Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 15, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #45,496 of 46,565
Please remember no one here has the same sonic preferences as you. I don't believe i read your use case. Regardless, Just take everything you read here with a grain of salt and look at each recommendation as another data point.

I wish I had given myself this same advice 20 years ago. Would have saved a lot of money..... LOL

Good luck!

Leo
Stupid is as stupid does 😂

Nov 15, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #45,500 of 46,565
Do you still have the inner (spider-web cage) foam in? If so, another sonic frontier awaits discovery!! 😜😵🥲

Nov 15, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #45,502 of 46,565
Yes it's still in. Sounds awesome. Can you link where you purchased what you're using to cover the driver in the cups?

And do you like the CC mod better w the 6xx or 600?
• The mesh netting that I use to replace the earside foam in both HD600 and HD6XX was bought at Michael’s - an arts & crafts store. I did not look for it online; I found it in the store itself - in the fabric area.
• I like the CC mod in both HD600 and HD6XX. To me, both are improved with respect to: bass clarity, bass extension, midrange solidity, treble purity, soundstage stability.🤷🏻‍♂️

Nov 15, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #45,503 of 46,565
• The mesh netting that I use to replace the earside foam in both HD600 and HD6XX was bought at Michael’s - an arts & crafts store. I did not look for it online; I found it in the store itself - in the fabric area.
• I like the CC mod in both HD600 and HD6XX. To me, both are improved with respect to: bass clarity, bass extension, midrange solidity, treble purity, soundstage stability.🤷🏻‍♂️

Thanks for the tip regarding the mesh netting, will look for one over the weekend.

Now waiting for the 600 to go on sale again 😅 (I want to keep my marble 600 in stock form) 😅

Nov 16, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #45,504 of 46,565
Found the courage to take out the stock outer foam and go 100% CC mod. Inserted the small foams in the outer driver hole and holy crap.. The CC modded 650 is performing better than the stock 600...with classical? Unbelievable result.
Which foam of them?

Nov 16, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #45,507 of 46,565
And you are saying that it is a master at classical music?
Very tempted to try it myself.

CC modded 650 was doing better than a 600 w no CC mod w classical last night. It just sounded better than the 600 in multiple areas, simply fantastic. Thing that's confusing to me is how can a mod like this make the 650 sound faster? I don't understand this. CC modded 650 is clearer than the unmodified 600 and more technical sounding in the staging elements, but it already staged/imaged better than the 600 in stock form, it was just slower. Now it's caught up speed wise. It may still be a hair slower than the 600, or perhaps even w it. It's hard to quantify this. It's so weird. I couldn't believe my ears last night. Going to get some more listening in before work. Another note - the micro details are way more evident now that the 650 is sounding clearer w this mod. When i was testing it against the unmodified 600 I couldn't help but want to take off the 600 and put back on 650. 650 is just more resolving/transparent now. Idk if CC modded 650 is a master yet, but def a new hotter girl i wanted to spend time w over the old best girl for classical ha. Time will tell.

Nov 16, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #45,508 of 46,565
CC modded 650 was doing better than a 600 w no CC mod w classical last night. It just sounded better than the 600 in multiple areas, simply fantastic. Thing that's confusing to me is how can a mod like this make the 650 sound faster? I don't understand this. CC modded 650 is clearer than the unmodified 600 and more technical sounding in the staging elements, but it already staged/imaged better than the 600 in stock form, it was just slower. Now it's caught up speed wise. It may still be a hair slower than the 600, or perhaps even w it. It's hard to quantify this. It's so weird. I couldn't believe my ears last night. Going to get some more listening in before work. Another note - the micro details are way more evident now that the 650 is sounding clearer w this mod. When i was testing it against the unmodified 600 I couldn't help but want to take off the 600 and put back on 650. 650 is just more resolving/transparent now. Idk if CC modded 650 is a master yet, but def a new hotter girl i wanted to spend time w over the old best girl for classical ha. Time will tell.
Thank you for detailed presentation of your listening impressions.
Yes, I don't know what is really happening but I was shocked as well when I installed the weight mod.
Couldn't believe the improvement in bass technicalities.
Now I am tempted to install the foam.

Nov 16, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #45,509 of 46,565
CC modded 650 was doing better than a 600 w no CC mod w classical last night. It just sounded better than the 600 in multiple areas, simply fantastic. Thing that's confusing to me is how can a mod like this make the 650 sound faster?*** I don't understand this. CC modded 650 is clearer than the unmodified 600 and more technical sounding in the staging elements, but it already staged/imaged better than the 600 in stock form, it was just slower. Now it's caught up speed wise. It may still be a hair slower than the 600, or perhaps even w it. It's hard to quantify this. It's so weird. I couldn't believe my ears last night. Going to get some more listening in before work. Another note - the micro details are way more evident now that the 650 is sounding clearer w this mod. When i was testing it against the unmodified 600 I couldn't help but want to take off the 600 and put back on 650. 650 is just more resolving/transparent now. Idk if CC modded 650 is a master yet, but def a new hotter girl i wanted to spend time w over the old best girl for classical ha. Time will tell.
*** My thought on this: because the cnc backweight attaches quite firmly to the ‘spider-web’ cage, the effective mass and rigidity of the cage are increased. The cage becomes less prone to vibration, thus the speaker / driver can move in a more linear, pistonic fashion. Sound is produced by the speaker / driver only - without spurious vibrational contribution from the cage. Ergo: lower distortion, ‘faster’ transients. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #45,510 of 46,565
Got my Custom Cans mod in the mail today. Fast shipping, wonderful and efficient packaging.

As a side note of how much it sucks to buy from the UK these days, the bloody import fees bring the total to €60. €38 for the kit itself converted to euros with shipping, €6 VAT (reasonable), and a €15 processing fee for good measure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back