Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #6,901 of 46,518
Quote:

In that case, we'd just have to get Tanya to blow it up :D

on a totally unrelated note, I just got my http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wahps.html (black version) delivered and it's a perfect match for our beloved hd650. I can recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap and minimalistic headphone stand :)

command and conquer: red alert reference? lol

and those stands are awesome.  my old hd595's came with sennheiser's clamp style hanger for the headphones, so i'm using that for my 650's for now.  i do like that they save desk space, which i'm already limited to due to having three monitors, but i might have to make room. they look too awesome to ignore lol

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #6,902 of 46,518
Quote:

and those stands are awesome.  my old hd595's came with sennheiser's clamp style hanger for the headphones, so i'm using that for my 650's for now.  i do like that they save desk space, which i'm already limited to due to having three monitors, but i might have to make room. they look too awesome to ignore lol

Yeah, I love my Woo double stand.  Only trouble is I think I need a second one to fit all my primrary cans
tongue_smile.gif
  As it is the AKGs and HD650s stay in their box and the HE-400 and D5k sit on the stand since the 650s have such a luxurious box anyway, and the AKGs at least have a box.  The other two have nothing
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Some days you have to just sit back and appreciate what you have...Today it is the 650's plugged into my Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus connected via USB 2.0 to my Mac Mini with an Audioquest Forest USB cable. 

I just ripped the Los Lonely Boys "Sacred" CD into AIFF lossless at a 1411 bit rate. The sound is liquid, open and clean. Great spaciousness and the soundstage is nice and wide. Henry Garza's awesome guitar playing comes through with each note's tone clean and clear...

Simple set up and all in all....Life is Good!  
atsmile.gif

Yep, upgraditis ends somewhere.  Usually when you run out of money
biggrin.gif
And then you realize what you have is darned good!

Quote:
Who needs IT professors when we have members like IEMCrazy and Jellygoose?
tongue.gif
  Fascinating posts guys.  Keep up the great work.
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL, thanks
beerchug.gif

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #6,903 of 46,518
Quote:

Yeah, I love my Woo double stand.  Only trouble is I think I need a second one to fit all my primrary cans
tongue_smile.gif
  As it is the AKGs and HD650s stay in their box and the HE-400 and D5k sit on the stand since the 650s have such a luxurious box anyway, and the AKGs at least have a box.  The other two have nothing
smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif

LOL, thanks
beerchug.gif

Given all the amazing gear in all of these forums, running out of money seems inevitable.....Sometimes you have to refuel!  
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #6,904 of 46,518
Having listened exclusively to my HD650 for the last two years,I bought a HD600 two weeks ago...just pure interest to see how they compare.
At first I thought my brain gets pierced but I am used to it now and do like the clear treble which is missing with the HD650s.
But then again I do miss the lushness of the HD650....really torn!!!???
So I have bought a LCD2 and might sell both Sennheisers!
Problem solved...I hope!

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #6,905 of 46,518
Quote:
Having listened exclusively to my HD650 for the last two years,I bought a HD600 two weeks ago...just pure interest to see how they compare.
At first I thought my brain gets pierced but I am used to it now and do like the clear treble which is missing with the HD650s.
But then again I do miss the lushness of the HD650....really torn!!!???
So I have bought a LCD2 and might sell both Sennheisers!
Problem solved...I hope!

did you have one of the original hd650's? or the newer "second gen" ones?

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #6,906 of 46,518
The older one...still have it.

Jun 6, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #6,907 of 46,518
Ordered my Woo double stand (black) three weeks ago and still not shipped yet.  Will look amazing with the HD650 & HE400 side by side.
Sold my Sieveking Omega Zebrano Headphone Stand. It wasn't tall enough and actually bent the connections on both when setup for my head. Once I have the phones adjusted, dont want to play with them anymore.
Quote:

tongue_smile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif

LOL, thanks
beerchug.gif

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #6,908 of 46,518
Quote:

Were you writing the actual NIC firmware, or a higher level than that?  Any payload corruption should be handled at the NIC level, so it would be already taken care of by the time it got to any driver level interaction. 

