Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 31, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #4,726 of 46,564
Yes, the HD 600 are still available. We've not stopped production of either the HD 650 or HD 600. 

Quote:
If you are ready to pull the trigger on some 650s PM me. Did they stop producing the HD600s? Are they still sold?

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Oct 31, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #4,728 of 46,564

Hi Hennyo,

Last I spoke to the product management team, we're still producing both HD 600 and HD 650; hence my reply earlier.

Quote:
What?! Really?! When do they stop? HD 700 comes out mid-late January? ygpm.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Oct 31, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #4,729 of 46,564

Quote:

Hi Hennyo,

Last I spoke to the product management team, we're still producing both HD 600 and HD 650; hence my reply earlier.

Hmmm.... I highly doubt my source is wrong..

I noticed HD 600's are scarce on the market. The theory supported by my source is that about 4-6 weeks ago, the HD 600 line was refurnished with HD 700/750 equipment. I know you want to keep a tight lip, but just want to let you know I know what's coming. And I'm not paying the 'suggested' msrp of 700-800 (Or even the 900 that hinted towards) dollars.

HD 650 will be kept around till maybe late next year, but from my understanding, HD 600 has been cancelled. That same production line and worker resources have been allocated to HD 700.

I'm quite sure my source is good. Thank you for at least not denying the upcoming HD 700. :wink: Slated for right after Christmas.

From Head-fi to you:

This had better be reasonably priced or say goodbye to a large chunk of your fanbase. We're still suffering the repercussions your Hd 800 shenanigans and 1100-1500$ overnight price gouging have caused. Your products are good, but if you want us to respect you, provide products at a fair price. $1500 for a headphone is consumer rape.

This one should be a $550-700 phone just as HD 800 was designed to be. Otherwise say goodbye to a vast array of your fan base. Nobody has to buy your product if it's not competitive, and we're not going to tolerate 1K+ headphones forever. Nor 400$ overnight price gouging shenanigans. We can look elsewhere to Phillips, Dennon, JVC, Fischer, Fostex, and the list goes on and on. We do not promote price gouging. And at least now there's room for other manufacturers to keep you in line.

This had better be a $550-700 phone just HD 800 was designed to be. Otherwise say goodbye to a vast array of your fan base. We do not promote price gouging.

Oct 31, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #4,730 of 46,564
Why Hennyo, I'd say relax and let's wait and see what Sennheiser actually has planned line-up and price wise.  I'm sure your source is reliable, but it's no use getting riled about pricing just yet until we see and hear what the actual product is like.  Remember the HD600/580 was an industry benchmark for many years.  I'm sure the new line(if there is one) will have a similar effect.

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #4,731 of 46,564
I do wonder how many more people would buy HD800's if they had cost $500-$700. I doubt it costs Sennheiser half that to make it, and I bet pricing it at that range would bring in more than twice the number of sales.

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #4,732 of 46,564
Hopefully the new HD700's will give the LCD-2 some competition. Frankly, at this point if I chose to upgrade, the LCD-2 would be the next logical step.

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #4,733 of 46,564

Quote:
I do wonder how many more people would buy HD800's if they had cost $500-$700. I doubt it costs Sennheiser half that to make it, and I bet pricing it at that range would bring in more than twice the number of sales.

You also have to factor in things like research and development and the cost of materials.  Remember, the HD800 was a completely new design, built from the ground up.  Unlike the HD650 which was made from the existing HD600 platform.

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #4,734 of 46,564

Quote:
You also have to factor in things like research and development and the cost of materials.  Remember, the HD800 was a completely new design, built from the ground up.  Unlike the HD650 which was made from the existing HD600 platform.

And it only cost a little bit more than HD 600. Natural flow of the market revealed. -.-

Yo digital, what if I told you that I 100% sure just revealed Sennheiser's roadmap for the next year? Read it carefully, how would you react as a consumer? What would be the route to take?

Rosami has not responded.

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #4,735 of 46,564

Quote:
And it only cost a little bit more than HD 600. Natural flow of the market revealed. -.-

Yo digital, what if I told you that I 100% sure just revealed Sennheiser's roadmap for the next year? Read it carefully, how would you react as a consumer? What would be the route to take?

Rosami has not responded.

Perhaps because it's info that Rosmadi is not allowed to comment on, as the info your source has privied you to, was likely meant to be kept under wraps.  Also, MSRP and street pricing are usually quite different.  For example, the HD650 has a 649.99 dollar msrp, but it is found frequently brand-new for less than 400 dollars.  While the new line may be a bit expensive at first, street pricing usually goes down a bit after a while. 

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #4,736 of 46,564

Quote:
Perhaps because it's info that Rosmadi is not allowed to comment on, as the info your source has privied you to, was likely meant to be kept under wraps.  Also, MSRP and street pricing are usually quite different.  For example the HD650 has a 649.99 dollar msrp, but it is found frequently brand-new for less than 400 dollars.  While the new line may be a bit expensive at first, street pricing usually goes down a bit after a while. 

