Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #28,426 of 46,554
When you get the amp and have had some time with it perhaps you could do a review for the rest of us, sounds like something I might like to have myself.  Thanks

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #28,427 of 46,554
  It will be able to use two C3G's as drivers or just a single 6/12/25 SN7 as a driver ...32 ECC    ....ect.......................also will be able to use 6F8G with Glenns adapter....plus many more...too many to list 
tongue.gif

The rectifier is PY500/42EC4A and are really cheap, and Glenn says they are better than any 5 volt rectifier....so this is really sweet.

Power tubes can be 6AS7G.....7236....6080.....6336 for low impedence cans....also has a switch for running 5998 at it's full potential.

Really looking forward to it.

Very sweet.  Did Glenn give you a dynamic range on that baby?  Is it high impedance only or can you run Grados and the like?

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #28,428 of 46,554

It will be able to use two C3G's as drivers or just a single 6/12/25 SN7 as a driver ...32 ECC    ....ect.......................also will be able to use 6F8G with Glenns adapter....plus many more...too many to list 
tongue.gif

The rectifier is PY500/42EC4A and are really cheap, and Glenn says they are better than any 5 volt rectifier....so this is really sweet.

Power tubes can be 6AS7G.....7236....6080.....6336 for low impedence cans....also has a switch for running 5998 at it's full potential.

Really looking forward to it.

Very sweet.  Did Glenn give you a dynamic range on that baby?  Is it high impedance only or can you run Grados and the like?

Can run Grado's and low impedance cans using the 6336 power tubes.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #28,430 of 46,554
Is this one of a kind, or are there impressions of the amp? Just wondering how Glenn's amps are voiced. Seems it should bring out the 650's sound nicely.

Second that question :)

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #28,431 of 46,554
Okay I will chime in with the third question, where can we view, see, drool over, or compare these

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #28,432 of 46,554
  Okay I will chime in with the third question, where can we view, see, drool over, or compare these

Party at @whirlwind's! You're in Michigan, I'm in Ontario, ButtUglyJeff's in NY. Converge!

I'll bring bevvies :)

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #28,433 of 46,554
If we leave now we can at least scare the crap out of him, !

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #28,434 of 46,554
We have to circle him to make sure he can not escape!

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #28,435 of 46,554
Lol - he's encircled :) just have to hijack his tracking! 
beerchug.gif

Edit: rats. he just changed his location to Moscow :frowning2:

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #28,436 of 46,554
  When you get the amp and have had some time with it perhaps you could do a review for the rest of us, sounds like something I might like to have myself.  Thanks

I will  post my impressions once that I get my hands on it and have had some time with it

Is this one of a kind, or are there impressions of the amp? Just wondering how Glenn's amps are voiced. Seems it should bring out the 650's sound nicely.

Well, Glenn has made many OTL amps, along with many other kinds of amps...gibosi owns one of glenns OTL amps and it uses C3G's also....his was the first otl that Glenn made to use C3G.....he loves his amp and tells me it is very transparent to tube rolling, which is exactly what I was looking for.  
smile.gif

I think my amp is the first OTL to use the PY500 for the rectifier....these are what Glenn normally uses in his 300B amps, along with the Lundahl transformers.

You can customize the amp the way you want....you can get it so it will use 6/12/25 SN7....ect....ect.....I think Glenn owns the HD650 and the HD800...so, yeah this amp should be wonderful for these cans.

Here is the other picture that Glenn sent me of my amp

Like I said, i really can not comment on the sound, as the amp is not in my hands yet.

If you have any questions about what all features that Glenn can put in his amps you can just pm him....there is a thread in the headphone amp section of the forums
http://www.head-fi.org/t/600110/2359glenn-studio

It is a rather long thread, and there is a lot of talk there that does not pertain to amps, but rather food 
tongue.gif

So you will need to sift thru the thread....bottom line is, if you have an idea for your dream amp.....Glenn may be able to make it come true.

Wish I could tell you more guys, but until I actually get the opportunity hear the amp, that is all I have.

I have lots and lots of tubes waiting to be rolled when ever it arrives.

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #28,437 of 46,554
Aug 31, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #28,438 of 46,554
I wouldn't be so crass as to ask a price in public lol. Damn - I'm all itchy to pull the trigger on the BH Mainline for my winter build / fun, but since oil tanked so did our dollar. Still, I must lol.

Everybody, drive cars, burn oil! When did Canuckistan become er, Kazakhistan? (Forget the Borat youtube links!)

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #28,439 of 46,554
Just unboxed my HD 650's and, while they do sound nice, I was expecting them to sound considerably better than my PC 363D headset.  This is going to be a stupid question, but should I get an amp?  I'm currently just using my PC motherboard which has a built-in amp for up to 600 ohms but it doesn't really get as loud as I would have thought.  I was looking at the JDS Labs O2+ODAC for a decent option (will post in that thread as well).  Would that do a good job of really powering these headphones or am I out of luck due to the open-back design?  The sound is great (and was on the PC 363D's as well) but I feel like I need one more notch on the volume knob that isn't there.  I think I could easily get the sound I want from closed-back headphones but I don't like the feeling of pressure that they put on my ears and prefer open-back headphones by far.  Thanks for any input on my stupid question; I just don't want to drop ~$300 on an amp with no appreciable difference.

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #28,440 of 46,554
  Just unboxed my HD 650's and, while they do sound nice, I was expecting them to sound considerably better than my PC 363D headset.  This is going to be a stupid question, but should I get an amp?  I'm currently just using my PC motherboard which has a built-in amp for up to 600 ohms but it doesn't really get as loud as I would have thought.  I was looking at the JDS Labs O2+ODAC for a decent option (will post in that thread as well).  Would that do a good job of really powering these headphones or am I out of luck due to the open-back design?  The sound is great (and was on the PC 363D's as well) but I feel like I need one more notch on the volume knob that isn't there.  I think I could easily get the sound I want from closed-back headphones but I don't like the feeling of pressure that they put on my ears and prefer open-back headphones by far.  Thanks for any input on my stupid question; I just don't want to drop ~$300 on an amp with no appreciable difference.

Hate to say, but you've just bought an amazing pair of cans that are not the easiest beasts to drive! If you drop money on an amp you will get substantially better sound. You've got 1/2 of a race car....A few pages back some entry-level amps were discussed, but give a hard look at the garage1217 offerings like the Ember or Polaris. If that's a bit much then grab a Fiio E12.

They are really great sounding cans but do need amping....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back