Regardless, for audio purposes, even if we consider only dropped, collided, and out of order packets, and replace router/hub/switch with transmitter/receiver the issue still applies.  There is no re-transmit, there is no CRC, it's just fixed, smoothed, or discarded.  There was a thread with some measured outputs from S/PDIF coax (usually cleaner than USB.)  Those were some funky waveforms coming out at the other end, and I wouldn't want to bet anything important on the resut above/below threshold measurements for each bit being accurate
wink.gif

Oh and I meant UDP, not IP. Minor correction.

My task included implementing the TCP/IP model (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_protocol_suite) which includes the parts that has to do with fetching ethernet packets from the receive buffer and verifying their checksums. If there are any checks before that then I don't know about them. Of course there is a huge need for this kind of error checking, and there are bound to be errors when you have communication going around the whole world, under oceans, wireless and whatnot, but I just didn't see any noticeable packet corruption in the lab environment consisting of just a 1m cable, a computer and the server.

Do you have a link to that thread where someone measured coax? I would be interested in reading it :)

It's too bad we don't use a protocol that guarantees error-free transmission for audio purposes.. one would think that the <1ms delay it would induce wouldn't be very noticeable.

tongue_smile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

the double-stand (http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wahps2.html I assume you mean) does look nice.. 

red alert reference indeed :) 

Who needs IT professors when we have members like IEMCrazy and Jellygoose?
tongue.gif
  Fascinating posts guys.  Keep up the great work.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's only natural that this thread sooner or later would derail into a discussion about the TCP/IP-model and how and were the CRCs are checked ! :D 

Jun 8, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #6,910 of 46,518
back on rails: I fired up my lyr with my hd650's last night for the first time.  they sounded great.  i can only imagine it gets better as both the headphones and the amp burn in. (they're actually burning in at home right now)

i went from a fiio e7 to bifrost > lyr.  much bigger difference than i had imagined.  oh and i'm using a crappy $5 rca cable between dac/amp, and also between the soundcard to the dac as my coax spdif cable. going to order some better stuff from BJC today. 

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #6,911 of 46,518
Quote:
back on rails: I fired up my lyr with my hd650's last night for the first time.  they sounded great.  i can only imagine it gets better as both the headphones and the amp burn in. (they're actually burning in at home right now)

i went from a fiio e7 to bifrost > lyr.  much bigger difference than i had imagined.  oh and i'm using a crappy $5 rca cable between dac/amp, and also between the soundcard to the dac as my coax spdif cable. going to order some better stuff from BJC today. 

Glad to hear it! Coming from any SS to a hybrid or tube amp has an immediate sonic difference, but especially so from an e7!  I'd had my HD650's 5 years with various AVRs & a Headroom Micro, and was blown away at the very first note on Lyr.  And the good news is there's still improvements to be had with tubes, cables, etc.  I'm using a BJC 1505F (I needed the flexibility of the braided one) from Squeezebox to Bifrost, and an odd mix of BJC & Audioquest Y-cables from Bifrost to Lyr.  Not sure how much difference the interconnects make since I've always been using the good stuff.  The headphone cable on the other hand....if one believes it (always have to qualify that) makes a difference. 

