their prices these days, so bear with me. I guess I should also say the sound card I have as well. It is the HT Omega Claro, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271002

That would probably serve you as a great dac to work with.

In terms of amping, I find it hard to make any recommendations. At some point I just decided to go with the Little Dot IV and I love the combination. But the things I find important and the budget I had were probably different from your situation. So all I can advise you is to take your time making a good decision :).

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #9,149 of 46,513
When people say a specific headphone works better with a tube amp rather than solid state, why is that exactly? What is the difference between the two and what they have to offer? And is one preferred over the other for the 650s?

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #9,150 of 46,513
In regards to amps, I tested the HD650 on a Violectric V100 (solid state) vs tube amps like ALO Pan Am, Little Dot Mk 3, Schiit Valhalla.

The difference to my ears is that the solid state sound is cleaner and a bit leaner then the tube amps I've tried. Tube sound is warmer and fuller to my ears.

I have a Graham Slee Solo SGRII on the way fit a 3 week trial. So I will report back on it vs the LD Mk3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back