Sennheiser HD600 not quite there (moved from PXC450)
Apr 23, 2013 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

oriphinz

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

Lucky 1st post :) I have been a lurker here for awhile but never registered.

For the last 2 years i have been using a pair of PXC 450 cans for about 4-8h a day, about a year ago i made some modifications to the to further improve the sound (3 small bass ports in the sealed enclosures and some acoustic dampening material. About 6 months ago the 'leather' earpads started splitting at the glue seams, then the skin of the leather started degrading and separating from the fabric it was glued to.

I amp them with Fiio E9 which has been good enough.

So anyway after alot of research i decided to purchase a pair of HD600s, i ordered these from overseas without pre auditioning as its very difficult to buy good headphones where i am locally. 

I have spent a few hours playing with them and have found the bass handling dosn't seem to come close to what the PXC 450s provide (this is enhanced by the mods i made but it thought the open backs of the HD600s would allow less restricted driver actuation).

If i try to effect this with EQ i find the all the bright tones turn to mud :frowning2:

Regardless still happy with them!

As ill be using these at home and not work ill need a new amp :) It will preferably be a desk amp that has DAC but can also take input from RCAs. Any suggestions? I have looked over the thread in the search and leaning towards a Little Dot MK III and a separate DAC (or using the audio chipset built into my PC which is supposed to be quite good). Happy to buy pre loved as well :)

Pic incoming :)

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 11
my setup currently is the hd600 paired with the odac and project sunrise ii and I have to say they work really well.
I had the e7 e9 combo before and they are only "good enough"
as tube rolling can become expensive have you considered a hybrid amp?

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 11
You could start with a Matrix M-Stage with DAC, I have personally found my HD600 to be more matched with solid state amps. HD650 handles bass better but I prefer the balance of the HD600.
Modi Magni pair also should be quite nice. 

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
my setup currently is the hd600 paired with the odac and project sunrise ii and I have to say they work really well.
I had the e7 e9 combo before and they are only "good enough"
as tube rolling can become expensive have you considered a hybrid amp?

Thank you ill take a look at those :) I havn't considered a hybrid amp to be honest, ill do some research on them. The main reason i jumped a tubes is because i know how much better my tube guitar amp sounded compared to the solid state one but thats a totally different context to it cant hurt to look :)

Quote:
You could start with a Matrix M-Stage with DAC, I have personally found my HD600 to be more matched with solid state amps. HD650 handles bass better but I prefer the balance of the HD600.
Modi Magni pair also should be quite nice. 

Funny you mention that i am watching one of those on ebay right now, its not in the best condition but comes with a Beresford TC-7520 DAC, Both for $350. Do you think they are worth that together?

Ill take a look at the Modi Magni :)

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #6 of 11
[size=13.0pt]Running mine with the Schiit M&M stack and I love what this combo gives me! Only other amp/dac that I have listened to is the Fiio E10 with my 600's... For me there was really no comparison between the two setups… Although I keep the E10 for when I am traveling since it’s small and just usb powered it’s good in certain situations.  [/size]

May 2, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #9 of 11
Personally I would start with a Schiit Asgard or Valhalla for your HD600 then go for a DAS like the Modi next. The Schiit just make Sennheiser sing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back