Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #35,296 of 46,564
I wish there was a super easy way to swap between tube/solid state.
With my setup, sometimes I neglect to use the HD650 just because I have tubes in the Mjolnir 2 instead of LISST for the HD650 :frowning2:
They are amazing headphones and deserve more head time.  Sometimes I wish I was a hydra so I can listen to 3 headphones at a time haha

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #35,297 of 46,564
With my setup, sometimes I neglect to use the HD650 just because I have tubes in the Mjolnir 2 instead of LISST for the HD650 :frowning2:
They are amazing headphones and deserve more head time.  Sometimes I wish I was a hydra so I can listen to 3 headphones at a time haha

So Mjolnir with tubes is not the best pairing with the HD650 ? I would have thought maybe a change of tubes to adjust for the 650. I ask because I have been thinking about buying a Mjolnir.

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #35,298 of 46,564

So Mjolnir with tubes is not the best pairing with the HD650 ? I would have thought maybe a change of tubes to adjust for the 650. I ask because I have been thinking about buying a Mjolnir.

Logically, the LIIST tubes would be a better pairing to make up for the "veil" and "dark" nature of the HD650.

Honestly to me, it sounds fine with the stock tubes, hard to test vs the LISST because I need to wait for the tubes to cool down etc. swap to LISST, power up, listen.  By then, nothing is accurate anymore.  With the 3-5 minute gap (and that is with the tubes still pretty damn warm), I honestly cannot which sounds better/worse.  Only real way to know is to have 2x Mjolnir one with LISST and one with tubes.  After reading hundreds of pages on this forum tho, placebo and justification for a purchase is a really strong pill.  Even I can't say I don't suffer from it so take my opinion with a grain of salt. 

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #35,300 of 46,564
Sometimes I wish I was a hydra so I can listen to 3 headphones at a time haha

Some amps have plenty of juice to drive several HPs from one jack. I sometimes use a Grado Y-connector (SE) out of my BHA-1 amp (SS only) to compare a Grado vs. Senn 6xx or whatever, and then I connect a bal HP to the BHA-1's XLR jack -- so total of three HPs at once. Not if sure the Woo amps can drive a pair from a single jack.

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #35,301 of 46,564
  Some amps have plenty of juice to drive several HPs from one jack. I sometimes use a Grado Y-connector (SE) out of my BHA-1 amp (SS only) to compare a Grado vs. Senn 6xx or whatever, and then I connect a bal HP to the BHA-1's XLR jack -- so total of three HPs at once. Not if sure the Woo amps can drive a pair from a single jack.

I plug both my HD650 and HE500 into the Lake People G109S for comparative listening.  This amp drives these cans really well.

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #35,305 of 46,564
  Which can is better for you? 

Both headphones are excellent but very different.  The HE500's require a bit more volume to match the HD650 volume so although I can easily switch between cans I need to make a 2-3 click adjustment to properly volume match.  Since the LP amp is SS it is quite quick which is good for the HD650's giving a very nice presentation, not veil sounding as they can be accused of.  The highs are clear without being piercing, the mids are lovely and the bass is plentiful (for me) and controlled.

I tend to listen to the HD650's more than the HE500's but that might just be a function of comfort.  The HE500's can get a bit uncomfortable over extended listening, however the after market headband I have on it helps considerably.  The HE500's were my first serious headphone and they benefit being driven by a good amp.  Originally I had a Schiit Magni and while decent it seemed strained when driving the HE500's.  The LP amp drives both headphones effortlessly, individually or simultaneously.  Both headphones sound unrestricted & clear even when I turn the volume up to silly levels.

The HE500's are more detailed sounding than the HD650's but the bass is slightly more restrained except when music has deep bass, then the HE500's dig into sub-bass territory that the HD650's can't venture into.  The HE500's are extremely quick and can respond to transient changes very nicely.

I enjoy both cans and plan on keeping both of them.  It comes down to the type of music that I listen to that determines which headphones I will use.  However due to the dual headphone outputs I could be listening to and enjoying the HD500's and then have to hear how the HD650's sound on that particular track...or vise versa.  So I end up listening to both headphones alternatively for a lot of my listening sessions.  I love them both, they complement each other very well.

Sep 21, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #35,306 of 46,564

Logically, the LIIST tubes would be a better pairing to make up for the "veil" and "dark" nature of the HD650.

Honestly to me, it sounds fine with the stock tubes, hard to test vs the LISST because I need to wait for the tubes to cool down etc. swap to LISST, power up, listen.  By then, nothing is accurate anymore.  With the 3-5 minute gap (and that is with the tubes still pretty damn warm), I honestly cannot which sounds better/worse.  Only real way to know is to have 2x Mjolnir one with LISST and one with tubes.  After reading hundreds of pages on this forum tho, placebo and justification for a purchase is a really strong pill.  Even I can't say I don't suffer from it so take my opinion with a grain of salt. 

