Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 22, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #22,216 of 46,527
That's not the real purpose of that plug-in so you're going to struggle to achieve what you're looking for. Have you tried a real parametric EQ? Perhaps there's one available for Foobar. I don't know because I'm on OS X but a parametric EQ can be much more satisfying than a run-of-the-mill graphic EQ, no matter how many bands it has.

But you have to know how to do measurements and what those settings mean to get the proper results, while with graphic EQ you just play with the sliders until you get desired sound

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #22,217 of 46,527
That's one that's already on my list. I need to do more reading. You people in the States don't know how lucky you are being able to go to meets and hear stuff without pressure. Here it's a bit suck it and see.  Thanks for the suggestion.

I wish there were some UK meets that didn't end up in London. I have family that live there and when we're down there we're usually expected to be visiting and such. A more Northern location would definitely make attendence more of an option. I'd love to be able to hear some of the stuff on my wishlist.

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #22,218 of 46,527
I wish there were some UK meets that didn't end up in London. I have family that live there and when we're down there we're usually expected to be visiting and such. A more Northern location would definitely make attendence more of an option. I'd love to be able to hear some of the stuff on my wishlist.

+1 Say it brother!

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #22,219 of 46,527

That's one that's already on my list. I need to do more reading. You people in the States don't know how lucky you are being able to go to meets and hear stuff without pressure. Here it's a bit suck it and see.  Thanks for the suggestion.

You do realize that not everyone in the USA lives in big cities, right? Like, we're not all a five minute car ride from Miami, NYC, San Francisco, Dallas, and Chicago?

The closest thing to me is a 115 mile drive to a single store that has a handful of good headphones but is primarily a home theater store, or I can drive about 130 miles to NYC and see what's going on out there, and that's the BEST I can do. I'm at least two hours from anything and I'm actually in a GOOD spot, all things considered. If I were out in Kansas or Wyoming there'd be nothing. 

You gotta remember that the USA isn't that much smaller than the entirety of Europe. It's 2500 miles from New York to LA. 

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #22,220 of 46,527
I live in a fairly large city in the US (Pittsburgh) and there has been no meets since I joined Headfi more than a years ago.  Looking through the archives there haven't been any major meets, only sporadic mini-meets over the past decade with a handful of people attending each one.

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #22,221 of 46,527
Yeah, I can honestly say I've never been to a meet. I keep an eye on the NYC meets and see if I can make the trip out that way. 

I used to live near Harrisburg, there was no way for me to get to ANYTHING. 

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #22,222 of 46,527
Yeah, I am aware of the geography of the US, lol. Who isn't? There's still way more viable options for you guys generally speaking.

You do realize that not everyone in the USA lives in big cities, right? Like, we're not all a five minute car ride from Miami, NYC, San Francisco, Dallas, and Chicago?

The closest thing to me is a 115 mile drive to a single store that has a handful of good headphones but is primarily a home theater store, or I can drive about 130 miles to NYC and see what's going on out there, and that's the BEST I can do. I'm at least two hours from anything and I'm actually in a GOOD spot, all things considered. If I were out in Kansas or Wyoming there'd be nothing. 

You gotta remember that the USA isn't that much smaller than the entirety of Europe. It's 2500 miles from New York to LA. 

Yeah, I am aware of the geography of the US, lol. Who isn't? There's still way more viable options for you guys generally speaking. Things are often way cheaper for you folks too. Air travel being just one.

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #22,223 of 46,527
Received mine today. Coming from the HD600, the HD650 sounds just the same, but a TAD bit less highs, and a bit more bass. Especially deep down sub bass which I love. To be honest, the sub bass around 25hz and lower is much better than Fidelio X2's. However Fidelio X2's have more bass in the 40-80hz region. These HD650's are very smooooooth. Silky smooth. Vocals are just as pronounced but smoother. Highs are great. Definitely an upgrade to the HD600's for the price I paid. $260 for HD600's. $295 for HD650's. I hope to sell these HD600's for $250 on craigslist or something. I LOVE LOVE LOVE both, but found the HD650's better suited for me since I use one pair for everything. Movies, music, gaming, podcast listening, and all that jazz. Thank you guys so very much. Wonderful community. Extremely pleased with my purchase.

