SENNHEISER HD650..... Best desktop AMP / DAC!?
Jul 1, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #46 of 59
Go for the FUN, you won't be disappointed.

Note though, there are many options to choose from (which is why it's called the fun). I recommend getting all the default gear but upgrading the OPA to OPA-Earth (or any of the others depending on your preference, but Earth is the most neutral).

Jul 2, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #47 of 59

Quote:
For $600, why not take a look at gamma1 and M3. 

I don't recommend the gamma1 after owning it, but the M^3 is a good suggestion for my experience with my HD650. The Opus, buffalo, or gamma2 (haven't heard the gamma 2 yet, but seems a little similar to the Opus) seem like better solutions for sources. I love my buffalo. Hey, at least I'm talking from experience here.

Jul 2, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #48 of 59

Quote:
RSA Protector. No compromises as an amp with the HD650's in balanced mode.

Checked it with my father's hd650 and hd600. Thats absolutely true.
Even Lisa III with LLP and SR-71A doesnt do as good as protector balanced.

As a dac, go for gamma2.

Jul 2, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #49 of 59

Quote:
I have a relatively cost effective setup suggestion. The Headroom Micro Amp can be had for about $200 and the uDac can be had for about $75. The Headroom Micro is an excellent amp and is fairly small. It's also versatile and feature filled. It's worth a look. Good luck.

I just bought the HD650s and having tried them with the uDAC, I can testify that the uDAC won't be enough to handle them.  I was hoping it would, believe me.  If you want bass dominated, muddy audio without detail, by all means the uDAC will suffice.  As soon as I hooked the HD650s up to an amp that was able to adequately power them, the detail came soaring out. 

Jul 2, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #50 of 59
I think he meant the uDac into the Micro amp.

Jul 2, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #52 of 59
Got my Audio-GD Fun, and

HOLY F-ing JESUS!! is all i gotta say!

Do you guys recommend me to get a DAC?

All a dac does is convert the audio files doesnt it?! I dont get how a dac can affect the quality of the music.. please explain.

Jul 2, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #53 of 59
I thought the Audio-GD Fun was a DAC. 
How are you connected to it... laptop out via...?

Jul 2, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #54 of 59
wow that was pretty fast delivery. where did you order it from?

oh and yes, your Audio-GD FUN is a DAC and an Amp in a single package. You don't need to get a separate DAC.

Jul 2, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #55 of 59

Quote:
Got my Audio-GD Fun, and

HOLY F-ing JESUS!! is all i gotta say!

Do you guys recommend me to get a DAC?

All a dac does is convert the audio files doesnt it?! I dont get how a dac can affect the quality of the music.. please explain.

The Audio-GD fun has a very good DAC built in already.  Digital Analog Converter.  All music on CDs, mp3, etc are digital, as in zeros and ones.  You have to convert that digital signal to analog.  Headphones/speakers are analog.

Now think about this, not all DAC will convert the digital signal to analog the same. The AD1853 in the FUN is considered neutral for a mid-fi DAC.  So you are all set there.  The Wolfson which was the other option for FUN some consider have a warm sound to it.

Hope that helps.  You should connect the Audio-GD fun to your computer via USB and use Foobar2000.  Download the WASAPI and use that in output.  

If you are using windows XP, then download ASIO4All.  And use that as output.

Good luck.

Jul 3, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #56 of 59
HD650 to Audio GD fun via 3.5mm(1/8") plug, and usb is hooked up to the back of the AudioGD fun from my computer.

So to the guy right above me, can you explain one more time. I use windows 7-64bit, do I need to buy any more parts, or download any software?

And I got it off craigslist for everyone wondering lol!

Jul 5, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #57 of 59
well i'm using asus xonar d2 soundcard going thru mini to rca cable feeding the audio-gd c-2c going to the hd 650. clarity is good as well as instrument separation :)

i use foobar 2000 to play my flac and 320 mp3s. on windows 7 64bit i just downloaded asio4all and installed it and nder preferences in foobar, i just selected playback, then output and under asio virtual devices i added the asio4all then i selected asio4all under the output device...

hope this helps you...

although i cannot really discern a difference between asio and normal primary soundcard driver palyback :)

Jul 5, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #58 of 59

Quote:
How bout a Musiland Monitor 02 US?

It has very good dac built in. and has a good amp section for low and high impedance headphones. It could work great for only $150 !

Quote:
Musiland Monitor 02 US?

I use this with my HD600 and they are excellent.

It sounds 90% as good as my Balanced DAC_I + LD MKVII+ setup.

Get the Musiland!

x3. The Musiland 02US is what you're looking for. Small, transportable, and with SQ comparable to amps costing 5-6 times as much (mainly because of its great DAC).

Quote:
I disagree.  I tried both Compass and Fun with HD650, to me I will pick M3 over them anytime.  It is the synergy between the M3 and HD650. 

x2. The M^3 is far superior technically even...not just a matter of synergy here. When used with a Sigma-11 PSU, one would be hard pressed to find a better amp under a grand IME.

Quote:
I don't recommend the gamma1 after owning it, but the M^3 is a good suggestion for my experience with my HD650. The Opus, buffalo, or gamma2 (haven't heard the gamma 2 yet, but seems a little similar to the Opus) seem like better solutions for sources. I love my buffalo. Hey, at least I'm talking from experience here.

Again, I agree. M^3 + Gamma-2 BTW is an excellent combo/setup.

Jul 5, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #59 of 59

Quote:
So to the guy right above me, can you explain one more time. I use windows 7-64bit, do I need to buy any more parts, or download any software?

Nope, unless you wanna use Foobar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back