For HD650 there's a burn-in certainly, there is with any driver (and it's even been measured on HD650.)  However, personally I don't think HD650 needs much burn-in at all.  15-20 hours ought to do it.  My drivers got blown a few months ago.  When the new drivers came in they sounded a little scratchy out of the box but still "mostly like my good old HD650."  Within a week or two I couldn't tell the difference between new and old anymore, so don't drive yourself nuts with the burn-in.   IMO most of the change happens in a few hours of use.  Tubes on the other hand....THOSE need burn-in.  Many will say that tubes don't really hit their stride for at least 100-200 hours.  Since tubes by nature are constantly changing that makes sense.  Personally I just plug 'em in and enjoy, at least after the first few hours.  Hearing them change (or not) is part of the charm
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #6,912 of 46,518
Quote:
Glad to hear it! Coming from any SS to a hybrid or tube amp has an immediate sonic difference, but especially so from an e7!  I'd had my HD650's 5 years with various AVRs & a Headroom Micro, and was blown away at the very first note on Lyr.  And the good news is there's still improvements to be had with tubes, cables, etc.  I'm using a BJC 1505F (I needed the flexibility of the braided one) from Squeezebox to Bifrost, and an odd mix of BJC & Audioquest Y-cables from Bifrost to Lyr.  Not sure how much difference the interconnects make since I've always been using the good stuff.  The headphone cable on the other hand....if one believes it (always have to qualify that) makes a difference. 

For HD650 there's a burn-in certainly, there is with any driver (and it's even been measured on HD650.)  However, personally I don't think HD650 needs much burn-in at all.  15-20 hours ought to do it.  My drivers got blown a few months ago.  When the new drivers came in they sounded a little scratchy out of the box but still "mostly like my good old HD650."  Within a week or two I couldn't tell the difference between new and old anymore, so don't drive yourself nuts with the burn-in.   IMO most of the change happens in a few hours of use.  Tubes on the other hand....THOSE need burn-in.  Many will say that tubes don't really hit their stride for at least 100-200 hours.  Since tubes by nature are constantly changing that makes sense.  Personally I just plug 'em in and enjoy, at least after the first few hours.  Hearing them change (or not) is part of the charm
wink.gif

I think I might swap the cables on the HD650, with the main reason being to get rid of the dangerously long cable.  (the long cable was the reason my HD595's died, I tripped on the cable so many times, causing the headphones to fly off the desk and slam onto the floor)

I have a large playlist of FLAC music on repeat.  I started it last night so I'll stop it when I get home and call it good.  I suppose I could just leave the Lyr on for a whole week to let the tubes get nice and settled.

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #6,913 of 46,518

For HD650 there's a burn-in certainly, there is with any driver (and it's even been measured on HD650.)  However, personally I don't think HD650 needs much burn-in at all.  15-20 hours ought to do it.  My drivers got blown a few months ago.  When the new drivers came in they sounded a little scratchy out of the box but still "mostly like my good old HD650."  Within a week or two I couldn't tell the difference between new and old anymore, so don't drive yourself nuts with the burn-in.   IMO most of the change happens in a few hours of use.  Tubes on the other hand....THOSE need burn-in.  Many will say that tubes don't really hit their stride for at least 100-200 hours.  Since tubes by nature are constantly changing that makes sense.  Personally I just plug 'em in and enjoy, at least after the first few hours.  Hearing them change (or not) is part of the charm :wink:

They got blown? How did that happen?

And could you give a source on the burn-in measurement of the HD650? Seems like and interesting read.

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #6,914 of 46,518
Quote:
They got blown? How did that happen?
And could you give a source on the burn-in measurement of the HD650? Seems like and interesting read.

The "B" word scares me.  I wish there was a way to limit the output of the Lyr without messing with the sound.  I keep imaging somehow cooking my 650's on accident.  I'll be careful with the volume knob so it shouldn't be an issue but it still worries me in the back of my mind.

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #6,915 of 46,518
Quote:

I think I might swap the cables on the HD650, with the main reason being to get rid of the dangerously long cable.  (the long cable was the reason my HD595's died, I tripped on the cable so many times, causing the headphones to fly off the desk and slam onto the floor)

I have a large playlist of FLAC music on repeat.  I started it last night so I'll stop it when I get home and call it good.  I suppose I could just leave the Lyr on for a whole week to let the tubes get nice and settled.

I got tired of the long HD650 cable as well and built a shorter 5' long cable for it to use at my desk.  Makes for less clutter and risk of rolling over the cable with my chair.  The other option is to coil up a portion of the cable near the plug and have that sit on your desk to shorten it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back