Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 23, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #691 of 46,527
My HD650 should be here tomorrow. Woot, I can't wait to use it w/ WA6. I'll post my impressions after I play with it for a few hours.

Apr 26, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #693 of 46,527
i have a love/hate relationship with my HD650's. their expressiveness of the music is both seductive and addicting. they are absolutely spectacular when they do perform the way they're suppose to, but they are extremely picky. the most picky headphones out of the bunch i have tried so far (maybe because of the sensitivity to equipment issue?). i probably spent most of my money trying to find something to suit them well. i found them to be too veiled with the tube amps i tried so far (LD MK3 and X-CAN v3). both known to drive them pretty well. even with a SS amp like the Gilmore lite, i still found it to be a bit veiled. so i'm thinking maybe it's my DAC, but when i use my CDP/amp combo it is still veiled. for best results, i usually plug them straight into my CD5001 and i hear no veil at all. details, ambiance and everything.

on another note, the newer 650's definitely do sound more detailed, faster, and a bit clearer than the old pair that i had. the old was super laid-back.

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #694 of 46,527
If you want to remove the veil, try the WE403b tubes and also try the double helix cables. It helped my 650s a lot. And obviously the dac plays a big role as well, if you can find one that is detailed yet smooth and increases the punch of the 650s, you'll be in love. I think part of the veil ppl talk about it just the laid back sound of the headphones, it lacked punch (attack) to me.

also on the LD3 try different gain settings. The lower you go the muddier it will sound. With a gain of 10 I actually find the cans to be a bit too bright.

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #695 of 46,527
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have a love/hate relationship with my HD650's. their expressiveness of the music is both seductive and addicting. they are absolutely spectacular when they do perform the way they're suppose to, but they are extremely picky. the most picky headphones out of the bunch i have tried so far (maybe because of the sensitivity to equipment issue?). i probably spent most of my money trying to find something to suit them well. i found them to be too veiled with the tube amps i tried so far (LD MK3 and X-CAN v3). both known to drive them pretty well. even with a SS amp like the Gilmore lite, i still found it to be a bit veiled. so i'm thinking maybe it's my DAC, but when i use my CDP/amp combo it is still veiled. for best results, i usually plug them straight into my CD5001 and i hear no veil at all. details, ambiance and everything.

on another note, the newer 650's definitely do sound more detailed, faster, and a bit clearer than the old pair that i had. the old was super laid-back.

that CD5001 / HD650 is a very underated combo....I do the same with my 650's...and 600's for that mater.

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #696 of 46,527
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that CD5001 / HD650 is a very underated combo....I do the same with my 650's...and 600's for that mater.

yep...VERY underrated. i'm not saying that it sounds bad when driven through other amps, it just sounds dull and leaves me bored. when driven through the CD5001 it just opens up a lot more where i can hear everything, sounds more lively and realistic. it's a lot more breathtaking and blissful. i find it strange though how people say it would sound better when driven through a dedicated dac and amp. i found the exact opposite. only problem is most of my music is on file in my HDD and not on CD. :/

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #697 of 46,527
Maybe it's your DAC. If you are still using the Oritek, it's really just a Zhaolu with an added DC-Servo.

It may be possible that the DAC in your CD5001 is in fact better than your Oritek, maybe finding a different external DAC is your answer for all your music on your HDD.

Apr 26, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #698 of 46,527
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yep...VERY underrated. i'm not saying that it sounds bad when driven through other amps, it just sounds dull and leaves me bored. when driven through the CD5001 it just opens up a lot more where i can hear everything, sounds more lively and realistic. it's a lot more breathtaking and blissful. i find it strange though how people say it would sound better when driven through a dedicated dac and amp. i found the exact opposite. only problem is most of my music is on file in my HDD and not on CD. :/

the less "stuff' between the source and the "speakers / headphones" the better...IMHO

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #700 of 46,527
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogzthmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do people think of their de-foamed HD650?

I like it, I have two 650'ties one original and one defoamed. I almost always use the defoamed one and compare it with the "original" once in a while.
The only thing I did is cover the front with nylon stocking to prevent dust soiling the driver.
I also covered the back of the driver with nylon stocking and tightened it with a tie-wrap. Without it the sound was to upfront for me.
Now it is just fine, tight deep warm bass, highs and mids are extended and the soundstage is wider and deeper.

Apr 28, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #701 of 46,527
the De-foamed one is more bright correct? does it tame the bass?

Apr 28, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #702 of 46,527
BTW, does anyone know where to get the cheapest replacement cushion for HD650?

Apr 28, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #703 of 46,527
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the De-foamed one is more bright correct? does it tame the bass?

Yes the de-foamed one is much brighter, its to bright for my ears so that's why I covered the back of the driver with a tight stretched piece of nylon stocking and fastened it with a small tie-wrap.
It doesn't tame the bass, in the contrary, its deeper and warmer but still tight.

Apr 28, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #704 of 46,527
Lol, was gonna get some 800s then noticed they're $1200! Hope they become cheaper in de future.

May 1, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #705 of 46,527
i just bought the sennheiser hd 650 as well as the akg 702 and let them both burn in for more than 100 hours... i was running it thru a benchmark dac1 pre and i sent the akg back b/c the sennheiser sounded so much more natural... by the way i am new to this forum so hello... but i ended up sending bakc the benchmark dac1 pre and getting instead the benchmark dac1 hdr which just has the remote and also ordered a 15ft long equinox cable for the senns... has anyone used the senns w/ that set up b/c in all my research i found that the benchmark was a better dac than, say, the grace m902 but the grace was supposed to have a better headphone amp... anyone have a thought w/ whehter or not i made the right choice with giong with the benchmark dac1 hdr (b/c it hasent even shipped yet and i just mailed back the dac1 pre)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back