Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #45,572 of 46,514
The essence - why do I keep straying 🤪?

Right on. I just bought (again) the V200. This time a fairly new (2021) Anniversary Edition unit. Really nice feel to the stepped volume potentiometer. Have they stopped production now?

Great pairing with my Sennheisers, will test with ZMFs too soon.

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #45,573 of 46,514
Dec 5, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #45,575 of 46,514
Right on. I just bought (again) the V200. This time a fairly new (2021) Anniversary Edition unit. Really nice feel to the stepped volume potentiometer. Have they stopped production now?

Great pairing with my Sennheisers, will test with ZMFs too soon.
I did not know that there was an AE version! I enjoy having the XLR connections in the back for higher voltage signals from the DAC XLR outs, even though the V200 front outs are SE. This definitely helps with the Beyer DT-880 (600 ohm) headphones. EDIT: V200 works great with the ZMFs!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #45,576 of 46,514
Where do you get a good aftermarket cable for 6xx?
Try Custom Cans UK (“jfunk.org”). Their ultra-low capacitance cables are excellent besides being attractive and flexible. [PS: Custom Cans UK have a wonderful (reversible) DIY mod kit for Senn HD-600/650/6XX. Many of us use it / rave about it. Scroll this thread.]
58A2674B-C00A-4501-B170-A1362C906910.jpeg

Dec 6, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #45,579 of 46,514
Where do you get a good aftermarket cable for 6xx?
How much do you want to spend? You’re not going to get any consensus on which ones sound the best; most of the guys around here buy cables based upon convenience and looks. The Custom Cans cables mentioned above are a good choice, as are the corpse cables - but they sound very different from one another. Less expensive options also abound - Periapt, Hart and Audiophile Ninja to name a few that are popular. And, of course, there’s the old standby Cardas cables, also mentioned above, which were the original replacement cables for Sennheiser. Many will tell you to just stick with the Sennheiser cables (and the oem HD650 cables really aren’t bad - idk if they are the same as what comes with the 6xx), and many more will tell you cables don’t matter at all. Without getting into that old, dead horse of an argument, it all depends on what you want to hear and how much you want to spend.

Welcome to head-fi!

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #45,580 of 46,514
The essence - why do I keep straying 🤪?
Too true. After a (continuing) tryst with a gorgeous pair of Audeze LCD-3, I came home to my CC modified 650 (and 600) because I felt they deserved a ride on my new amp (Mc MHA200) and damn these things are good! The Mc allows them to breathe even more than they did on the Bursons (which are wonderful amps remain in use in other parts of my home but not in the main listening room). But these 20+ year old cans, as modified, are a heck of a lot closer to the much pricier, much neeer cans than I am comfortable admitting. That doesn’t mean I think they sound the same, they clearly do not, and I’m fortunate to be able to own both, but I also don’t feel in any way like I’m ‘slumming it’ with the Senns. Quite to the contrary, these headphones once again demonstrate beyond cavil the greatness of the original design, and the reasons for its well-deserved longevity. If anything, they make me question (once again), do I really need anything else? Want, of course, I want to try everything, but IMHO one could easily live happily ever after with the Senns and a good amp not miss out on a blessed thing.

YMMV, just my $.03, etc., ad nauseum.

Dec 11, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #45,581 of 46,514
THANKS A LOT, YOU BUNCH OF TEMPTERS AND LUMMOXES! I HAVEN'T MADE ANY SORT OF HEADPHONE PURCHASE IN AGES (AGES, I TELL YOU!) AND NOW, BECAUSE OF ALL YOUR OOHING AND AAHING ABOUT THE CUSTOM CANS MOD, I JUST HHHAAADDD TO GO AND BREAK MY RUN OF ABSTINENCE!

This better be good.
So, I took out the foam under the ear pads at the same time as doing the Custom Cans mod, so I'm not really sure what's happening from which mod... I listened to the HD 650 without the foam for a few minutes before installing the donut and thought they sounded noticably brighter than they did stock.
I'm honestly not noticing that much difference in the bass. Tighter? Cleaner? Punchier? Maybe I don't know what people mean by those things (I don't really), but I'm not hearing it. Or at least I'm not hearing so much that it sounds like an obvious change to me.

I've always thought the HD 650's one weakness is that it sounds too polite, like it'll make even the grittiest rock sound like it's being played by nice little boys and girls. Maybe this is what people mean when they talk about the "veil?" Now I don't hear that problem. It's got more energy in the treble region, so that distorted guitars and bass sound gritty and mean, the way I think they should. It's definitely not the relaxed sound that I associate with the HD 650, though, for me, it stops just short of being a little too bright and fatiguing.
To be honest, if I'd known that removing the foam would also remove the veil, I probably would never have been tempted to buy the DT 1990.

This is all assuming that it is the foam-delete that's causing the changes. I'm not sure that it's not the fact that it's now a month between October and May when my ears are perpetually congested and everything sounds brighter to me. Or the fact that I'm really paying attention to the treble, so it just seems brighter. Or that it's four days after the Cold Moon. Or that I'm going to get a migraine today.
I'll have to put the headphones back to stock and listen again, then do one mod at a time.

Dec 11, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #45,584 of 46,514
I've always thought the HD 650's one weakness is that it sounds too polite, like it'll make even the grittiest rock sound like it's being played by nice little boys and girls. Maybe this is what people mean when they talk about the "veil?" Now I don't hear that problem. It's got more energy in the treble region, so that distorted guitars and bass sound gritty and mean, the way I think they should.

650 were designed to be smooth and relaxed listen, If they produced the sound of electric guitar 100% accurately you'd be fatigued after 20 minutes. I don't see why people want to change the sound of them so much because to me they're perfect at what they were made to do, let you enjoy music for hours.

If you want some more aggression and bite for rock music then Grado's have always been recommended for that genre.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #45,585 of 46,514
I really want that amplifier for my 650, must resist...

The HD6XX is still one of the best headphones on the market in 2022, better than a lot of the hyped-up kilobuck stuff. The catch is that you won't get the most out of it without a good amplifier. The HD6XX is fast and clean on the Quicksilver, it almost sounds like an electrostat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back