Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #42,706 of 46,514
Honestly, the HD 650 sounds it's best when it's positioned a certain way on your head. Not too much down, and not too much up your ears vertically, and the same thing with the cups horizontally. That's when you'll hear the most details, best timbre and it'll be very smooth.

Position them a bit off, and they'll start to sound more shouting very quickly.

Jul 7, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #42,710 of 46,514
I love my 650s. I use them strictly for gaming with a denon atmos receiver and they're superb.

I have a Denon receiver myself. The X1500H. Do you think it does well to drive headphones? Is there good detail, instrument separation and so on compared to a dedicated headphone amp?

Jul 7, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #42,711 of 46,514
I have a Denon receiver myself. The X1500H. Do you think it does well to drive headphones? Is there good detail, instrument separation and so on compared to a dedicated headphone amp?
I have the denon 2 something, like 2400X atmos. It's a couple of years old, and I have a more powerful model from a few years before that. They drive all of my headphones for games and movies exceptionally well. I watched apocalypse now the other night with the denon and 800 and it sounded incredible. I would definitely recommend the denon with headphones. I think they are as good as a dedicated can amp.

Jul 8, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #42,712 of 46,514
It really depends on the electronics of your receiver, if you look up the specs of your receiver you can hopefully find info on its headphone output but for the most parts info on the headphone output is lacking/missing most of the time. As an example my Sony ES receiver headphone output works only as a pure/direct mode since there is no DSP effects on the output, its like a stand alone headphone amp while my other receiver, an older Sony non-ES, the DSP effect is piped to the headphone jack so I can get a bit of surround sound effect with headphones.
FWIW my HD650 does sound quite good out of the ES receiver but like crap on the non-ES receiver, but in the end I still like the HD650/6XX better out of my slightly modified BH Crack.

Jul 8, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #42,713 of 46,514
It really depends on the electronics of your receiver, if you look up the specs of your receiver you can hopefully find info on its headphone output but for the most parts info on the headphone output is lacking/missing most of the time. As an example my Sony ES receiver headphone output works only as a pure/direct mode since there is no DSP effects on the output, its like a stand alone headphone amp while my other receiver, an older Sony non-ES, the DSP effect is piped to the headphone jack so I can get a bit of surround sound effect with headphones.
FWIW my HD650 does sound quite good out of the ES receiver but like crap on the non-ES receiver, but in the end I still like the HD650/6XX better out of my slightly modified BH Crack.
Yeah, you're right, I use it strictly with the pure direct mode, and it sounds fantastic.

Jul 8, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #42,715 of 46,514
You are clearly not paying attention to what I'm saying, or just willfully ignoring it.

Focal had some initial issues with their drivers on the first few batches of headphones on the market. They released a statement on this and it's long been dealt with. The build quality I mentioned wasn't in reference to the internal design of the headphones or driver's. It was in reference to the feel, materials used, and appearance of the Elear.

So I guess ultimately it doesn't matter if you "highly doubt" my statement. It's still true, in my opinion. The 650 in comparison looks and feels like a toy. Benz vs Chevrolet.

lol....build quality definitely doesn't mean more metal to me...it must include whether the headphone can last long without problems

btw, I think you're in a wrong thread to promote your Elear...:sunglasses:

Jul 8, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #42,716 of 46,514
Honestly, the HD 650 sounds it's best when it's positioned a certain way on your head. Not too much down, and not too much up your ears vertically, and the same thing with the cups horizontally. That's when you'll hear the most details, best timbre and it'll be very smooth.

Position them a bit off, and they'll start to sound more shouting very quickly.

interesting...i have never paid too much attention to the position

Jul 9, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #42,718 of 46,514
lol....build quality definitely doesn't mean more metal to me...it must include whether the headphone can last long without problems

btw, I think you're in a wrong thread to promote your Elear...:sunglasses:

I personally don't care what it means to you. I'll write my reviews and share my impressions and you can do the same.

Since this definitely is not the right place to discuss the Elear any further...maybe you can share when you offer impressions how you plan to include the longevity/life of a headphone driver into your impressions of quality.

How exactly do you know ahead of time how long a headphone is going to last without problems? Just curious.

Jul 9, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #42,719 of 46,514
I personally don't care what it means to you. I'll write my reviews and share my impressions and you can do the same.

Since this definitely is not the right place to discuss the Elear any further...maybe you can share when you offer impressions how you plan to include the longevity/life of a headphone driver into your impressions of quality.

How exactly do you know ahead of time how long a headphone is going to last without problems? Just curious.

lol...that's why I only buy products with proven track records

Users who are viewing this thread

Back