I got to try the LIIST and some nice tubes with 2 Lyr2 amps at the same time. 

The LISST made the Lyr2 very close to the Asgard2, a touch on the bright side with most headphones but it was quite nice with LCD-2.2 that we also had on hand. 

The tubes we used in the Lyr2 were Telefunken CCa's, Siemens Lorenz, Amperex PQ's and 74 Reflektor's, over all the 3 of us all liked any of the tubes over the LIIST, the LIIST just made the Lyr2 sound too digital, a little dry at times. 

HD-650 still sounds better on a BH Crack (upgraded caps and tubes) to me versus the Lyr2.

Sep 21, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #35,307 of 46,564
  I got to try the LIIST and some nice tubes with 2 Lyr2 amps at the same time. 

The LISST made the Lyr2 very close to the Asgard2, a touch on the bright side with most headphones but it was quite nice with LCD-2.2 that we also had on hand. 

The tubes we used in the Lyr2 were Telefunken CCa's, Siemens Lorenz, Amperex PQ's and 74 Reflektor's, over all the 3 of us all liked any of the tubes over the LIIST, the LIIST just made the Lyr2 sound too digital, a little dry at times. 

HD-650 still sounds better on a BH Crack (upgraded caps and tubes) to me versus the Lyr2.

I had the same impressions with the LISST tubes when I had them on my Lyr 2, I personally found them more veiled sounding than tubes. 

Sep 21, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #35,308 of 46,564
Used the HD650 all afternoon with the stock tubes in the Gungnir/Mjolnir 2, they sound wonderful.  Directly comparing switching back and forth with Apogee Groove, they sound very close.  Surprisingly, the Apogee groove sounds better to me.  Mjolnir 2 with stock tubes vs Apogee Groove, Groove wins. 

Treble is better, sound stage is a bit better, sounds bigger.  Base is a bit less, barely noticeable, very hard to tell apart the difference.  Mids are almost indistinguishable.  Both sound extremely amazing.  The Apogee Groove sounds like they "opened up" the headphones.

This also makes sense, as Mjolnir 2 with stock tubes is...tube.  I think tube is just a smoother more relaxed sound while solid state is much more dynamic and punchy, but I don't need to tell you experts that.  Very interesting comparison.  Very hard to hear the difference, the thing that jumped out at me the most is how the treble sparkled much more with the Apogee Groove, but not harsh at all.  No wonder Sennheiser bundled it together.  Great combo!!!!

Hates off to Apogee to make a device that can pretty much go toe to toe with the big boy Mjolnir 2.  Im impressed, and am very happy with both despite the Mjolnir 2 not sounding significantly better than the Groove, it can do things for the HD800S that the Groove cannot, but that requires a bit more listening and direct comparison.

I am going to post this now so I have this opinion in text so I can refer to it.  If I find time, I will compare Apogee Groove vs Mjolnir 2 with the LISST tubes.

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #35,310 of 46,564
  Used the HD650 all afternoon with the stock tubes in the Gungnir/Mjolnir 2, they sound wonderful.  Directly comparing switching back and forth with Apogee Groove, they sound very close.  Surprisingly, the Apogee groove sounds better to me.  Mjolnir 2 with stock tubes vs Apogee Groove, Groove wins. 

Treble is better, sound stage is a bit better, sounds bigger.  Base is a bit less, barely noticeable, very hard to tell apart the difference.  Mids are almost indistinguishable.  Both sound extremely amazing.  The Apogee Groove sounds like they "opened up" the headphones.

This also makes sense, as Mjolnir 2 with stock tubes is...tube.  I think tube is just a smoother more relaxed sound while solid state is much more dynamic and punchy, but I don't need to tell you experts that.  Very interesting comparison.  Very hard to hear the difference, the thing that jumped out at me the most is how the treble sparkled much more with the Apogee Groove, but not harsh at all.  No wonder Sennheiser bundled it together.  Great combo!!!!

Hates off to Apogee to make a device that can pretty much go toe to toe with the big boy Mjolnir 2.  Im impressed, and am very happy with both despite the Mjolnir 2 not sounding significantly better than the Groove, it can do things for the HD800S that the Groove cannot, but that requires a bit more listening and direct comparison.

I am going to post this now so I have this opinion in text so I can refer to it.  If I find time, I will compare Apogee Groove vs Mjolnir 2 with the LISST tubes.

Nice to hear that the combo actually works properly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back