Sennheiser HD650 + FiiO E6
Mar 18, 2012 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Hertz32

New Head-Fier
I'm relativley new to the mechanics of audio so i don't really know much about Amp's, Impedances etc. I might be able to get a pair of HD650's off a mate for free so i'm looking at amp's to run it with the School computers and my phone. i have read nothing but good reviews about the E6 but i'm unclear as to how well it will run a top end headphone as they are all tested with budget headphones beacause that is what is assumed you will use them with.
My questions are:
Will i need FLAC files to get the most out of the setup or can i stick with MP3?
How well will the AMP drive the HD650's?
Will the hardware in my phone hold the quality back significantly?

Thanks so much
    John

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
Hey John, I don't think a simple E6 will be ample enough to run the power hungry HD650's, try the Electric Avenues Pa2v2

Agreed on that statement, The Electric Avenues PA2V2 does a very good job of driving the Sennheiser HD650, and it does it very well, despite being a budget orientated amplifier.

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 6
I second that. I received my HD 650's on Wednesday and initially I thought the PA2V2 wasn't up to the task, but they in fact do a commendable job. The  default gain setting from electric avenues requires that I set the volume at around 2 o'clock; however you can manually adjust the gain once you flip the lid.

Apr 11, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #6 of 6
I'm listening to this combo right now. It actually works quite well with surprisingly good sound quality. Its not why I bought the E6 though, rather for driving my AKG 518. I think using it with the HD650 will drain the battery more quickly. But it does work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back