Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 16, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #37,621 of 46,565
  I use them with the Geek Out 450, with high quality files.

People also talk about a boosted bass, I don't hear that to be honest. To my ears, the bass is on the lighter side of neutral.

While I never tried the Geek Out 450, it might be sound signature of it that makes the bass seem on the lighter side and your perception of the upper mids and highs being harsh.  Do you have any other amp that you can try with the HD-650?  Also is it a new one or used?  If used then some have said the pads will change the sound.

Feb 17, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #37,623 of 46,565
  While I never tried the Geek Out 450, it might be sound signature of it that makes the bass seem on the lighter side and your perception of the upper mids and highs being harsh.  Do you have any other amp that you can try with the HD-650?  Also is it a new one or used?  If used then some have said the pads will change the sound.

No, I have no other amp to try, except the Hifimediy Sabre ES9023 dac (which is a worse version of the Geek Out chip)

I used them with the 3.5 mm of my laptop, and to be honest they sounded VERY good. The Geek Out gave them more clarity, details and separation, but it's DEFINITELY not a huge difference, rather a small one.

The uppermids/highs are not harsh, they're just not as greatly smooth as I've read them to be. 

I bought it used, but the owner had just a few hours on them.

But my biggest concern right is the vocals, which seem to be a bit too weak in presence, for my taste,

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #37,625 of 46,565
  No, I have no other amp to try, except the Hifimediy Sabre ES9023 dac (which is a worse version of the Geek Out chip)

I used them with the 3.5 mm of my laptop, and to be honest they sounded VERY good. The Geek Out gave them more clarity, details and separation, but it's DEFINITELY not a huge difference, rather a small one.

The uppermids/highs are not harsh, they're just not as greatly smooth as I've read them to be. 

I bought it used, but the owner had just a few hours on them.

But my biggest concern right is the vocals, which seem to be a bit too weak in presence, for my taste,

IIRC you had a HE-400i before so I think you are still not used to the HD-650 which does sound a little recessed in the mids compared to the HE-400i with some genres and I think this might be perceived as the weakness in the vocals.  I think the HD-650 sounds good even from my cheap Fiio X3ii but it does sound better from my Xonar DG sound card and it does get better still on my BH Crack.

I would not take the owners word that they only have a few hours on them, most will usually put 50+ hours within a week with most new headphones and for some headphones it might even get to 100+ in a week.  Also, they might have used a omega style headphone stand which can compress the ear pads while not in use.

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #37,630 of 46,565
No sadly DAC's + Amps don't work like that. If you want boosted vocals you are best looking at at something like AD1000X they have a more coloured sound with boosted upper mids. 

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #37,631 of 46,565
  No sadly DAC's + Amps don't work like that. If you want boosted vocals you are best looking at at something like AD1000X they have a more coloured sound with boosted upper mids. 

Ironically, I used to own the AD1000x ;p.

I sold them because I found them to be lacking bass.

But I'm wondering in what way the sound will improve with the HD 650 when buying a higher end amp/DAC?

Because to be quite honest, I didn't notice that big of an improvement from my onboard soundcard and the GO 450 with the HD 650.

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #37,632 of 46,565
  What are you using with them?

But I'm wondering in what way the sound will improve with the HD 650 when buying a higher end amp/DAC?

Because to be quite honest, I didn't notice that big of an improvement from my onboard soundcard and the GO 450 with the HD 650.

I came from T50rp and wasn't impressed. I like forward vocals too with good extension at both the ends. I went back to the fostex. T50rp does very thing better for me. 

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #37,633 of 46,565

Resolution, micro detail, impact,dynamics. I don't really think the GO450 is very good personally. With the HD650 I'd personally aim as high as you can go. A Modi Multibit + Vali 2 is a good way to go on a budget. 

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #37,634 of 46,565

For me the BH Crack is really good with the HD-650 but I've heard it with better amps and the HD-650 will scale with better gear.  I've got a friend who likes the HD-650 as his end game headphone, amp is a EC ZDS along with a MHDT Pagoda DAC.  Best amp I've heard with the HD-650 is a Liquid Glass, yes its better than the BH Crack but the differences is not a night & day difference like you would think based on price.

You might want to try Sonar Works or if you get a Garage 1217 amp they make a module that does the same thing as sonar works but in hardware versus software.

Feb 17, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #37,635 of 46,565
I'm using them unamped straight from the onboard of my laptop. And to be really honest, I like the sound more this way.

Yes, the sound with the Geek Out is ''technically'' better (better imaging, separation, clarity, timbre) but it doesn't bother me with the onboard card, and the onboard has more forward sounding vocals in comparison to the GO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back