Sennheiser hd600 vs 650
Aug 10, 2016 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

leofarsiani1

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! i am having a really hard time deciding between the 650 and the 600. I have listened to the 650 but i just felt like they were to dark for my taste. Still i have heard that the 600 are less artiulate and that they have a litle of a muddy bass. I listen to all diferent genres of music. 

Aug 11, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #4 of 20
IMO, the bass on the HD600's isn't all too muddy, just not doesn't have as much slam as other headphones.

Id say you can get the HD600, and later on if you get bored of the neutral-ish sound of them, get an amp that warms up the sound sig, like a Schiit Asgard 2, or a tube amp like the DarkVoice 336E. It's like buying whole new headphones.

Aug 11, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #5 of 20
  IMO, the bass on the HD600's isn't all too muddy, just not doesn't have as much slam as other headphones.

Id say you can get the HD600, and later on if you get bored of the neutral-ish sound of them, get an amp that warms up the sound sig, like a Schiit Asgard 2, or a tube amp like the DarkVoice 336E. It's like buying whole new headphones.

Conversely, recent 650s aren't too coloured, and with a fairly neutral amp, can sound terribly nice and clean.

By this point, the sound isn't too wildly different between them, anyway- and the price is very close too (~£30 in it, last time I looked).  People can listen to both and come to their own conclusions, obviously, but neither is a terrible choice. The weird speckled finish of the 600 is a (very) minor downer, as is the slightly less pleasant cable.. Most people will replace that, anyway- some with the 650 cable, ironically.

I went for 650 in the end, and delighted with the results. Had I gone with the 600, I probably would have been pleased, too, I suspect. Both benefit noticeably from good amplification, mind. They won't sound their best plugged straight into your average smartphone.

Aug 11, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #6 of 20
 By this point, the sound isn't too wildly different between them, anyway- and the price is very close too, if you shop around (~£30 in it, last time I looked).  People can listen to both and come to their own conclusions, obviously, but neither is a terrible choice.

In a perfect world both of these would have always been the exact same price, and you choose 600 for neutral, and 650 for slightly warmer sound. They both really are good choices on their own, it would always be best to a/b them and choose what you prefer.

Aug 11, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #7 of 20
Plugging a headphone into a smartphone or an amp that is not designed to drive the load they present is not a good idea, however, IMO when properly driven most amps have a flat FR and I would not expect one have a tonal difference over another. I would not expect an Asgard 2 to alter the sound as it is both clean and colorless. Yes I own this amp and others.

Aug 11, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #8 of 20

In a perfect world both of these would have always been the exact same price, and you choose 600 for neutral, and 650 for slightly warmer sound. They both really are good choices on their own, it would always be best to a/b them and choose what you prefer.

I can't disagree with this at all. At least the "real world" difference is fairly small now, though- it was a small enough percentage that I don't think it swayed my decision.

Aug 11, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #9 of 20
In a perfect world both of these would have always been the exact same price, and you choose 600 for neutral, and 650 for slightly warmer sound. They both
really are good choices on their own, it would always be best to a/b them and choose what you prefer.

Because the 600 is so rare in Sweden i can get the 650 for less here actually

Aug 11, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #10 of 20
Because the 600 is so rare in Sweden i can get the 650 for less here actually

I compared both side by side for around an hour. The differences were small but noticeable, however, not enough to annoy me. I preferred the HD600 and left the store with them and more money in my wallet. Either can is a pleasure to listen to.

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #11 of 20
Plugging a headphone into a smartphone or an amp that is not designed to drive the load they present is not a good idea, however, IMO when properly driven most amps have a flat FR and I would not expect one have a tonal difference over another. I would not expect an Asgard 2 to alter the sound as it is both clean and colorless. Yes I own this amp and others.

My amp has a output power of 3w/32 ohm this means nothing to me but i believe they can drive quite slugish headphones? Can someone help me understand how strong my amp is? :blush:

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #15 of 20
My amp has a output power of 3w/32 ohm this means nothing to me but i believe they can drive quite slugish headphones? Can someone help me understand how strong my amp is? :blush:

3W at 32 Ohms is plenty for almost any low impedance headphone. The HD600 and HD650 are both rated at 300 Ohms. At a 300 Ohm load an amp has to swing enough Vp-p to generate enough power at 300 Ohms to adequately drive the headphones.
I just turned on my calculator and looked at the HD650 spec sheet. Your amp would need to deliver 167 mW at 300 Ohms to get the HD650 to reach 120 dBSPL which many consider to be the threshold of pain. That is plenty loud. Check the spec sheet for your amp.
Generally, SS amps produce more power at lower impedances than high impedances. Generally, most high impedance headphones require far less power than low impedance headphones. My low impedance planar headphones work well with 1 W.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back