Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #40,816 of 46,525
Someone must have already pointed this out, but I'm looking to buy the HD650/6xx and I find it quite ironic that many people are selling the Massdrop version for more than $200, close to the same price as a used HD650. It's more like Masshike at this point, though I find that prices on head fi are much more reasonable than elsewhere online.
to be honest I've seen at least 4 HD6XX on the F/S forums were the sellers were asking what they paid (199.99) + the shipping cost, and possibly the PayPal fees (I cant't recall) so that's very fair if tyou don't want to wait so long (like I am). Beside, I don't believe you're allowed to sell above retail on the F/S forums within 1yrs of the purchase date, but I could be wrong. Also, any member who tries to make a profit this way from another member should be ashamed of themselves. If they're that desperate then they should find another means to make a profit, or take it to eBay.

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #40,817 of 46,525
I noticed indeed that prices in these forums are, in most cases, reasonable and I think that probably has to do with the regulations on this site, as you mention. My impression about the price hike was based on Ebay listings and other places, where people are free to make as big a profit as they like, shamelessly :)

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #40,818 of 46,525
I noticed indeed that prices in these forums are, in most cases, reasonable and I think that probably has to do with the regulations on this site, as you mention. My impression about the price hike was based on Ebay listings and other places, where people are free to make as big a profit as they like, shamelessly :)
Oh, I didn't realize you meant elsewhere, I thought you meant H-F. :beerchug:

Feb 23, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #40,819 of 46,525

Yeah, I've found that if anything, here on Head-Fi, things often go for substantially cheaper than the eBay prices, although it's a smaller market so you just have to pay attention consistently to get a really good deal.

Feb 24, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #40,820 of 46,525
In an effort to avoid the wait for HD6XX, I found a vendor who was selling open box HD650's for 249USD. Definitely a good deal compared with the going rate for new on Amazon. Probably a used set would be cheaper on the Head-Fi forums, but that requires being quick to respond to a posting (they don't last long! :)

Feb 24, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #40,821 of 46,525
Topping NX5 or Fiio A5 portable amps work for me
Thanks, HungryPanda for the thought. I'm going to give the Topping NX4 DSD a try. Not too much in the way of reviews on this dac/amp, but the specs looks promising and people seem to like the NX4 with HD650.

Feb 24, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #40,822 of 46,525
In an effort to avoid the wait for HD6XX, I found a vendor who was selling open box HD650's for 249USD. Definitely a good deal compared with the going rate for new on Amazon. Probably a used set would be cheaper on the Head-Fi forums, but that requires being quick to respond to a posting (they don't last long! :)
My feelings exactly!, hoping to win an auction for a pair of new unused 6XX, hopefully by this time tomorrow I'll be the proud owner!.

Feb 24, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #40,824 of 46,525

Congratulations on your new HD650. IMHO you'd be hard press to find a pair in as good a shape (they're new) for that price, even on Head-fi classifieds. That's a bargain for such a quality headphone. Pat yourself on the back for this one.:thumbsup:

Feb 25, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #40,825 of 46,525
What does veiled even mean?
Rolled off treble :)

Well, hello all. I just finished my second crack (sold one a year ago). I got me an HD600 and an HD6xx to play with the Crack. Also have a DT770/250 pro.

I used to be in the HD650=veiled camp, but the HD6xx is not the same as the 650 (to me), at least the older HD650's I've heard. I haven't modded the 6xx yet (I will probably do the KISS mod). Well, for now, I'm liking the HD600 better. For whatever reason, I find the vocals on the 6xx to be laid back, actually relatively lower volume than with the 600- recessed is the word I’m looking for. Maybe I could eq it back, but why bother.

At any rate, there was a time I didn't like the HD6x0 line, but i've come around. Here's my current set up (such a mess):

9937177_l.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #40,826 of 46,525
Congratulations on your new HD650. IMHO you'd be hard press to find a pair in as good a shape (they're new) for that price, even on Head-fi classifieds. That's a bargain for such a quality headphone. Pat yourself on the back for this one.:thumbsup:
I agree sir! I still have my PS1000E, but since I bought my HD650 it gets all of my head time. It makes me happy. What a great headphone.

Feb 25, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #40,828 of 46,525
Thanks! I'm happily back in the Senn camp after a long hiatus. About 12 years ago my first decent headphone was HD497. Then Grado, Beyer, AKG ... now full circle :)

Feb 25, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #40,829 of 46,525
@Allanmarcus, have you tried different power tubes in the Crack? like TS5998 or WE421A family since they lower the output impedance from the 6080 family and is a better match for 250/300 ohm headphones like the HD600/6XX IMO.
Nope , I have not. If you are referring to how the 6xx vocals sound a little recessed to me, I don’t think it’s the output tube, or the same thing would happen on the 600anf the DT770/250. Plus the 6xx recessed vocals are there when I use the BW2ss amp. It’s the headphones.

Just a little update: when I say recessed, I'm not saying I it's a lot; it's just a little recessed compared to the HD600. The 6xx still sounds great. I think because the bass region is more prominent on the 6xx, the mids sounds a little recessed compared to the 600. The more listening I do, that's what I think I'm hearing. No veil or anything; just a "thinker" sound from the 6xx. I'm liking it.

Will I give up the Utopia? Nope :) We'll see what happens after I make the Mainline. Maybe then.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #40,830 of 46,525
Rolled off treble :)

Well, hello all. I just finished my second crack (sold one a year ago). I got me an HD600 and an HD6xx to play with the Crack. Also have a DT770/250 pro.

I used to be in the HD650=veiled camp, but the HD6xx is not the same as the 650 (to me), at least the older HD650's I've heard. I haven't modded the 6xx yet (I will probably do the KISS mod). Well, for now, I'm liking the HD600 better. For whatever reason, I find the vocals on the 6xx to be laid back, actually relatively lower volume than with the 600- recessed is the word I’m looking for. Maybe I could eq it back, but why bother.

At any rate, there was a time I didn't like the HD6x0 line, but i've come around. Here's my current set up (such a mess):

9937177_l.jpg
Nice collection of gear you have there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back