I don't think so. Sennheiser seeks to alleviate that problem. I would like a response that everyone can see out of Sennheiser.

If you can produce HD 600/650 for $280-330 e-tail and still be heavily profiteering. You can certainely produce the HD 700 for under or tipping out at no more than $500. If you offered the HD 800 at $700 or less that it was made for in the first place your market exposure would have gone up 4.75-6x. People would be far more happy with your company, you'd be making a better product, and you'd make more money. For not all that much more work taking into account the lines are already there.

Not to mention you would explode amongst those not already interested in the industry. You'd be far more famous and this mass exposure would spread like wildfire. Accruing you a nearly infinite fan base.

unlike the sickly HD 800 you market now.

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #4,737 of 46,564

Quote:
This had better be reasonably priced or say goodbye to a large chunk of your fanbase. We're still suffering the repercussions your Hd 800 shenanigans and 1100-1500$ overnight price gouging have caused. Your products are good, but if you want us to respect you, provide products at a fair price. $1500 for a headphone is consumer rape.

This one should be a $550-700 phone just as HD 800 was designed to be. Otherwise say goodbye to a vast array of your fan base. Nobody has to buy your product if it's not competitive, and we're not going to tolerate 1K+ headphones forever. Nor 400$ overnight price gouging shenanigans. We can look elsewhere to Phillips, Dennon, JVC, Fischer, Fostex, and the list goes on and on. We do not promote price gouging. And at least now there's room for other manufacturers to keep you in line.

This had better be a $550-700 phone just HD 800 was designed to be. Otherwise say goodbye to a vast array of your fan base. We do not promote price gouging.

The HD800 is priced where it's at for many reasons, most of them marketing related. Hopefully Sennheiser will tone down the marketing BS, (absurd over designed looks for one) and give us something that looks a little more normal, and costs less, but performs at the same level.

Having just bought the HD650 a couple months ago I won't be upgrading my headphones at the beginning of next year unless the price & performance are seriously compelling. At this point I'm still exploring all the HD650 can offer with improved amps, dacs, cables, etc. 

I honestly wonder what improvements Sennheiser will make over the HD650. I'd be surprised if a 7xx series headphone was substantially better. It will probably be something like the HD650 's basic sound signature and detail retrieval with the HD598 soundstage. 

Oct 31, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #4,738 of 46,564

Quote:
I wish you could hear my setup, I bet it sounds like your SRH940's. With the proper amp and cable the HD650's are absurdly good across the frequency range. This is not "hype" it's fact. Any amp can drive you IEM's it takes a proper design to make the HD650's sing

What's a proper cable?

Quote:
With this simple improvised diagnostics, using tools that are available to you.  I think you have hit the nail on the head.

I did the same experiment as you are doing now a while ago, using my K701 and HD650.  EQ'ing the top end out of the K701 to expose the mids and bass - it was not as resolving in this region compared to the HD650 - bass is in fact tighter and mids are more detailed.

I EQ some of the bass and mids away from the HD650 to expose the upper mids and treble and find that the HD650 was not as resolving as the K701 in this area.  The K701 is less grained, smoother and more detailed.

Which is why I don't necessarily believe in bright amps and dacs for the HD650 - it can reveal the undefined nature of the treble more easily, better to lay into its strengths and not its weakness - same with the K701.  Best not to try and pronounce a frequency area that the headphone is not good at.

I always believed that the HD650 has a very natural (and "neutral") treble balance.  The "veil" is not frequency response related.  Good source and amps will help with the HD650 "veil" - but this top end weakness will always be best solved with a headphone that doesn't have this weakness to start with (although they can have weaknesses in other areas where the HD650 is particularly strong).

Good to see new guys playing around with EQ, a good way to significantly boost your understanding of music.  People who refuse to experiment with EQ will always have a lesser understanding of frequency response related strengths and weaknesses.  A change in a single frequency band changes perception of all the frequency bands.

That's an interesting test you did,  SP.  
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I totally hear that. These silver cables I made have oodles of soundstage with the 650's & O2, it sounds "high end". Symphonic music is unbelievable, I feel like I'm standing in the conductors spot. It's a surprise that the O2 has increased the effect of using different cables. I am 110% sure I can identify the differences in these cables in a blind test now. It's good and bad though, now the silver cables really have that typical silver sound, a bit thin in the mids with perhaps too much treble esp. for pop music... 

Another big improvement I've noticed is dynamics. Which has been a love hate thing for me. It's caused me to hate most studio recorded music as absurdly loud and overly dynamic, like it's made up of gun shots. Studio recordings of bands are grotesque with their forward snare drums, I literally feel like my head is the mic pointed at the snare drum on some recordings. This is mostly with the silver cables, but the copper cables + O2 have improved dynamics too.

Silver cables have that typical silver sound....  Audio DiffMaker or it's not true.

Quote:
I tend to think the same thing for all the aftermarket cables I hear. It just feels like a bigger and more dynamic soundstag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back