Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #21,783 of 46,535
I have a modmic and considering HD650 is slightly magnetic (the cans), it automatically sucks the modmic to it, does anybody know if this will cause any damage? Shouldn't be since its mildly magnetic?

I'm no engineer yet but from what I know headphone drivers operation using magnets, another magnet will only hinder its operation which can cause distortion, loss in audio quality, or damage.

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #21,786 of 46,535
I just bought a pair off of ebay for 24 bucks and they should be arriving today. I'll try to post impressions.

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #21,788 of 46,535
Anyone here tried the cheap replacement HD 650 earpads from ebay?

Really don't feel like shelling out 70$ to get one from Sennheiser.

I wouldn't try to skimp on ear pads.  Any slight variation can effect the sound.

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #21,791 of 46,535
I just bought a pair off of ebay for 24 bucks and they should be arriving today. I'll try to post impressions.

Will wait for your impressions.

I think someone once told me there's hardly any difference in the basic sonic signature between the original and the eBay pads.

After all these are foams encased in velour cloth. As far as the foams don't crush too much and make noise while moving around causing irritation, don't think there can be too much alteration in the signature.

Might be wrong though. So asking for impressions to be sure.

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #21,792 of 46,535
While it's true that they may change the sound, I refuse to believe that the ebay pads sound 50 dollars worse than the original pads until I hear it for myself. If the ebay pads are significantly worse, I'll just return them and get the real deal but if they're pretty similar performance wise, I really wouldn't be able to justify spending an extra 50 bucks.

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #21,793 of 46,535
  While it's true that they may change the sound, I refuse to believe that the ebay pads sound 50 dollars worse than the original pads until I hear it for myself. If the ebay pads are significantly worse, I'll just return them and get the real deal but if they're pretty similar performance wise, I really wouldn't be able to justify spending an extra 50 bucks.

"50 dollars worse" is different for everybody I guess.  I would gladly pay an extra $50.00 to get exactly the same pads.

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #21,794 of 46,535
I wouldn't try to skimp on ear pads.  Any slight variation can effect the sound.

Exactly my thoughts aswel. Would have bought and tried one myself unless shipping returns weren't so cumbersome from my country.

Would like some first hand impressions before I commit to the gamble.

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #21,795 of 46,535

"50 dollars worse" is different for everybody I guess.  I would gladly pay an extra $50.00 to get exactly the same pads.

That's very true, but as a poor college student I simply don't have any extra money to spare. $50 saved on a pair of earpads is another $50 towards next semester's tuition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back