Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 10, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #34,291 of 46,554
What's scary is that the HD-650 is one of the more forgiving headphones I've heard.  I have a hard time listening to a lot of my music on my HD-800/700/T1/SR-009/HE560 due to the recordings being so-so or sub par.

Agree, I've been introduced to a lot of music that I would not have heard about reading in the various threads.

Yup. I literally started a thread on this site asking for rock that sounded good with headphones when I got back into headphones. Even stuff I thought sounded pretty good before with my speakers sounded like crap with my 580's. Now there's a bunch of cool stuff I listen to, and once I integrated my turntable into the rig, things got much, much better. Less compression, better bass and smoother all around sound for the not so great recordings

Jun 10, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #34,292 of 46,554
Yup. I literally started a thread on this site asking for rock that sounded good with headphones when I got back into headphones. Even stuff I thought sounded pretty good before with my speakers sounded like crap with my 580's. Now there's a bunch of cool stuff I listen to, and once I integrated my turntable into the rig, things got much, much better. Less compression, better bass and smoother all around sound for the not so great recordings

What's scary is that the HD-650 is one of the more forgiving headphones I've heard.  I have a hard time listening to a lot of my music on my HD-800/700/T1/SR-009/HE560 due to the recordings being so-so or sub par.

Agree, I've been introduced to a lot of music that I would not have heard about reading in the various threads.

Suggestions for rock and blues that's mastered well?

Jun 10, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #34,293 of 46,554
Suggestions for rock and blues that's mastered well?

Pretty much any of the Steven Wilson remixes, the Jethro Tull and the Yes stuff is amazing, his solo stuff and Porcupine Tree is really good too, Traffic, Pink Floyd, Neil Young, the new Zeppelin and Who remasters are pretty good, the Bowie remasters are good too. There's alot of great music that sounds good

Jun 11, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #34,294 of 46,554

That doesn't surprise me since all of those headphones has nasty treble (I'm not familiar with SR-009 so exclude that).

Jun 11, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #34,296 of 46,554
The treble of the HD 800 S is better than the HD 650 according to my ears. It's crystal clear. The HD 650 has grain in the treble ( but most mid-fi headphones have this)

Jun 11, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #34,297 of 46,554

Nasty treble? Only if not driven correctly IMO.

I'm talking about the transductors, not the chain as a whole. It's obvious that you can mask it if you wish, but that's a different matter.

The treble of the HD 800 S is better than the HD 650 according to my ears. It's crystal clear. The HD 650 has grain in the treble ( but most mid-fi headphones have this)

I wasn't talking about the HD800S :) 

Jun 11, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #34,298 of 46,554

I'm talking about the transductors, not the chain as a whole. It's obvious that you can mask it if you wish, but that's a different matter.

I wasn't talking about the HD800S :) 

I was talking about both, headphones and the rest of the audio chain.  None of the headphones I mentioned has nasty treble to me, elevated yes but smoother, less grain than lesser headphones.  To me the HD-600 had nasty treble with some tracks that irritated me once in a while, other headphones that sometime do this are HE-400, cheaper Grados, DT-990 and some Q/K7 series.  I interpret nasty as grainy, harsh and/or sibilant.

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #34,299 of 46,554
In my opinion, these headphones just can do no wrong. I've had them for 2 years, and since then I have bought and sold like 10 headphones, none of which have the smooth natural sound the HD650's possess. People say that this headphone is boring and too warm and laid back, but to me they sound like the typical response of good quality speakers. I think most headphone listeners are used to treble detail being injected into their ears.

Jun 11, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #34,300 of 46,554
In my opinion, these headphones just can do no wrong. I've had them for 2 years, and since then I have bought and sold like 10 headphones, none of which have the smooth natural sound the HD650's possess. People say that this headphone is boring and too warm and laid back, but to me they sound like the typical response of good quality speakers. I think most headphone listeners are used to treble detail being injected into their ears.

Quality amping IS the key.

Jun 11, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #34,303 of 46,554
Since becoming fully contented with my rig might I offer this..

Yes, the video is garbage, switch off your monitor. But the sound..

Jun 11, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #34,304 of 46,554
Personally speaking as little as possible, essentially as neutral as possible in the chain in order to hear the source as unadulterated as possible.

Trying to see how your chain of though goes here, the HD-650 is not a neutral sounding headphone but yet you are trying to have your chain as neutral as possible?  I would think the HD-600 would be the choice it you were looking for neutral.  Just curious here, not trying to say anything bad.

I try to get the most out of headphones by having different DACs and amps to better match each headphone, colored or not is not an issue with me as I'm not looking for neutral.  When I first started on these threads I noticed that some are obsessed with trying to get a neutral sound but since we all hear differently and have different ideas to what is neutral it didn't make sense for me to follow those thoughts but rather as a few others have said to just find what sounds good to me.  One thing I did find was that I didn't care for just one sound signature, I liked how the various headphones presented the music to me differently, sort of like variety is the spice of life way of thinking.

@Solrighal, nice song, glad to see you back on these threads G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back