Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #37,246 of 46,564
Quote:
I got myself a pair of HD650, they are on the way. I just wanted to read something about them here and then I got scared... 2483 pages and 37233 posts. ............. I am a total noob with HiFi and now I wonder What I got myself into.

Any advice?

Seeing the hd600/650s have been discussed on head-fi since for ever.......probably the most honest post I've seen on head-fi. : )

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #37,247 of 46,564
I got myself a pair of HD650, they are on the way. I just wanted to read something about them here and then I got scared... 2483 pages and 37233 posts. I also got a Darkvoice 336i and wanted to read about tubes and how tuberolling works. I am a total noob with HiFi and now I wonder What I got myself into.

I managed to get a basic understanding of the tube rolling thing on de DV based on the posts here.

Now I wonder were to start with the HD650.

Any advice?

It's okay, just start from right now and over the next month or two, every topic that has been discussed will be discussed again. Cables, amps, dacs, source, comparisons of HD650s to *insert popular underdog here*... It's like a carousel; everything comes back around again.

Yes to this, itd a popular headphone, just sit back, relax and enjoy with what you have to power them while reading about it

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #37,248 of 46,564
Ok. Please excuse the vagueness in this post. I'm trying to search the best sound for me. One of the headphones I am looking at is the B&W P7 wireless. But, I have only heard the wired version at the local BB store. People in this forum swear that the new wireless P7 sounds way better than the previous wired one in both wired and wireless modes. So, for me pretty much the wireless is an unknown quantity.
And the other headphone I have always been thinking about is the HD650. From what I have read, the HD650 has a completely different sound signature. Unfortunately, I can't hear the HD650 any where too.
The other concern I have is, P7 by itself is sufficient. But, for the HD650, it looks like it is pretty much useless without an amp. So, there are portable issues for me when listening from my iPhone on the go. (Not to mention the Bluetooth freedom)
Is a sub $100 amp good enough for the HD650?
Any insights on this will be of great help.
Thanks.

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #37,250 of 46,564
  You would not want to use HD650 on the go though.

Seriously. It's not that delicate a can, but it will get cosmetically beat up if you carry it with you on the go. Not to mention you will hear all the noise around you (and others your music). 

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #37,251 of 46,564
  Seriously. It's not that delicate a can, but it will get cosmetically beat up if you carry it with you on the go. Not to mention you will hear all the noise around you (and others your music). 

And that is the problem. Of course I don't worry about the build quality, but more about distracting people with your music in public etc.
Plus mine is already cosmectically beaten anyway 
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #37,252 of 46,564
Dry and etched sound that does not pair well with high Z headphones.  I would recommend the O2 for warm, low Z dynamics and planars.  Though even then it is a stretch with Schiit basically dominating the budget market right now, and rightfully so.

Thanks for the advice. I currently have a Dragonfly 1.2, would I be better off just getting an amp to pair up with the Dragonfly such as the Vali 2 or Little Dot or would I get better results with just the Fulla 2? I must add I have limited experience with Dacs and amps and none at all with tube amps but I hear the Vali 2 and HD650 are great together

IMHO, to make the right choice, there are three things that you should consider: set you budget and dont exceed it; consider the technical characteristics of the remaining potential candidates and their compatibility with the HD650 (nice one in the website of iFi audio http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/headphone-section/ ); and if possible try the DAC amps and believe only to your own ears.
I have the Vali 2 and the O2 and to my hears both work well with the Senns, just different sound characteristics: more neutral and faster to resolve the transients for the O2, and more tubey (distorted) for the Vali2, with the option to roll the tubes and change the sound signature.
I haven't heard the Fulla2 which, by the way includes also the DAC.
Then you also have to consider the usage: portable or desktop?

Anyhow, if I were on you, I would go for incremental steps and keep the Dragonfly as a DAC and put all the money in an amp only. Next step is to buy a DAC better than the Dragonfly and the one in the Fulla in terms of performance and flexibility (inputs). Last step is to add the iFi-Audio iPurifier (USB or SPDIF).as so far this has been the most relevant improvement that I could have done on all of my set-ups. It worked with all my DAC's including the Burson Conductor..
But this is just my very personal and arguable opinion, and remember: the final judge are your ears.

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #37,253 of 46,564
I just got the HD650s for 275, but I just read this and am considering returning them for beats...

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Sennheiser-HD-650-Vs-Beats-by-Dre-Pro-/10000000177710563/g.html

"All in all, the Beats by Dr. Dre Beats by Dre Pro headphones have the upper hand and are a great bet for travel, portable audio, and loud volume. The Beats by Dre Pros have noise cancelling, allowing you to filter more outside noise. Furthermore, their higher sensitivity lets you listen at increased volume levels. Plus, you can get better battery-life from your portable devices thanks to their lower impedance."

deadhorse.gif

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #37,255 of 46,564
Jan 8, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #37,258 of 46,564
  I just got the HD650s for 275, but I just read this and am considering returning them for beats...

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Sennheiser-HD-650-Vs-Beats-by-Dre-Pro-/10000000177710563/g.html

deadhorse.gif

Did you have a specific question or want an alternate opinion from the community here, or did you just feel like advertising a specific headphone's advantages over the 650, which are open back, not intended for portable use, and intended for use in quiet environments?

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #37,259 of 46,564

Did you have a specific question or want an alternate opinion from the community here, or did you just feel like advertising a specific headphone's advantages over the 650, which are open back, not intended for portable use, and intended for use in quiet environments?

I think it was posted in humor

For travel, portable audio, and loud volume go \Beats, for sound quality, HD650

You are joking right? if you want portable, loud volume I would suggest V-Moda
tongue.gif
, not the best but the XS is really compact and very efficient. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back