Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #35,401 of 46,564

I've already done the dynamat and 'spider removal' mod for my HD 650's as well as some additional custom fixes - these seem to have eliminated the slight mid-bass hump, added a touch of treble and tightened up the bass by a touch also, but IMO still severely lacking in the clarity & dynamics / snappyness. I don't want to try the coin hole mod due to my tinnitus, and doubt that would do anything for the dynamics either.
Alternately I tried an HD 600 on my same amp (Elise tube amp), and the clarity & snappyness were in a whole other league, sounding shockingly superior to me in those regards. And though it wasn't the most thorough A/B job, the soundstage seemed a bit bigger too. I'm guessing that HD 600 must've had extra extended burn-in to reach those heights.

How would one presume the HD 650 driver to be technically better?

Are you using HD "800 S" or the original "800's"? Actually I would put the overall sound sig. of the HD 600 & 800 as very similar, but the 800 with a much larger soundstage. HD 650's are much darker (more bass emphasis) and less detailed than the other two.

You need to due the quarter or nickel mod which ever size you prefer and the shelf liner mod.  That transforms dynamics and clarity the most of anything I have done and then of course the port mods that I previously mention on the magnet body!   All my grille and foam mods are tunning issues primarily althought they do make differences.  Dynamics on mine are quite impressive!  Of
course I run a DAC and an an amp that I think are pretty over the top in that regard as well which of course helps!

Happy Listening

Sep 28, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #35,403 of 46,564
Hi all, just wondering if anyone's had any experience using the HD650 with either Sony UDA-1 or Sony PHA-3? Thanx!

I have the UDA-1. I kept it more for the convenience of a unit with a USB DAC and a motorized pot with remote -- that also doubles as a speaker amp . Soundwise, it gets the HD650s plenty loud. No overt colorations or defects in the sound as far as I can tell from the headphone out. 

Sep 28, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #35,404 of 46,564
I contacted Sennheiser Canada to find out how much a balanced cable for the HD650 costs. They directed me to my local Long & McQuade. They said $299 plus tax. That seems exorbitant or is that a fair price?

I think their balanced cable is over priced. But for Canadians you don't have much choice. If you are willing to wait I ordered one from Impact Audio Cables. Good prices, good service.

Sep 28, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #35,405 of 46,564
Just got my HD650s 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Loving them so far.

Sep 28, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #35,409 of 46,564
I contacted Sennheiser Canada to find out how much a balanced cable for the HD650 costs. They directed me to my local Long & McQuade. They said $299 plus tax. That seems exorbitant or is that a fair price?

It's a ridiculous price. Anyone who's tempted needs to look at this bridge I have for sale.

Sep 28, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #35,410 of 46,564
Looking for a sound quality test album? Two sleeps until Yellos' new Toy is released.

Sep 28, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #35,411 of 46,564

You could build your own cable for $35

https://www.amazon.ca/Genuine-Replacement-Cable-SENNHEISER-Headphones/dp/B0028PGXRE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475099752&sr=8-1&keywords=hd650+cable

+

http://www.avshop.ca/wire-amp-cable/connectors/4-pin-xlr/neutrik-nc4mxx-4-pin-xlr-male-connector  

Sep 28, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #35,412 of 46,564

You could build your own cable for $35

https://www.amazon.ca/Genuine-Replacement-Cable-SENNHEISER-Headphones/dp/B0028PGXRE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475099752&sr=8-1&keywords=hd650+cable

+

http://www.avshop.ca/wire-amp-cable/connectors/4-pin-xlr/neutrik-nc4mxx-4-pin-xlr-male-connector  

Much more economical that's for sure!  So you're suggesting buy the Senn 650 cable from Amazon.ca and a BALANCED connector from avshop.ca.  Snip off the SE and solder on the BALANCED connector.  Never tried anything like that before but hey $35 seems like a worthwhile experiment.  THANKS for the SUGGESTION!

Sep 28, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #35,413 of 46,564
  Much more economical that's for sure!  So you're suggesting buy the Senn 650 cable from Amazon.ca and a BALANCED connector from avshop.ca.  Snip off the SE and solder on the BALANCED connector.  Never tried anything like that before but hey $35 seems like a worthwhile experiment.  THANKS for the SUGGESTION!

Just be careful when trying to solder the XLR plug to the cables, the cables might have a coating that will need to be burned off before you can solder.  If you're lucky the cables will not have the coating.

Sep 28, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #35,415 of 46,564

Just be careful when trying to solder the XLR plug to the cables, the cables might have a coating that will need to be burned off before you can solder.  If you're lucky the cables will not have the coating.

You can get the neutrik 4 pin xlr from Amazon also.

I have soldered new ends on to two different hd650 cables. The coating is a pain but can be surmounted with a hot enough soldering iron. You tin the end of the Iron, then hold it to the wire, it should smoke a bit, once the solder absorbs onto the wire you are good to go. On my Weller iron I turn it to 4/5 to burn off the coating, then turn it down to 3.5/5 for the actual soldering.

Here is the picture I used to help with soldering the xlr.

Stock 650 cable; red=right, green=left, copper=ground. Even the ground has the coating on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back