Sennheiser hd600 vs 650
Aug 11, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #18 of 20
3W at 32 Ohms is plenty for almost any low impedance headphone. The HD600 and HD650 are both rated at 300 Ohms. At a 300 Ohm load an amp has to swing enough Vp-p to generate enough power at 300 Ohms to adequately drive the headphones.
I just turned on my calculator and looked at the HD650 spec sheet. Your amp would need to deliver 167 mW at 300 Ohms to get the HD650 to reach 120 dBSPL which many consider to be the threshold of pain. That is plenty loud. Check the spec sheet for your amp.
Generally, SS amps produce more power at lower impedances than high impedances. Generally, most high impedance headphones require far less power than low impedance headphones. My low impedance planar headphones work well with 1 W.

Ahh thanks things are starting to clear up now. Sorry i missed youre post! Thanks for youre help!

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #20 of 20
So no one thinks the base on the 650 are overpowering? Are they still good for classical in youre opinion?

This took me a few reads to parse, but no, not in my case. I enjoy my HD650 out of my Chord Mojo with various classical recordings. It's not flabby or overwhelming, but actually rather nice- again assuming proper amping. With an underpowered amp, it seems to sound insipid and flabby.

Admittedly, when a large orchestra drops the bass with a vengeance, it can be a bit of a shock in the 650s, but it's supposed to be. It's not like the horrible mushy riceboy hatchback sound that you might associate with Beats or something.. plenty of detail there.

The lows in Jupiter from The Planets Suite sound better on some decent Stax, but you'd hope that was the case, for about ten times the price :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back