Sennheiser HD600 + Grado SR325is = ?
May 16, 2014 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bigbenrfan99

100+ Head-Fier
I have recently acquired both a Sennheiser HD600 and a Grado SR325is.  For the time being, I am likely going to have to figure out which one I want to keep and sell the other, which is going to be a challenge.  I listen to about 90% rock/metal, although most of it is not "hardcore," for lack of a better word.  I listen to a lot of classic rock, for instance.  What I have found is that faster, more electric guitar-oriented rock can sound better on the Grado, while bands like Fleetwood Mac sound better (to me) on the HD600.

What I am wondering is this: is there a headphone (any price) that really captures the best of both headphones?  Specifically, I like the comfort, soundstage, overall balanced sound, lack of sibilance, and forgiving nature of the HD600.  Meanwhile, I like the crunch of guitars, snap of drums, speed, and detail of the SR325is.  I have seen many posts of this site saying that nothing sounds like a Grado.  Perhaps higher-end Grados are what I'm looking for?  Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

May 16, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 6
Two very different / opposing kinds of sound.  I don't think a headphone exists that hits on the strengths of one, without sacrificing something of the other.... and vise-versa.  On a similar note I have an RS1 and HD650, having owned both the HD600 and SR325i in the past.  Somewhat in between all them is the K701, although it betters them in terms of imaging and soundstage.  Still I often use the AKG white wonder for those times when I tire of the wood Grado energy, or smooth soothing nature Sennheiser... and I want something else.  The K/Q701 I think could fill a similar role for you.

Like you my headphones have managed to fall into different preferential buckets kind of like this:

RS1 = Metallica, Iron Maiden, Queensryche, Queen, Dreamtheater, Jethro Tull, Savatage, Stevie Ray
K701 = Moody Blues, Marillion, Pink Floyd, Yes, Dixie Dregs
HD650 = Beatles, Steve Miller Band, Rush, Blue Oyster cult, Styx, Genesis, Asia

But I bounce things around a lot.  One things for certain, Sennheisers are my preference for poorly mastered recordings.  I am not sure what it is specifically about them, but they just seem to work, while the RS1 and K701 are like nails on chalkboard.  It pains me to no end as an Alex Lifeson and Steve Howe fan... that I can not listen to Rush or Asia on my RS1/K701.

IMHO its easier to amp and source "energy" into a Sennheiser, than it is to smooth, mellow and ambiently space out a Grado.
You mention scaling up the Grado ladder.  Thats definitely one direction to go.  I stopped at the RS1, the GS1000 is a little too treble "spikey" over the upper mids for my tastes.  The RS1i is a step up from the SR325i, in terms of clarity and instrument separation.  Neither though are really strong at imaging and soundstage depth.

May 16, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 6
  Two very different / opposing kinds of sound.  I don't think a headphone exists that hits on the strengths of one, without sacrificing something of the other.... and vise-versa.  On a similar note I have an RS1 and HD650, having owned both the HD600 and SR325i in the past.  Somewhat in between all them is the K701, although it betters them in terms of imaging and soundstage.  Still I often use the AKG white wonder for those times when I tire of the wood Grado energy, or smooth soothing nature Sennheiser... and I want something else.  The K/Q701 I think could fill a similar role for you.

Like you my headphones have managed to fall into different preferential buckets kind of like this:

RS1 = Metallica, Iron Maiden, Queensryche, Queen, Dreamtheater, Jethro Tull, Savatage, Stevie Ray
K701 = Moody Blues, Marillion, Pink Floyd, Yes, Dixie Dregs
HD650 = Beatles, Steve Miller Band, Rush, Blue Oyster cult, Styx, Genesis, Asia

But I bounce things around a lot.  One things for certain, Sennheisers are my preference for poorly mastered recordings.  I am not sure what it is specifically about them, but they just seem to work, while the RS1 and K701 are like nails on chalkboard.  It pains me to no end as an Alex Lifeson and Steve Howe fan... that I can not listen to Rush or Asia on my RS1/K701.

IMHO its easier to amp and source "energy" into a Sennheiser, than it is to smooth, mellow and ambiently space out a Grado.
You mention scaling up the Grado ladder.  Thats definitely one direction to go.  I stopped at the RS1, the GS1000 is a little too treble "spikey" over the upper mids for my tastes.  The RS1i is a step up from the SR325i, in terms of clarity and instrument separation.  Neither though are really strong at imaging and soundstage depth.

This is definitely useful information.  I agree with you about Metallica and Iron Maiden sounding great with the SR325is (although there was some weird popping noise during the acoustic guitar intro at the beginning of One that I have never heard before).  Dream Theater sounds great with both the Grados and Senns to me.  I also agree with you that the Beatles, Rush, Blue Oyster Cult, and Styx sound great with the HD600.  I can barely listen to Asia with even my HD439 without noticing the poor recording quality.  I will definitely have to listen to some Queen and Queensryche on the Grados today.

I actually think the HD600 with my setup has a good amount of energy and impact, although not as much as the SR325is.  Do you think maybe considering higher end AKG models would still provide a middle ground, or do they have a different sound signature than the Q/K701?

May 16, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 6
Cool deal... Aside from the K1000, I haven't heard the newer higher end AKGs yet.  FWIW I am very happy with my 701, I might get the Quincy model some day but I am in no hurry.

Heres some of my fave Queen and Queensryche tracks.

May 16, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 6
ah, Innuendo... if there's such thing as heaven, this is it. I have to listen to this with the Grado's... someday

the K701QJ is just 200 bucks at amazon.com, worth a try maybe?

May 16, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 6
  ah, Innuendo... if there's such thing as heaven, this is it. I have to listen to this with the Grado's... someday

the K701QJ is just 200 bucks at amazon.com, worth a try maybe?

Yeah that Queen tune is LOADED, a real beast of a recording.  Every instrument and vocal in it is multi-tracked and layered one over the other... yet it still manages to sound very live and they managed to keep it from sounding over post-processed and stale.  My HD650 makes it all sound mushy and sloppy.  While the RS1 and K701 manage to keep all the tracks separated, where you can pick out Brian May track 1, 2, 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back