Sennheiser HD600 or HD650 ?
May 21, 2017 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Renato Fury

500+ Head-Fier
Next, I'm in doubt about which of the two I should buy, they say that one has a more natural sound because it has more trebles and the other one sounds more fun because it has more bass, but I have no idea what that means in practice because I I never had a hi-fi headphone, but what I want is a headphone with balanced frequencies to watch movies and listen to music from the genres: electronic, pop, rap, rock and instrumental, which ones do you advise me ?

May 21, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 29
I have both. The 600 is more neutral, has more treble energy and less bass (than the 650). I would also say that the 650 is probably a bit more detailed. A bit, not a ton. Both are very comfortable, IMO. Both have intimate soundstages. Both really need an amp. Do you have an amp? You are looking for a neutral headphone?

May 21, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 29
I have both. The 600 is more neutral, has more treble energy and less bass (than the 650). I would also say that the 650 is probably a bit more detailed. A bit, not a ton. Both are very comfortable, IMO. Both have intimate soundstages. Both really need an amp. Do you have an amp? You are looking for a neutral headphone?
I do not have an amplifier and I will not even buy the Schiit Magni 2 and Modi 2, but I'm looking for a very eclectic and natural headphone to listen to music of all genres, I like electronic music more but I do not like headphones Basshead, I want something to be able to listen to acoustic and instrumental songs too, which one do you recommend ?

May 21, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 29
I do not have an amplifier and I will not even buy the Schiit Magni 2 and Modi 2, but I'm looking for a very eclectic and natural headphone to listen to music of all genres, I like electronic music more but I do not like headphones Basshead, I want something to be able to listen to acoustic and instrumental songs too, which one do you recommend ?

We don't normally think of the HD600 as an electronic music headphone. That said, you've outlined a desire for an 'eclectic' headphone and the HD600 would certainly be that choice for electronic. For several genres, it is ideal (jazz, acoustic, chamber, some rock, bluegrass). For others, not so much. To me, the HD650 is the more versatile of the two. Probably better for electronic and some rock/metal. Maybe movies, too. So, what's the better choice? Of these two, I would say the HD650 (even though there are other options out there with better soundstages, for example) is probably the better choice of the two. It's more versatile, IMO. So that would probably be my choice.

May 21, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 29
We don't normally think of the HD600 as an electronic music headphone. That said, you've outlined a desire for an 'eclectic' headphone and the HD600 would certainly be that choice for electronic. For several genres, it is ideal (jazz, acoustic, chamber, some rock, bluegrass). For others, not so much. To me, the HD650 is the more versatile of the two. Probably better for electronic and some rock/metal. Maybe movies, too. So, what's the better choice? Of these two, I would say the HD650 (even though there are other options out there with better soundstages, for example) is probably the better choice of the two. It's more versatile, IMO. So that would probably be my choice.
Top choices ? From examples in the same price range of these headphones.

May 21, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #6 of 29
Truthfully, with your interests, I would go with a closed headphone probably, most likely. Maybe a MEZE 99 Classics or a B&W P7, for example. An NAD HP50. All would be better with electronic music probably than an HD600 and would still do a good job with the rest of the genres. For a bit more money, might also consider a TH-X00--really good option. Just my opinions, others may disagree, of course. For an open solution, I still like the HD650 or the HE400i, which is also quite good.

May 21, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 29
Next, I'm in doubt about which of the two I should buy, they say that one has a more natural sound because it has more trebles and the other one sounds more fun because it has more bass, but I have no idea what that means in practice because I I never had a hi-fi headphone, but what I want is a headphone with balanced frequencies to watch movies and listen to music from the genres: electronic, pop, rap, rock and instrumental, which ones do you advise me ?

That's not an accurate way to describe them. The HD600 having a peak at 3500hz, plus an earlier bass roll-off, isn't automatically "more natural" when the HD650 has a generally smoother response curve shape on either side of 1000hz, except it's louder below 1000hz than it is at above 1000hz.

So in short, it's more a matter of what compromise you can live with. Can you live with a 3500hz peak and bass that's weaker than 1000hz by the time it goes below 45hz, plus a marble blue finish? Or would you pay more for a generally smoother response curve shape with no peaks but has a bass plateau, as well as for a dark grey finish?

May 21, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 29
That's not an accurate way to describe them. The HD600 having a peak at 3500hz, plus an earlier bass roll-off, isn't automatically "more natural" when the HD650 has a generally smoother response curve shape on either side of 1000hz, except it's louder below 1000hz than it is at above 1000hz.

So in short, it's more a matter of what compromise you can live with. Can you live with a 3500hz peak and bass that's weaker than 1000hz by the time it goes below 45hz, plus a marble blue finish? Or would you pay more for a generally smoother response curve shape with no peaks but has a bass plateau, as well as for a dark grey finish?
So it pays more to get the HD600?

May 22, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #10 of 29
You shouldn't buy the hd600 or the hd650 without an amp. They are 300ohm and you won't be able to get the best out of them, or get them loud enough.
Also consider that buying an open back headphones means you can't listen to them outside your house.
Yes of course, in the case I'm going to buy the schiit equipment, the magni 2 and the modi 2 and yes, I intend to use it only at home.

May 22, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #11 of 29
IMO if this is your first hifi headphone for home use don't think too much. You most likely will love both no matter which one you buy. They are both great headphones - just dont plug them into a phone or IPod.
I had a HD580 plugged directly into the CD player for 15 years and loved the sound experience enormously.
Don't let all the nerd talk too much into your head at this point :)
Have fun and best of luck!

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #13 of 29
I'm am very close from buying a pair of HD650's. I want detailed open headphones that can challenge my sony XBA300 triple BA IEM's, is there any other choices I can consider around 350€?

May 22, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #14 of 29
Here is what Sennheiser told my father when he called them a couple weeks ago and asked the same question. If you are a critical listener and looking for every detail in the music, studio work, then go with the HD600 if you want to sit back and enjoy the music then the HD650. The HD600 will cause ear fatigue after long sessions where the HD650 will not.

Disclaimer: I have no experience with either pair and others will probably have their own opinion but I thought I would pass on what he was told.

May 22, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #15 of 29
Here is what Sennheiser told my father when he called them a couple weeks ago and asked the same question. If you are a critical listener and looking for every detail in the music, studio work, then go with the HD600 if you want to sit back and enjoy the music then the HD650. The HD600 will cause ear fatigue after long sessions where the HD650 will not.

Disclaimer: I have no experience with either pair and others will probably have their own opinion but I thought I would pass on what he was told.

I don't really find my HD600 fatiguing, even with longish listening sessions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back