Sennheiser HD599 - first impressions.
Sep 13, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #31 of 144
And i had it... just for one week. While the construction is solid and it is a dream to wear, the low mids, high bass dominate all the scene making the signature totally wrong for me. Voices without overtones are dull and the highs so muted and less detailed than the 598. Not for me at all even at the 99 euro spent for this. I changed it for an alessandro ms1. Better in any possible way
You are right about high bass increased n high mids a bit recessed in hd599, but i think this tweaking contributes to more separation of sound n a bit more soundstage widening...what say?

Sep 15, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #32 of 144
Guys these cans sound even much much better after 100 hours of burn in time...instrument separation becomes much better n so soundstage...n then they become so much addictive...plus they are so much lighter n comfortable...i've spent nights listening music with these...though the veiled character to the sound which is typical of Sennheiser (according to what I've heard by expert reviewers like metal571 etc) i feel is still there...may be that increases the soundstage a bit...

Attachments

• 1568606039352..jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
Sep 16, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #33 of 144
You are right about high bass increased n high mids a bit recessed in hd599, but i think this tweaking contributes to more separation of sound n a bit more soundstage widening...what say?

Maybe, but a wrong representation of tones and overtones of the human voice made it very Strange to hear. My priority is the realism, so...

Nov 1, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #34 of 144
Plug your sennheiser 599 into a Mecca Origen G2 amp/dac. Incredible sound. $110 from Amazon. After watching YouTube videos, I decided to give it a try.

Jan 6, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #35 of 144
Anyone can say me if the difference between 599 and 599SE is only color ?
599S seems more a "cheap edition" than a "special".
Build or painting quality is the same of the original ?

Why the price is lower ? And Why is selled only by Amaz0n ?
Is possible an inferior quality control or that use the Sennheiser waste components ?

Jan 6, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #36 of 144
Exactly the same. Only the color is different. I do not know why it only sold to Amazon. One of my three headphones is the Sennheiser 599 se.

Jan 6, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #37 of 144
Exactly the same. Only the color is different. I do not know why it only sold to Amazon. One of my three headphones is the Sennheiser 599 se.
Ok, but the painting quality is perfect ? Or there are some imperfections you can see or you can fell touching ?
I ask this because i suspect its a repainted by Amazon, and this should not be a great thing.

Jan 6, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #38 of 144
It's not repainted, everything is the same quality-wise, but expect inferior packaging than regular ivory model. Black is exclusive color available only at amazon in collaboration with Sennheiser to boost sales by aggresive price cut. It's nothing new as amazon did same thing with 598, 598SE (updated headband), and now 599. They also sell wireles HD 4.50 in black.

Jan 7, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #39 of 144
Guys these cans sound even much much better after 100 hours of burn in time...instrument separation becomes much better n so soundstage...n then they become so much addictive...plus they are so much lighter n comfortable...i've spent nights listening music with these...though the veiled character to the sound which is typical of Sennheiser (according to what I've heard by expert reviewers like metal571 etc) i feel is still there...may be that increases the soundstage a bit...
HD 650 is easier going on the highs and the mids than these. 599 sounds like the Rtings graph to me. It's a pretty upper mid focused can, and iirc basically sounds like a 598 with a bit better extension on the bass. They were too expensive when I first reviewed it but running at $99 now for the 599SE on sale it's a steal.

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #41 of 144
Guess it depends on what pair will you get. I went through 5 pairs of these and there are basically two types of tunning - one with wide soundstage, but somewhat boomy looser mellow bass almost identical headphone to 598 with same level of midbass hump I guess metal got that one based on his thoughts and YouTube review. The other type has more aggresive sound, less midbass hump, more dynamics, tighter more impactful bass kick, but a bit narrower soundstage. First one is like sennheiser oldschool 5 series lineup, while the other is more in trend with 58X and 660S. Which one you prefer and if you wanna play a lottery ticket is totally up to you, but if you get one and not be fully satisfied get at least one replacement to compare.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #42 of 144
Rtings Revews is REALIABLE ?
Reading specially the comment about sound performace can i take its impressions as trusted ?
lol no. I use them to look at graphs because they have a decent (same as Tyll's) Head Acoustics HMS HATS. In this case my ears agree, but they don't always agree with measurements. It is not necessary at all to read their impressions when they're presenting you with data you can read.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #43 of 144
lol no. I use them to look at graphs because they have a decent (same as Tyll's) Head Acoustics HMS HATS. In this case my ears agree, but they don't always agree with measurements. It is not necessary at all to read their impressions when they're presenting you with data you can read.
Ok
Can you say me some sites where i can found trusted reviewer sites with this kind of misurations of headphones ?

Jan 13, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #45 of 144
Hi

I bought an HD599 SE this week.
Im using it with a SoundBlasterX G6 DAC.

Is normal that at first listening the headphone sounds horrible ?
After 10 hours of burn-in, now sounds better but i still found the female voice ( male voice is ok ) sighly recessed and the bass extensions that bloods in some songs.

How many hours of burn-in are necessary after can i take a decision of sound performance ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back