Only with time they'll become better. Currently using a HT Omega Claro Halo PC sound card which is similar to an Asus Xonar ST/STX. WOO!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #22,224 of 46,527

Yeah, I am aware of the geography of the US, lol. Who isn't? There's still way more viable options for you guys generally speaking. Things are often way cheaper for you folks too. Air travel being just one.

If you really had a grip on this then you'd kinda know that, uh, no. It's not really viable for a lot of people. Unless by "you guys" you mean only the ones local to meets or the ones with the disposable income to fly great distances and take time off of work, in which case it's kinda irrelevant. 

The reason most of us have never been to a meet-up isn't just that we're, I dunno, lazy or something. It's that the travel is like you going from Scotland to Ireland for a meet-up.

Oh BTW I decided to look up plane ticket prices. Glasgow to London is less than $100 on average. Pittsburgh to Chicago is over $200. What was that about flights again?

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #22,225 of 46,527
I live in Chicago and have been to a few meets. They are fun but a mixed blessing for any serious auditioning. I have never been able to get a good feel for the quality of anything at a meet. It's very noisy and I have a hard time concentrating when people are looking over your shoulder waiting to get their turn. The only way to evaluate gear is to listen in your own system I would say for st least two weeks.

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #22,226 of 46,527
The only way to evaluate gear is to listen in your own system I would say for st least two weeks.

I cannot imagine the kind of flexible income you'd have to have to be able to swing something like this (or be RIDICULOUSLY fortunate to live near a rental shop). TBH if you can't figure out what you think of headphones within 30 minutes then all that's happening after 2 weeks is you're adjusting to it. 

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #22,227 of 46,527
I cannot imagine the kind of flexible income you'd have to have to be able to swing something like this (or be RIDICULOUSLY fortunate to live near a rental shop). TBH if you can't figure out what you think of headphones within 30 minutes then all that's happening after 2 weeks is you're adjusting to it. 

Many places have a 30 day return period. Check out Music Direct. You have 30 days to decide if you like something or not.

And I would have say you are truly gifted to be able to decide in 30 minutes. I think you have a lot to learn.

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #22,228 of 46,527

You really like rubbing people up the wrong way mate, eh?

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #22,230 of 46,527
Many places have a 30 day return period. Check out Music Direct. You have 30 days to decide if you like something or not.

And I would have say you are truly gifted to be able to decide in 30 minutes. I think you have a lot to learn.

On point 1, that's kind of a douchey thing to do. When you send it back, they can't sell it as a new item, it has to be an open box. You're essentially costing the company money so you can just play around. It's nice to have, but to do it with several dozen headphones is really not cool.

For point 2, I think if you can't figure out what a headphone has going on after a half hour then your ears are broken. You might not be able to say "well there's some grain in the 5KHz range and I hear a tiny hump between 80Hz and 120" but if after a half hour you're unable to get a feel for the shape and style of a headphone's sound maybe the issue is on your end.

What you MIGHT be referring to is a person's decision process, which for some people is instant and for some people takes forever. Of the various headphones I've owned over the last year or so, ranging from the DT770 to the LCD-2.2, within a half hour I'd know if I like it or not, but external factors can change it over time. Even the headphones I've sold aren't because my opinion of them changed, but rather because I started to want something different. 

I hear this a lot, the whole "it takes weeks of auditioning," and it bugs me just as much now as it did then. It essentially leaves everyone in a perpetual state of indecision because they're always going to think that what they have isn't as good as what they could have because there is simply no way to listen to all the possible headphones out there.

For that matter, when you say "two weeks", how many hours is that? One hour a day? Two hours a day? How much of a given headphone is necessary? What if you have a dozen headphones to decide between? Are you talking several hundred hours of listening before you can decide which to keep? You're talking months and months of hardcore auditioning. That's just absurd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back