Sennheiser HD650/HD800 + WooAudio WA7 OR Schiit Valhalla 2 & Schiit Bifrost
Dec 13, 2014 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

rogerthatmand

Head-Fier
Hey,
I'm about to buy the Sennheiser HD650 or the HD800 and I'm looking for a good amp and DAC too.
I searched everywhere on the forum and I still far away from decision. I'm a little confused and wanna know which should I choose. The Schiit combo as I mentioned at the title OR the WA7 amp+DAC?

Thanks a lot!

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #2 of 20
Based only on looks, I would pick the WA7 - that is a very cool looking piece of kit! Unfortunately, I can't speak to the sound of either of them with the HD650 or HD800.

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 20
The thing is... we're not here for the looks, but just for the sound 
happy_face1.gif

Dec 13, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 20
The WA7 Fireflies are the way to go with the HD 800, which have a very different sound signature than the HD 650.

If you want to emphasize the sound signature of the HD 650--rolled off treble and bloomy mid-bass (to lower mids), then tubes or a hybrid amp may be the way to go.  If not, a quality solid state amp is probably better

Dec 13, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 20
  The WA7 Fireflies are the way to go with the HD 800, which have a very different sound signature than the HD 650.

If you want to emphasize the sound signature of the HD 650--rolled off treble and bloomy mid-bass (to lower mids), then tubes or a hybrid amp may be the way to go.  If not, a quality solid state amp is probably better

So I understand that the WA7 Fireflies will be good with the HD 650 as well?

And besides, is there any headphones out there that won't go well with the WA7? (just in case I'd go eventually with the LCD2 or something else, so another question is just in general, what will be better? the WA7 or the Schiit combo I mentioned?)

Thanks a lot!

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 20

And besides, is there any headphones out there that won't go well with the WA7? (just in case I'd go eventually with the LCD2 or something else, so another question is just in general, what will be better? the WA7 or the Schiit combo I mentioned?)

Thanks a lot!

I just ordered the Valhalla 2 for the HD800 based on recommendations.
I suggest you get the Schiit stack and if you would buy an LCD-2f add an Asgard 2 to the stack.
The Audeze's benefit from a good ss amp.

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #8 of 20

Thanks a lot!

The WA7 will be good with almost anything, except the HE-6.  However, "good" is not the test when matching a specific can with an amp in this price class.

Whether or not you should match the WA7, as opposed to another amp, with the HD 650 depends on what color sound you seek--and how deep you want those colors to be.

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #9 of 20
Thank you all for your comments!

Souljacker, I prefer to buy an amp and dac "forever" so  I won't have to upgrade and/or change anything. So your option is probably not best suited for me. But tnx for the info!

KG Jag, thanks a lot for your explanation! And of course - when I mean good - I mean good sound quality for the price, nothing to regret about.
And my question is coming to compare between the WA7 and the Schiit stack I mentioned. Or in other words - for 1000$, is there any other better choice than the WA7? (since I understand WA7 will be better choice than the Schiit stack)

Thanks again!

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 20
Their are multiple threads in other parts of this forum [mostly in the Headphones (full sized) sub-section] devoted entirely to the HD 650 and covering what drives it well or "the best".  Ditto + for the HD 800 [see the Summit-Fi forum section for it].  You should consider joining one or more of these discussions.

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #11 of 20
  Thank you all for your comments!

Souljacker, I prefer to buy an amp and dac "forever" so  I won't have to upgrade and/or change anything. So your option is probably not best suited for me. But tnx for the info!

KG Jag, thanks a lot for your explanation! And of course - when I mean good - I mean good sound quality for the price, nothing to regret about.
And my question is coming to compare between the WA7 and the Schiit stack I mentioned. Or in other words - for 1000$, is there any other better choice than the WA7? (since I understand WA7 will be better choice than the Schiit stack)

Thanks again!

I was in the same situation some months ago as you are now. Also wanting a high-end headphone with amp and dac that would have great pairing with multiple headphones.
After having owned the Alpha Primes and now the HD800 I think I'm gonna stick with the HD800 as long as I did 8 years with the HD 595.
I'm not saying the WA7 is better or worse than the Schiit stack. However if you would like to buy the WA7 I really recommed to get the tube power supply with it, so now you are at $1398.
With a Schiit stack: Valhalla 2 / Asgard 2 / Bifrost Uber usb it will be $1117 without cables. That combo is more versatile and cheaper than the WA7.

Just my 2 cents.

Dec 14, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #13 of 20
Dec 14, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #14 of 20
Yeah, i've seen this thread, still I'm not quite sure what the differences are about (sorry, a little noob here 
L3000.gif
)

The basic version is not a tube amp? Is it really necessary? It's almost 400$ extra,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back