Sennheiser HD650 + Creative X-fi Xtreme Music
Jul 13, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #16 of 35
Thanks for the recommendations. now, i'd really appreciate it if you could tell me where to buy everything at the best prices. =). thanks everyone

edit: im getting to "know" my headphones a little better ;D

Jul 13, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangsta
i had to work for it =P i want to make my own audiophile heaven
eggosmile.gif

I'm 13. I have hd-600's. Don't get into this headphone hobby, your going to end up like me.

Sennheiser 580/600/650 headphones have 300 ohm impedance. This means they are hard to drive, and you should be prepared to buy a headphone amp in the future. I think a headphone cable upgrade comes after an amp, but me and audiophiliac differ in that opinion, although we're both still noobs :p.

I can second the PPA as I own one. A M^3 is also supose to have good synergy with sennheisers. Your going to probably want to get a dac in the future too though, so like I said, don't get into this hobby.

What is your source now? If your using your computer, you may want to look into lossless audio formats.

Jul 13, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #18 of 35
haha. im ok=] i think i really like this stuff.
wink.gif
. yeah. i use my x-fi directly =(. I need a dac and amp for the best prices so i need to find out where to buy this stuff.
=]

Jul 13, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

haha. im ok=] i think i really like this stuff.
wink.gif
. yeah. i use my x-fi directly =(. I need a dac and amp for the best prices so i need to find out where to buy this stuff.
=]

The worst thing you can do is buy stuff blindly. You should go test stuff out at local meets (where do you live?)

And dude, you don't understand. We all join thinking we're going to spend a set amount and be done. Then like a drug addiction it begins biting you. Head-fi is worse then heroin, it just comes back to get you for a new piece of equipment or upgrade. Trust me, there is a reason why head-fi has the saying "welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet."

Jul 13, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #20 of 35
haha. i know. computers and gaming is the same exact thing. ive been apart of that community for years. its just as addicting. every month i always buy new things. alltogether spent around thousands. this time im trying to buy things that i really want to buy. thanks for the warning.

Jul 13, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

haha. i know. computers and gaming is the same exact thing. ive been apart of that community for years. its just as addicting. every month i always buy new things. alltogether spent around thousands. this time im trying to buy things that i really want to buy. thanks for the warning.

Computers are nothing like head-fi. Computers are the marijuanna of money addictions, and head-fi is the heroin of money addictions. Sorry, I'm just trying to put things into perspective, I've been working with computers for many years too and buying a lot of computer stuff, but head-fi totally makes computer stuff look like nothing price wise
tongue.gif

Are you gaming? If so, a dac might not work so well. Generally you need to use audio creation mode if your using a dac, so that you get a flat 44.1 khz without resampling.

Jul 13, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
"welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet."

Yes indeed, I've been around for about 2 and a half month's now and thx to head-fi my wallet will be about a €1000 (slightly more then 1000$) lighter by the end of august...

Damn you head-fi!!

Puts on his HD650's and turns on music*

Damn you all...

Jul 13, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrupt^
Yes indeed, I've been around for about 2 and a half month's now and thx to head-fi my wallet will be about a €1000 (slightly more then 1000$) lighter by the end of august...

Damn you head-fi!!

Puts on his HD650's and turns on music*

Damn you all...

It's just this kids 13, and I don't want him to end up like me going way over his head. There is a never ending line of upgrades in audio stuff, so unless you have a trillion dollars you'll never be finished.

Jul 14, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #24 of 35
haha. i dont think my parents would allow me to spend more than my budget. theres no way haha. yeah im into gaming a lot but it doesnt really matter to me about gaming sound. i always have my 5h=P gaming headphones

Jul 14, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

haha. i dont think my parents would allow me to spend more than my budget. theres no way haha. yeah im into gaming a lot but it doesnt really matter to me about gaming sound. i always have my 5h=P gaming headphones

Dude trust me, use that HD650 for gaming too if ya can
biggrin.gif

Even my clanmates say "What" from time to time. Small sounds such as a person releasing his "walk button" for a fraction of a second, you'll hear it with the HD650's from a mile away
wink.gif

But if you start going to large lanparties, make sure you have a more simple backup headphone. You don't want your 300 dollar headset being stolen...

Your computer will be safe when you go to sleep but there are often persons that wont hesitate to steal gaming gear, such as mousepads, mice and yes... headsets.

Jul 14, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #26 of 35
haha yeah i do i also have my steel sound 5h =D if people were to steal things at lanparties everything of mine would be stolen lol.. like my Microsoft IntelliMouse 1.1 SE ;D your talking about cs right?

Jul 14, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Are you gaming? If so, a dac might not work so well. Generally you need to use audio creation mode if your using a dac, so that you get a flat 44.1 khz without resampling.

The resampler that comes with the X-fi is pretty transparent so I don't think its a problem. Have fun with the hobby, but you should try to audition stuff before buying because _everyone_ hears things differently.

Jul 14, 2006 at 10:00 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
The resampler that comes with the X-fi is pretty transparent so I don't think its a problem. Have fun with the hobby, but you should try to audition stuff before buying because _everyone_ hears things differently.

That my friend is the best advice anybody in this hobby can give you. You may also want to consider selling your 650's and getting a cheaper pair of phones, there are a lot of really decent ones. I didn't realise personally that you need to train your ear to truly hear the differences with a lot of gear. I am thinking of getting my dad a set of sennheiser hd-201's, they are closed which I think is nice for gaming and rather cheap.

Jul 14, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

haha yeah i do i also have my steel sound 5h =D if people were to steal things at lanparties everything of mine would be stolen lol.. like my Microsoft IntelliMouse 1.1 SE ;D your talking about cs right?

CS Source. Best sound I heard in a game was COD2, the surround effects on a headset with the X-Fi's are just inhuman.

Jul 14, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #30 of 35
haha i see. i really dont enjoy cheap headsets [havent used too many of those] but i dont think selling it is really an option. my parents would freak out haha. yeah im into gaming but i dont really care if the sound is great, just as long as i have sound. i also have my steel sound 5h as backup so yeah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back