Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #45,736 of 46,554
I put a cable on my 6XX's from audiophileninja.com and could hear the improvement.

Both 6XX and 58x gain a lot by changing the cable. I use a cheap silver plated 22£ cable and the difference for me is essential.

I thought this is because the cable from drop is crap. It is not. I used the drop cable from my 58X to my newly arrived 660s (because it is shorter) and it sounds fine. Because of the sound signature the 660s does NOT need a cable change so much. Also there is a balanced cable in the box for the 660s so I do not feel I need an upgrade on the contrary I need to tame 660s a little bit.

The 6XX and the 58X need absolutely a different cable due to their smooth and thick sound signature I personally believe.
I've always thought the HP cable thing was mostly snakeoil like speaker wire at short distances because we are talking about a few feet. I am inclined to give it a try if folks really think the balanced cable gains something in even a modest upgrade.

Mar 18, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #45,737 of 46,554
I've always thought the HP cable thing was mostly snakeoil like speaker wire at short distances because we are talking about a few feet. I am inclined to give it a try if folks really think the balanced cable gains something in even a modest upgrade.
Believe your ears …

Mar 18, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #45,738 of 46,554

The balanced route gives you more power - that's the reason I have them on several headphones I own. Otherwise it's up to you if you want to go down the "this €400 cable makes my 300€ headphones sound slightly better on certain songs, especially the G-string on the violins" route :D

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #45,739 of 46,554
I do not propose and suggest expensive cables. Maybe expensive cables play even better I do not know I will never buy them.

But a moderate priced silver plated cable 20-30 £ have a better synergy with these two phones. I have done it so many times and for me the change in sound is obvious and every time and with 2-3 different cables.

Of course the biggest benefit will come indirectly with the balanced connection which is implemented better in most of the devices in comparison to their unbalanced ones. And both these headphones scale better with more power.

But I have connected this balanced cable with an adapter to an unbalanced source and still I find it different. I cannot go back with my 6xx and 58x to the original cable which is absolutely fine and suits very well the 660s. Is matter of synergy in this case first of all.

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #45,742 of 46,554
I find that the few pure copper balanced cables I own--be it from Sendy Audio, Kbear or other very well made, but less expensive ones, in 4.4mm and 2.5mm terminations and the various dual-sided headphone and IEM ends --that they all have one thing in common: they're soft and light and, most importantly, almost entirely lack micro-phonics. Beyond any possible sound improvements inherent in the metal itself, I find that with all of these copper cables, their quietness and unobtrusiveness is their main tangible advantage. Plus the pure copper just looks great.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #45,746 of 46,554
Just ordered a pair of HD 6XXs as I've heard some good things about these. I own the 660s already, but I'm curious about the 300ohm vs the 150ohm and sonic differences between the 2. Some people say the 660s is darker than the 6XX, while others say the 6XX is darker. Not really sure who to believe. Soundstage is not important to me, I like a more intimate sound anyway.

Hopefully I'll like the 6XX. I'll let you know :)

Mar 18, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #45,747 of 46,554
Just ordered a pair of HD 6XXs as I've heard some good things about these. I own the 660s already, but I'm curious about the 300ohm vs the 150ohm and sonic differences between the 2. Some people say the 660s is darker than the 6XX, while others say the 6XX is darker. Not really sure who to believe. Soundstage is not important to me, I like a more intimate sound anyway.

Hopefully I'll like the 6XX. I'll let you know :)
The 6xx is darker and slower than the 660S.

Mar 18, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #45,748 of 46,554
Mar 18, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #45,750 of 46,554
I sometimes read the hifiman sundara is the best tuned headset there is....... I put it on sale, compared to the 650 it lacks: tonality, body, separation, depth and above all the magic of the mid-bass.
I heard a lot say the Sundara lacking a lot despite many saying it's one of the best tuned headphones in it's price range. The HD 6xx series and the R70x are the best tuned $300~ headphones I've come across.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back