Sennheiser HD600 (less than 100 dollar AMP)
Feb 1, 2012 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Cassadian

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I was just wondering which amp to pair with my future Sennheiser HD600's that could be under 100 dollars.  

For my DAC, I will probably buy the D3 due to its relatively neutral tone and great quality for it's price range (30$) and for the AMP's I have currently seen two great ones under 100 dollars which are the Bravo Audio V2 (intriguing tube AMP) and the FiiO E9.

From what I have read, the E9 while able to power the HD600's to a higher volume than the Audio V2's, the V2's offer for a more organic and natural sound uncovering the infamous veiled quality that accompanies the HD600's.

Or possibly extend my budget and get the Little Dot 1+

I've also thought about waiting to get a DAC/AMP combo, but not sure if the E17 could drive the Sennheiser HD600's or whether or not I could even get my hands one.

I'm very inexperienced, so advice is helpful T_T

Thanks,
:p

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 8
Get Objective2, pushes my HD600 fine and sounds great for its money

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #4 of 8
Go to a thrift store, pawn shop, or garage sale and get yourself a nice old stereo receiver.  Those sound pretty darn good and will drive the Senns just fine.  I can't say I'm a fan of the new crop of $100 amps, a la FiiO.

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Hi,

I was just wondering which amp to pair with my future Sennheiser HD600's that could be under 100 dollars.  

Take note that here on Head-Fi a lot of threads that start like this will spend as the succeeding posts say only to be renewed in another thread this time with a higher budget and looking for something to do better than the initial purchase. You might want to consider just spending a bit more now considering you're already sure what headphones you'll use, and I suggest that if you do like them, don't buy any other cans and concentrate on the gear that will work well with them.

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Take note that here on Head-Fi a lot of threads that start like this will spend as the succeeding posts say only to be renewed in another thread this time with a higher budget and looking for something to do better than the initial purchase. You might want to consider just spending a bit more now considering you're already sure what headphones you'll use, and I suggest that if you do like them, don't buy any other cans and concentrate on the gear that will work well with them.

The thing is that I don't have anymore than 130-150 dollars to spend on an amplifier.  So it's not that I don't want to make the investment but rather I can't.

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
The thing is that I don't have anymore than 130-150 dollars to spend on an amplifier.  So it's not that I don't want to make the investment but rather I can't.

If you can stretch that a bit higher I'd rather you go for the E9-E7 combo. If you have a good source though and won't plan to use a computer as your source, I'd say go for the Little Dot 1+.  But read up on the O2 amp kyoshiro suggested; I haven't yet but it might have enough voltage for the HD600.

As an additional note about the costs of HD600 ownership, the earpads are about $60+shipping a pair and it's about $15+shipping for the headband pads; sometimes it might depend on the distributor in your country. No problems if you're in North America or Europe though. So in case you find they sound a little "off" and "muddy" after putting over 1,000 hours on them, check the pads before you look for a new amp.  
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #8 of 8
O2 has the voltage (stock parts no extra gain) to push the HD600 fine, tested it with my HD600 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back